Author Topic: Capacitor Games  (Read 72695 times)

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
Re: Capacitor Games
« Reply #100 on: June 04, 2014, 08:02:46 PM »
These are on ebay now, they look good, anyone heard them

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261495174837?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
If you buy the you can also hear them and get back to us,some of us a looking at 70 years of age before we can get pension (superanuation) so we rely on the retired to spend so we can learn.....
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #101 on: June 13, 2014, 08:05:44 PM »
I read this here, What do you think.   http://www.claritycap.co.uk/products/tc.php   

In electrolytic capacitors evaporation of the electrolyte reduces capacitance and increases ESR dramatically during the lifetime leading to performance degradation. In professional equipment, frequently shipped in unpressurised aircraft holds, this process is accelerated.

Offline data

• Liked: 24
« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2014, 10:28:29 PM »
horrid things electrolytic caps , I'll read the link after a nap.

Thanks for the link.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 08:09:27 AM by data »

Offline brenden

« Reply #103 on: June 14, 2014, 10:41:57 PM »
I have used some of these  large TC  clarity caps in part of the power supplies on my Stax CA-X pro . They sound very good with lots of transparency  but ultimately I preferred the sound without ,as I lost a little warmth  .This should not be misconstrued that these caps are not good ,I simply preferred without in this situation .

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2014, 12:33:25 AM »
I have used some of these  large TC  clarity caps in part of the power supplies on my Stax CA-X pro . They sound very good with lots of transparency  but ultimately I preferred the sound without ,as I lost a little warmth  .This should not be misconstrued that these caps are not good ,I simply preferred without in this situation .
After the Melbourne HIFI show our group went to a live unamplified jazz performance, within minutes of the music starting i asked the guys what is the most immediately obvious thing they heard compared to the HIFI shows systems, they all said within seconds the same thing, Warmth. Yes it is so important to keep that warmth. Systems today are usually so cold and bear little resemblance to real unamplified music.

Offline data

« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2014, 08:19:20 AM »
Brenen, what was you preference over the Clarity's in the  power supply of the Stax CA-X pro?

Offline hedalfa

• Liked: 328
« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2014, 08:48:03 AM »
After the Melbourne HIFI show our group went to a live unamplified jazz performance, within minutes of the music starting i asked the guys what is the most immediately obvious thing they heard compared to the HIFI shows systems, they all said within seconds the same thing, Warmth. Yes it is so important to keep that warmth. Systems today are usually so cold and bear little resemblance to real unamplified music.

Yep, id go further some systems have the all the warmth of cardboard they are dry and sterile. They fail on the emotional engagement factor. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #107 on: June 15, 2014, 08:52:29 AM »
Midrange body and weight is easy to lose and hard to get back.
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline brenden

« Reply #108 on: June 15, 2014, 10:55:47 AM »
Just the original electros that are in there .At the moment I have bypassed with an Auricap  .01 1500v and it is wonderful  .

The Claritys may work good in a higher voltage situation  or in another spot  ,so  don't discount them at all .

Speaking of capacitor changes ,I replaced an electrolytic capacitor in my Marantz CD94mk2 that was really remarkable . 

I was looking at the circuit one day and realised that the main filter caps were really  top quality ,but the 6800uf  16v  cap that filters the 5v supply to the dacs was just average .This is probably the most important position IMO. I am a fan of the top line Elna capacitors ,so  replaced  with a 6800uf 35v  big can Starget made in  Japan , which unfortunately  are not made any more .It was physically much bigger ,and had pins that had to be bent to install ,but went in ok .  I think this cap is more neutral than the cerafine or silmic . Sort of midway between the two .
       I got gains across the board ,but the biggest gain was in midrange realism and warmth but also clarity at the same time  . Absolutely fantastic ,for anyone looking to upgrade  a CD94 .

I  haven't used the smaller can Stargets ,so will not assume they can perform in the same manner as the larger ones just yet .

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #109 on: June 25, 2014, 04:16:19 PM »
I am thinking about trying different caps in my phono stage,    it uses 1uf WIMA's on the output.

Obviously VSF's are a consideration.   So I contact Mike L,  and ask for pricing.    Initial response was we can get RS. 

I then went to PartsConnexion, and ask for a quote on 2 x VSF-1uf/400v copper foils.   I got back a response.

Your total including shipping is $724.00 USD*** LEAD TIME IS 10-12 WEEKS ***

:o    Ouch.   

:'(    [sighs]

Offline data

« Reply #110 on: June 25, 2014, 04:58:25 PM »
Wow!

That seems very high compared to before :(

Offline Tuyen

• Liked: 221
« Reply #111 on: July 10, 2014, 11:30:11 AM »
Pair of Jupiter copper foil paper and wax 0.33uf caps. These are Murray's (mcb) units which he has kindly allowed me to run-in and evaluate them in my amp.

I will try them in budget 300b set amp.  It is currently using a pair of audionote 0.22uf copper foil mylar in oil caps.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2014, 05:21:18 PM »
The Jupiter copper foil paper and wax 0.33uf caps looks tasty. The audionote Mylar are not as good as the earlier paper type. I am interested in the result.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 06:29:45 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline Tuyen

« Reply #113 on: July 11, 2014, 06:07:12 PM »
Article by Jon Lo re the Jupiters VS Duelund CAST
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0514/jupiter_copper_foil_paper_wax_capacitor.htm

I'll try them out this weekend  8)

Offline Tuyen

« Reply #114 on: July 24, 2014, 06:07:36 PM »
Have put on over 50 hrs on  mcb's Jupiter copper caps now.   Can confirm they are quite nice. I prefer them over the audionote copper mylars as they seem a bit more richer textured/full bodied.  They have great resolution and depth/extension too.    The audionotes maybe a bit more smooth/fluid. only maybe...          For the price, they are worth it in my books.      How do they compare to the much beloved Duelunds?    Can't say.  Never tried duelunds in this amp, on my system at present. 

thumbs up!  ;D

Offline mcb

• Liked: 6
« Reply #115 on: August 18, 2014, 06:55:02 PM »
Tuyen dropped around a couple of weekends ago and we (he) removed the previous caps from my pre-amp and put the Jupiters in.

When I originally put the previous caps in, I found a good improvement is detail, however I found the detail came with a harsh edge, particularly with lessor recordings. 

The Jupiters have continued with the improvement with detail and at the same time have taken away the edge that was bugging me.  Good step forward, in my books.

I know my descriptions are pretty basic, but that is me at my eloquent best :D

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #116 on: August 18, 2014, 07:01:53 PM »
Thanks for sharing guys! Sounds like a really good sounding cap!  :)
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: August 18, 2014, 11:20:02 PM »
I have not tried the Jupiter Caps, mainly because the Duelunds VSFs are so good and the system is just right, so I have not bothered to try newer designs. We do need to find cheaper caps that cut it, it will happen. maybe its already Happened. We just need to find them.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #118 on: August 19, 2014, 06:30:17 AM »
Mcb, your description is not only good,  you've hit on a key attribute.

Harsh and aggressive treble is something I look for when assessing a change (look to avoid). This is one of those things that is very un-natural sounding.  Sibilance rears its ugly head, and seems to be on the majority of recordings!

Quite often, the flip side is losing extension, and the sound becomes rolled off.  We dont want that either.

Top end extension that is smooth and pleasant, is where all the joy is.  Achieving that (is not easy and) makes a huge difference.

Thanks for sharing your experience with these Jupiter caps.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 12:48:04 AM by ozmillsy »

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: August 30, 2014, 06:28:47 PM »
There is a very reliable duelund capacitor. Well it was till it was not. This lasted about a year running 65 volts. So why did it fail, probably the turn on surge. But with hot filaments, with a B+ switch there should not be a lot of instant voltage. Anyway here is what they look like inside. Thin copper and a very thin film of ? silk with oil resin, any ideas.   
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 02:26:16 PM by stevenvalve »