Author Topic: Resistor games  (Read 18418 times)

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 110
Re: Resistor games
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2014, 07:37:15 PM »
Very nice job there! How many hours did you put in?  :o
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 253
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2014, 07:42:45 PM »
Attenuator complete ready for install;

I might have misted it, what brand of resistor are they, some kind of foil. I must say, it looks real good.

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 110
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2014, 07:56:48 PM »
I might have misted it, what brand of resistor are they, some kind of foil. I must say, it looks real good.

Charcroft foils Steve.
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 64
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2014, 10:40:59 PM »
Great job  i hope the colouration works well in your system......................
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline skc

• Liked: 19
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2014, 07:52:48 AM »
Great job  i hope the colouration works well in your system......................

Thanks Kajak; I guess when it comes to colouration, your experience is unparalleled.  :)

Jokes aside, I have tried at least a half dozen other types of resistors in the signal path in this mix. The Charcrofts were easily superior to anything else I tried.

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 55
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2014, 10:01:56 AM »
Yes Charcrofts and Vishay VSRJ's bulk foils are exceptionally clean sounding with all the detail.  The 'nude' one's perhaps even cleaner.  Using them in feedback loops is great as they don't place to much signature on anything IMV.  The biggest issue is their low power handling being typically 0.25 - 0.5w.

I bought a switched attenuator around 25 years ago when each resistor was around 30 dollars each(VSRJ's), ouch that hurt but it beat hands down  the then popular Holco precision 1w 0.5% metal films!

There has been much talk about the best resistors and here it is hard to definitively say which is best as it depends entirely on where in a circuit they are placed.  Here is where the 'art' in mixing and matching comes into effect. 

The switched attenuator, is it a series unit where the sound passes through each additive resistor or one where there is a single value to earth with a single resistor in the signal path?  The latter is much better IMV.

V
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline skc

« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2014, 12:56:46 PM »

The switched attenuator, is it a series unit where the sound passes through each additive resistor or one where there is a single value to earth with a single resistor in the signal path?  The latter is much better IMV.

V

It is a ladder switch, so only one Rx and one Ry value per position.

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 55
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2014, 01:31:19 PM »
That's the best solution then for resistors.  ;D What overall impedance is it?  47k, 100k, 250k? This is the final arbiter as getting this match incorrect will effect the overall result.
V
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline skc

« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2014, 02:00:51 PM »
100k impedance.