Author Topic: Resistor games  (Read 81230 times)

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
Re: Resistor games
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2014, 10:00:28 PM »
Makes me wonder if they'll still have that rich character after they have been baked?  Only 1 way to find out.
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2014, 08:05:30 AM »
The thing is with the 2 Watt Allen Bradleys, every time I buy say 270Rs when I get them here, they nearly always read about 280R- 295R, Yet the colour code is 270R. I know there is a tolerance of 10 percent on domestic and 5 percent and on the military resistors. but both are consistently high, plus or minus to me means if you have 10 new Allen Bradley resistors, on average 5 will read above or on 270R, and 5 will read below or on 270R, or do they mean 10 percent either way . Well now we probably know why they are high.

Hi Steve, next time when you buy AB resistors from bigsmythe74 on eBay, tell him to ensure the resistors are within their spec. I did this last time I bought some AB off him and I got pretty good ABs and they're not very far off, all within 5% range. Not sure if you can ask him to get them matched but we can certainly return the resistors if they're too far off from the nominal value (standard practice on eBay), I'm sure bigsmythe74 aware about this too.
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline Greg Erskine

• Liked: 2
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2014, 10:31:09 AM »
The thing is with the 2 Watt Allen Bradleys, every time I buy say 270Rs when I get them here, they nearly always read about 280R- 295R, Yet the colour code is 270R. I know there is a tolerance of 10 percent on domestic and 5 percent and on the military resistors. but both are consistently high, plus or minus to me means if you have 10 new Allen Bradley resistors, on average 5 will read above or on 270R, and 5 will read below or on 270R, or do they mean 10 percent either way . Well now we probably know why they are high.

Steve, you need a "valve" volt meter, those transistors can not be trusted.  :D

Offline ochremoon

• Liked: 8
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2014, 11:17:43 PM »
As everyone knows, shinkoh resistors are getting hard to obtain in many values, especially the 2-watters. So, assuming you want a tantalum film and given the choice of a 2W audionote or a 1W shinkoh in a given value, what would you go for?

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2014, 11:40:47 PM »
As everyone knows, shinkoh resistors are getting hard to obtain in many values, especially the 2-watters. So, assuming you want a tantalum film and given the choice of a 2W audionote or a 1W shinkoh in a given value, what would you go for?
I tried the 2 watt audio notes, new and old, in the same spot, and the 1W shinkoh was still better, but in another spot, it may be a different story.

Offline ochremoon

• Liked: 8
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2014, 07:25:04 AM »
Thanks Steven. I guess it's a case of splash the doe and get a variety to experiment. Dont s'pose ya know of a supplier with 10K 2W shinkohs; the usual suspects only have 1W ones. I wouldn't blame you for keeping that info to yourself though.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2014, 03:14:02 PM »
Well, that is the problem, I can only get the 1 watt 10K shinkoh, as well. I use them in the leak, but I did get some 9.1K 2W shinkoh for my main amps, and I use them in a 10K spot, they worked perfectly. Get them instead, if its OK via your circuit. You can also get 2 /20K 1 watt shinkoh and run them parallel to get 10K, but they may not sound better that 1 /10K shinkoh. There are thin and thicker lead-out wires available on these 1 watt shinkoh's. Try to get the thicker ones. But they seem to have have run out, and most come with the thin leads. The 2 watt all have these thicker leads.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 03:32:08 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2014, 03:45:25 PM »
I cannot stress enough, the shinkoh 2 watt resistors are just brilliant, if there is an equal or better all round modern resistor, where is it, I hope there is, but do we buy 100 different varieties just to find out, how expensive will what be. I usually use the shinkoh 2 watt or 1 watt in just the critical single path, if possible. If you can't get the 2 watt, 1 watt is still better than any other resistor I know.

Offline Tuyen

• Liked: 221
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2014, 03:47:19 PM »
Hi Steven, you using Shinkoh or Allen Bradley for the IV of your dac?

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2014, 07:24:19 PM »
Hi Steven, you using Shinkoh or Allen Bradley for the IV of your dac?
Unfortunately audio manufactures have in the past, and even now, are trying to get information about what is in and how the DAC works. One in particular has already Stoll my tube complement. The funny thing is that any other resistor brand will not sound right at the value I use in the IV stage, I will pm you with the right one.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 07:52:00 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline skc

• Liked: 19
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2014, 06:42:41 PM »
If you can't get the 2 watt, 1 watt is still better than any other resistor I know.

Have you tried the Charcroft foils?

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2014, 08:25:25 PM »
I have been thinking about these after you mentioned them. I have not heard them before, I am hot on there trail. looking them up via the net as I type.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2014, 08:33:00 PM »
Nice, I have tried many that looked very similar, but as you know that means, nothing. Are they neutral. Neutral is handy, but in the finally tunning process, flavours are also important. I guess we need to ask do we use only one resistor type, in any of our stuff, for me not really. Do you have any leftover Charcroft foils I can try.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 08:35:48 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline skc

• Liked: 19
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2014, 08:03:53 AM »
Do you have any leftover Charcroft foils I can try.

Nope, but I have 88 of them coming in for a ladder attenuator. Happy to grab a few extra spares if you let me know what you want to play with.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2014, 01:03:20 PM »
88, now you are serious, probably a good choice for a ladder attenuator, Clean is what is needed. On the Quad 57 system. My elna ladder attenuator has dale resistors, Don't really know how good they are, they where on it when I brought it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 01:48:20 AM by stevenvalve »

Offline Tuyen

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2014, 01:14:22 AM »

Choose your poison.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2014, 01:55:53 AM »
Ha, There is no poison, but there is cream and honey. 2 watt Shinkoh and 2 watt Allen Bradley.  As Humphrey Bogart said at the end of that great movie... The Maltese Falcon.... That's the stuff dreams are made of.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 02:58:22 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline Tuyen

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2014, 10:37:30 AM »
haha!

I am trying to decide which I prefer to use in the IV stage.  Both have hundreds of hours on them.   The ABs do the mids and highs more gentle and decliate. Flows smoother. Easier to listen to, especially at full scale volumes when I'm really getting into a piece.   But I found the bass a bit loose and not as defined as the Shinkohs.   The shinnies had a deeper, tighter, more articulate bass to lower mid bass.  But then the mids and highs are a lttle crisp in comparison.   It doesn't help as I am using a BMS 4540ND compression driver which uses a neodymium magnet from 4khz upwards.    If it was with the GOTO midhigh and tweeters, would probably balance out as they have a 'soft'  sonic character.

I think I'll stick with the Skinkohs for now, as I really am a 'bass man' and that is the aspect I am most picky about on my setup.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2014, 03:05:46 PM »
An audiophiles listening prioritys are often interesting, younger means bass, older means midrange splendour, very old means turning it up real loud.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 03:10:26 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline Tuyen

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2014, 03:44:18 PM »
Call me an old manchild.

I like bass and I like it loud!   8)