Author Topic: DIY Power Cable  (Read 40431 times)

Offline data

• Liked: 24
Re: DIY Power Cable
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2012, 02:34:57 AM »
I'll add this DIY cable to my list of "To Do's"

The list just gets bigger and bigger  ::)

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2012, 03:14:40 AM »
This will help shortening your "To Do" list....http://www.merlincables.com/index.php?app=gbu0&ns=prodshow&ref=dragonmains and making your bank balance smaller too!!!  ;D
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline data

• Liked: 24
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2012, 03:17:31 AM »
 :o

I'll stay with my list I think  :D

Offline braddo

• Liked: 2
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2012, 01:28:29 PM »
I made a couple of these over the weekend (bunnings 1mm solid core and cheap connectors, no aluminium foil and no ferrite ring cause I didn't have much time).
Have only tried these in my brothers speaker system so far hooked up to transport and DAC, and was a real nice improvement. Will be checking them out in my headphone setup through the week and comparing to some commercial aftermarket cables, I've got a LOT of different combinations to try now.
Had the same feeling walking into Bunnings the other day as I would walking into a hi-fi store or great record store ;D. Loving this DIY stuff.

Will be trying different DIY power cables over the coming months. One thing the 1mm seems a tad unsafe cause it breaks so easy when connecting it to connectors I'm going to try thicker solid core will make me feel a lot better.

Too much fun this is starting to take over everything else in my life :P
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 01:30:44 PM by braddo »

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2012, 02:33:52 AM »
I made a couple of these over the weekend (bunnings 1mm solid core and cheap connectors, no aluminium foil and no ferrite ring cause I didn't have much time).
Have only tried these in my brothers speaker system so far hooked up to transport and DAC, and was a real nice improvement. Will be checking them out in my headphone setup through the week and comparing to some commercial aftermarket cables, I've got a LOT of different combinations to try now.
Had the same feeling walking into Bunnings the other day as I would walking into a hi-fi store or great record store ;D. Loving this DIY stuff.

Will be trying different DIY power cables over the coming months. One thing the 1mm seems a tad unsafe cause it breaks so easy when connecting it to connectors I'm going to try thicker solid core will make me feel a lot better.

Be careful using thicker gauge solid core cable, that will change the sound, and may end up too thick and full, sometimes i offset the solid core with the same cable type, thick gauge multistrand for the earth. PS, use the screws to clamp it, then solder the plugs on. Better sound.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 02:18:23 AM by stevenvalve »

Offline braddo

« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2012, 10:10:51 AM »
Multistrand for earth is a great idea. Yeah I kinda thought thicker gauge would do that to the sound but was going to experiment anyway cause I wasn't sure, maybe now I'll save my time. I found similar effects from solid core ic's I was playing around with, I started thicker and went thinner till I found the right gauge (ended up going .25), but, that is for my headphone rig, I'm going to repeat the process with IC's for my speakers.

Thanks for the tip Steven :). I have no problem with 1mm solid core PC's I just disconnect when not using. My brother though, leaves DAC and transport on 24/7 so not so safe if a wire does break or crack or whatever, he may have to go with multistrand for source equipment. I'll have a chat with him he's a pretty cluey techie so we'll come to some conclusion, some way around it, I'm sure.

Haven't soldered yet, but do plan to, and plan on some better connectors too.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2012, 02:24:31 AM »
Multistrand for earth is a great idea. Yeah I kinda thought thicker gauge would do that to the sound but was going to experiment anyway cause I wasn't sure, maybe now I'll save my time. I found similar effects from solid core ic's I was playing around with, I started thicker and went thinner till I found the right gauge (ended up going .25), but, that is for my headphone rig, I'm going to repeat the process with IC's for my speakers.

Thanks for the tip Steven :). I have no problem with 1mm solid core PC's I just disconnect when not using. My brother though, leaves DAC and transport on 24/7 so not so safe if a wire does break or crack or whatever, he may have to go with multistrand for source equipment. I'll have a chat with him he's a pretty cluey techie so we'll come to some conclusion, some way around it, I'm sure.

Haven't soldered yet, but do plan to, and plan on some better connectors too.
I use old connectors, 1930s/40s /50s only the ones made with copper insides and plug leads, hard to find perfect ones. The new plugs made today are junk. Use copper.

Offline braddo

« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2012, 02:45:33 PM »
Yeah I'm sticking with copper where ever possible. The Furutech etc. get expensive, but, there is a way around everything.
Listened to these cables last night in my system with phones. Wow terrific stuff, everything improved, and so CLEAN. More than enough to keep me happy till I plan my next move, not bad for $55. 8)

I also cut the figure 8 connector off the end of a cheap cable and connected it to an external IEC plug. I'm using this as a small adapter for putting a good cable into my CDP/transport until I open the player up and install a proper IEC in a few weeks time. Worked better than I imagined.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 02:47:50 PM by braddo »

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »

i used to visit elecrtical wholesalers for wire it was like disneyland
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2012, 07:42:44 AM »
I had a 5m cat cable break the other day, so I used it to make a power cable.   I heard 1 made from cat cable up at Steven's and it was very good.

So I start stripping the twisted pair wires, and found it was multi strand, which took me by surprise.  I was under the impression cat cables were all a fine gauge solid core on each wire.

Anyway, I continued on.  By the time I stripped off the wires on each end, and twisted the bare wire together,  it ended up being a freaking thick bundle of copper.   I used a full cat cable twisted together for positive, and also negative,   And then I used bunnings multistrand ground wire for ground.  All wires platted.   No shielding at this point.   

The end result is a good sounding power cable.   I'll have to make 1 the same way from the solid core type of cat cable.

I also bought a power cable with Furutech gold connectors on each end (au type). This cable cost me a little,  those connectors aren't cheap.   But it sounds very very good.   I'll post some pics shortly.
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline braddo

« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2012, 09:53:47 AM »
Sorry to keep dragging this on but it's so interesting. I have 3 homemade solid cores, one eichman experss PC, and a Harmonix Studio Master which I picked up for well under half price used. The Harmonix is 4m-4.5m (hard to measure) multi strand, and I use in the DAC. Now, with all 4 other cables in the system, the Harmonix + DAC combo sounds like sh!t. The sound is just too big, puts everything out of wack the musicians sound out of tune and time!, soundstage shrinks, bass out of control. So I've changed some things around took it out of the wall and put in the power outlet, better but still too big, now it works best feeding my power outlet (til I mod my transport and I'll try it with that). PC's make no difference?? :o ???I have to match these as I do all other equipment.

My brother comes over last night with a variety of multi-strand cable from the wholesalers, and were gonna do a lot of experimenting. Going to try Carol, Beldon etc. So like ozmillsy, we'll make some different styles and play around a bit.

Oh, BTW the Studio Master has Wattgate and Furutech connectors (who those who are interested).
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 10:04:07 AM by braddo »

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2012, 12:32:14 PM »
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline ozcal

« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2012, 06:07:52 PM »
Interesting stuff guy's.
I use my power drill to make up twisted pairs or twisted pair plus earth for power cables . Saves a lot of time .
Listening with my ears :)

Offline treblid

• Liked: 15
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2012, 10:19:45 AM »
So I start stripping the twisted pair wires, and found it was multi strand, which took me by surprise.  I was under the impression cat cables were all a fine gauge solid core on each wire.
There are two types of UTP - solid core for in wall and long distance run, and multistrand for patch cables (short run from patch panel to routers/switches/etc)... Reason for stranded coz patch leads are short so signal loss isn't a problem, and the flexibility to twist and turn is desirable in small areas.. Stranded cable is actually pretty hard to buy in bulk, or at least I couldn't find them the last time I looked when I wired up my place.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yarbo-GY-8000PW-Audiophile-Power-Cable-Cord-Per-1M-/220736507349?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3364ebcdd5

they come in different configurations i use one on my cd transport
You like them? These are the cables I'm gonna try next when I have time..