Author Topic: Gamve Killer is Happening.  (Read 30398 times)

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
Re: Gamve Killer is Happening.
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 07:21:03 PM »
We share your excitement,  not long now.....   :)
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline gamve

• Liked: 219
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2011, 10:42:42 PM »
The killer is here and has been installed and commissioned. Spent the evening listening to some of Steven's
excellent discs and finished off with a few of my standard reference discs.
I realize that the unit will need some 100's of hours for all the components to get comfortable and that some
extensive tuning will be required but OMG  :o this thing is doing it's stuff strait out of the box so to speak.
I am pretty happy with my analog gear but could never get anywhere near close with the digital equipment.
This has been pissing me off for years. My main aim with the purchase of a KillerDac was to hopefully bridge
this gap. I was given some excellent and helpful advice from members on this forum and I would like to thank
these people (you know who you are) for steering me in the right direction. From my quick listen tonight it's
fairly apparent that I have finally found what I am looking for  ;D
I still have a grin on my face that you could not remove with a house brick. Steven you have a very happy
customer.

Offline audiophool

• Liked: 3
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2011, 11:40:04 PM »
An auspicious sounding start to what will hopefully be a long and mutually satisfying relationship - thumbs up thingy
Sounds like all the hoping and wishing and praying (to quote Dusty) has paid off.
I have much jealousy but happy for you too.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2011, 02:57:11 PM »
Well done.  I know how you feel.   And there are more gains to come.  For now, run it in and enjoy the music.

tuyen

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2011, 06:11:18 PM »
Congrats Graham!  The same feeling of joy and happiness a father gets after his first born!!   Now the journey begins as you take on the role of raising it into an ultimate killer.  :D

PS. I don't actually have a clue of what feeling being a father to a new born is like.

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2011, 12:03:57 AM »
Congratz gamve! Hope you'll get you more magic out of it! Enjoy  :)
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline gamve

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2011, 06:41:05 PM »
Congrats Graham!  The same feeling of joy and happiness a father gets after his first born!!   Now the journey begins as you take on the role of raising it into an ultimate killer.  :D

PS. I don't actually have a clue of what feeling being a father to a new born is like.

Tuyen, you have hit the nail on it's head. Listening to the killer is like falling in love (again). Still have the same big stoopid grin on my face like you would not believe  ;D

speakerman1

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2011, 11:13:12 PM »
Hi
This is my 1st post. Gamve and I are good friend although a few miles apart. Is there a link to purchase the board and other things like the kit. I am in the US do you have a kit for our voltage.

We are the audio tape company that Graham just wrote about. Will this DAC improve my tubed Shanling? I have tried; but nothing has beat it yet.

Thanks
Larry

Offline Hens

• Liked: 0
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2011, 12:02:41 PM »
Really depends on what your after as to whether its an "improvement"

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2011, 09:46:48 PM »
We are the audio tape company that Graham just wrote about. Will this DAC improve my tubed Shanling? I have tried; but nothing has beat it yet.
Hi Larry,   which Shanling model are you using exactly?

I own a Shanling SCD-300 , which has tube outputs.   My Killerdac murders it.  

But there are many Shanling models, and they all are different.   BTW,  I prefer the XLR outputs on my Shanling to the unbalanced RCA's  (the xlr's are not tube based,  the tube output stage on my model is average, IMHO).  

Offline gamve

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2011, 11:36:13 AM »
Welded in some UTC G-02088 10Henry 150ohm 150mA chokes this morning for a trial.
These are physically much bigger than the chokes Steven installed in the original build
so much so that I doubt fitting them in the standard case will be possible.
On first impressions I would say bigger is better. Sound is more fleshed out and fuller,
dynamics seem to have improved. Background is also much quieter.
These buggers might be the ticket

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2011, 03:52:36 PM »
gamve, could you take some pics of the UTC? I have a feeling we almost went into a bidding war if you got them off eBay (US eBay no?)

Cheers,
William

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2011, 10:22:44 AM »
gamve, could you take some pics of the UTC? I have a feeling we almost went into a bidding war if you got them off eBay (US eBay no?)

Cheers,
William

I'm looking at getting these:

T

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2011, 12:16:11 PM »

Cheers,
William

T

Lundahl C Core? Nice....  :)

What do you think about finemet T? Like this one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200641359267?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Cheers,
William

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2011, 02:45:40 PM »

Cheers,
William

T

What do you think about finemet T? Like this one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200641359267?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Cheers,
William

Bingo!  I like the layer wound construction of the LL's.

WRT finemet - yes have been checking them out. On paper the specs look good but I haven't tried anything with this
core or know anyone who has.

The feastrex stuff is overpriced and I suggest if we find they do indeed sound significantly better I'll get some made locally.

I'm pretty sure the cores are not that expensive. But I don't have the time to go into it presently.

T

Offline gamve

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2011, 08:02:26 PM »

Cheers,
William
will do William but a bit later on. I have them sitting on top of the dac and a shelf only 50.0mm or so above so it's really hard to photograph at the moment. Will disconnect early next week take a photo then try them wired in the reverse direction. These things are a bugger to solder. My iron does not seem to get the terminals hot enough. I made connections but they look sh!t. Still works but I would be happier with nice joints. Would a gas/butane powered iron be better for this type of work?

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2011, 08:05:31 PM »

Cheers,
William
Would a gas/butane powered iron be better for this type of work?
Just get a mig or tig welder out gamve that will do it ;)
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2011, 11:07:05 PM »

Cheers,
William
will do William but a bit later on. I have them sitting on top of the dac and a shelf only 50.0mm or so above so it's really hard to photograph at the moment. Will disconnect early next week take a photo then try them wired in the reverse direction. These things are a bugger to solder. My iron does not seem to get the terminals hot enough. I made connections but they look sh!t. Still works but I would be happier with nice joints. Would a gas/butane powered iron be better for this type of work?

No worries gamve, not sure about the butane powered soldering iron, never use them before, sorry can't help much....
How's your amp project going?

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2011, 11:24:16 PM »

Cheers,
William

T

Cheers,
William

Bingo!  I like the layer wound construction of the LL's.

WRT finemet - yes have been checking them out. On paper the specs look good but I haven't tried anything with this
core or know anyone who has.

The feastrex stuff is overpriced and I suggest if we find they do indeed sound significantly better I'll get some made locally.

I'm pretty sure the cores are not that expensive. But I don't have the time to go into it presently.

T

I agree, the price is prohibitive...well at least for me. If there's an alternative to Feastres which is more reasonably priced, I wouldn't mind to try...

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2011, 12:03:35 AM »
How about we all put in together and buy a set of Feastres chokes send around the country to killer dac owners for feed back if we dont like them we sell them that way we dont loose that many hard earned  $$$$$?????? :) :) :)
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time