Author Topic: Resistor games  (Read 81221 times)

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
Re: Resistor games
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2014, 07:21:27 PM »
Call me an old manchild.

I like bass and I like it loud!   8)

Can't agree more Tuyen!  8)
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2014, 07:23:47 PM »
haha!

I am trying to decide which I prefer to use in the IV stage.  Both have hundreds of hours on them.   The ABs do the mids and highs more gentle and decliate. Flows smoother. Easier to listen to, especially at full scale volumes when I'm really getting into a piece.   But I found the bass a bit loose and not as defined as the Shinkohs.   The shinnies had a deeper, tighter, more articulate bass to lower mid bass.  But then the mids and highs are a lttle crisp in comparison.   It doesn't help as I am using a BMS 4540ND compression driver which uses a neodymium magnet from 4khz upwards.    If it was with the GOTO midhigh and tweeters, would probably balance out as they have a 'soft'  sonic character.

I think I'll stick with the Skinkohs for now, as I really am a 'bass man' and that is the aspect I am most picky about on my setup.

I like the resolution of the Shinkohs. Simply the best!

Offline PingPing

• Liked: 6
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2014, 08:29:18 PM »
Have you tried the Charcroft foils?
Did anyone try the Charcroft foils... thanks  :)

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2014, 08:44:23 PM »
Did anyone try the Charcroft foils... thanks  :)
Yes the only problem is they are low wattage and too many in a circuit and they can create problems.Other wise very nice resistors.........................
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline PingPing

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2014, 09:19:51 PM »
Yes the only problem is they are low wattage and too many in a circuit and they can create problems.Other wise very nice resistors.........................
Hi kajak12, can you elaborate on "very nice resistors" and where are can they be obtained from... thanks  :)

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2014, 09:31:09 PM »
Hi kajak12, can you elaborate on "very nice resistors" and where are can they be obtained from... thanks  :)
Clean and clear too many and you loose timbre heart and soul on a given system(they are like a nice woman With make up on  in a semi lit room take her to a room with too much light and she starts looking like a barbie doll (artificial)
parts connexion hifi collective google them
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline PingPing

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2014, 10:35:48 PM »
ok, thanks  :)

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2014, 08:05:53 PM »
Ping. Allen Bradley carbon, Shinkoh Tantalum, Audio note Tantalum, Always use 2 Watt, stick with Carbon and Tantalum carbon type Resistors.

Offline PingPing

« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2014, 02:47:27 PM »
Hi stevenvalve, what about the old Phillips 2watt carbon resistors... thanks  ;)

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2014, 03:20:32 PM »
Hi PingPing,

They're crap. Give them to me  :P

Cheers,
Wil

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2014, 04:13:41 PM »
Hi stevenvalve, what about the old Phillips 2watt carbon resistors... thanks  ;)
Some are very good, are they reddish in colour, do you have a picture.

Offline PingPing

« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2014, 08:07:12 AM »
Hi stevenvalve,  :o , I went to look for my stash of them (that I put in a safe place sometime ago!!!) and I can't find them... breath deep :o  I will let you know when I find them...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 01:45:43 PM by PingPing »

Offline omodo

• Liked: 104
  • Green tinted glow
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2014, 09:43:27 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnezplX1zlc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnezplX1zlc</a>

Offline Tuyen

• Liked: 221
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2014, 02:14:32 PM »
Could you guys hear a difference between the 3 options?    Which option brought out the most emotion from the music?

A = basic wirewound resistor = $2
B = duelund silver carbon CAST resistor = $50
C = autoformer attenuator = $500+ ?

I think I heard a little bit more clarity/resolution with system C?  Not much difference between A and B.       Then again, am listening through youtube compressed audio, USB sound blaster sound card and basic headphones.     

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2014, 06:02:32 PM »
:)  8)
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2014, 11:10:38 PM »
Its a pitty it was not done blind but despite streaming over the net the differences between the standard cement covered wire wound and the Dueland was there to hear.  IMV there was more texture to the notes with B and less stridency.  C was the best overall and made the violin much more listenable, so it should at probably 10 times the price, its only when you go back to A that you realise how much it mucks up the sound.

Thanks Mr. T, that was an interesting demo.

V
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline omodo

• Liked: 104
  • Green tinted glow
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2014, 02:56:40 PM »
Tuyen, yes I think the differences were quite obvious, even through youtube/headphones hence I found it interesting enough to post.

I preferred C, seemed more natural if not a touch attenuated compared to B, perhaps the inductance of the autoformer. Pity not much detail was given how the resistors were used, assuming as a divider or part of, nor if any compensation was added for the autoformer.

According to their blog they will be posting another video showing the differences between core types in the autoformer (orient hi-b, finemet, amorphous), that should be quite interesting...

Offline Tuyen

• Liked: 221
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2014, 04:15:12 PM »
Agreed option C sounded best. Less congested.    Quite possible regarding the inductance of the autoformer causing effect on crossover point.  I have experienced this 'issue' from my very brief time playing with autoformers on horn tweeters.   I wish Kenrick would have option D.   No passive crossover components in the path between the amp and driver. Instead using an active circuit further upstream.   Differences would certainly be interesting!   ;D

What's funny is I can hear the differences more obvious through my crappy PC setup with headphones  compared to 'tuned' main horn rig.   ??? :-[  :'(

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2014, 06:03:46 PM »
Yeah,  I wouldn't worry too much.  My PC headphones reveal alot of warts, that I dont hear on any of my 3 speaker systems.   I think (my) PC headphones can be a bit coarse and skewed towards the treble,  they certainly lack midrange body that the Tannoys have in spades. 
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline skc

• Liked: 19
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2014, 07:13:57 PM »
88, now you are serious, probably a good choice for a ladder attenuator, Clean is what is needed. On the Quad 57 system. My elna ladder attenuator has dale resistors, Don't really know how good they are, they where on it when I brought it.

Attenuator complete ready for install;