Author Topic: Capacitor Games  (Read 72704 times)

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
Re: Capacitor Games
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2014, 04:53:26 PM »
The 2 Watt Shinkoh's are great resistors, but they finished long ago, It shows most audio people I will use anything as a resistor. So does that mean most audiophiles are deaf.

You better stop talking about them - I saw some mention of Shinkho's on a pro audio site...  uh oh   :o

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2014, 04:55:01 PM »
Zen,   where do you get the different types of insulated Neotech ?    Aurealis only have the Teflon coated type.
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2014, 04:57:24 PM »
You better stop talking about them - I saw some mention of Shinkho's on a pro audio site...  uh oh   :o

It's amazing how many lurkers there are,   reading and never posting.

Offline Tuyen

• Liked: 221
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2014, 06:48:24 PM »
What do you guys think of the green Russian K75-10 PIO caps?

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2014, 08:37:14 PM »
I have four in my Leak 20 as coupling caps, I really can't complain especially when you look at the price, $15 for 10 including shipping  ;D
I bought mine from here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/0-47uF-250V-Hybrid-PIO-Capacitors-K75-10-Lot-10-/380504713144

Detailed explanation:
It has a very saturated, colorful, textured, and detailed midrange that is thick and juicy. While PIO’s are known for their natural and smooth midrange, K75 seems to add some jest, pop, and color to the proceedings, yielding an apparently more detailed and forceful presentation. Treble and bass is pretty good, especially for an oil cap, but the leading edges are not razor-sharp and precise like premium film caps. Since the midrange is so involving and palpable, the lack of equal force in treble makes it seem a bit dark overall, but as one increases the volume, this becomes less of an issue, and poorly-recorded music is much more tolerable at higher volume.

I can confirm the bold words above.

Can't go wrong Tuyen, it's so cheap!  ;D
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2014, 08:39:40 PM »
Zen,   where do you get the different types of insulated Neotech ?    Aurealis only have the Teflon coated type.

Hi Oz, here: http://partsconnexion.com/wire_hookup_neotech_main.html

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2014, 08:52:08 PM »
The 2 Watt Shinkoh's are great resistors, but they finished long ago, It shows most audio people I will use anything as a resistor. So does that mean most audiophiles are deaf.

You better stop talking about them - I saw some mention of Shinkho's on a pro audio site...  uh oh   :o

We'd better start promoting Audio Note Tantalum Non Magnetic!

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2014, 11:13:37 PM »

Yep - with a wink  ;)

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2014, 11:33:39 PM »

Its a shame they are not as good as the Shinkho's, not even close.

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2014, 11:48:26 PM »

You better stop talking about them - I saw some mention of Shinkho's on a pro audio site...  uh oh   :o

Its a shame they are not as good as the Shinkho's, not even close.

It's funny because when they first came up with the slight magnetic version they did admit it was not better than the Shinkoh and yet it's pretty good. And now, the non magnetic has been promoted to beat the legendary Shinkoh but it's not even close  >:( Maybe you should try the silver version Steve! wink...wink...   ;)  ;)  ;D

Offline data

• Liked: 24
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2014, 12:16:59 AM »
Hi Steve

Any conclusion on the Hovland Musicaps at this stage?

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2014, 03:02:31 AM »
Hi Steve

Any conclusion on the Hovland Musicaps at this stage?
I did have them on the leak about 6 weeks ago, and then replaced them with duelunds cast. I have flying leads for a quick cap change, I will put the Hovland Musicaps back in tomorrow and let you know the result. My Hovland Musicaps are the old one's, not the reissues made today, they should sound the same, but who knows.  We will see, but I remember i was impressed with them, and they are reasonably cheap, and a full film and foil.

Offline data

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2014, 03:11:17 AM »
Cool, I look forward to hear what you think.

Cheers

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2014, 09:19:46 AM »
Yep, I am following this closely too as I'd like to get a quad for my Leak 20! Hopefully they're as good as Duelunds (I can wish, can't I?)  8)

Offline data

« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2014, 05:54:47 PM »
Would be nice if they were, hay  :)

I have a pair of the old type in the first coupling stage of my jfet phono stage, with VSF's on the out-put, and have been tempted to replace them with another pair of VSF's....... but will it be worth the expense? or would I be better investing that in a move to a all tube phono stage?

A difficult thing for me to decide on, so Steve's opinion on the Hovland's is of great interest to me, I know he would have better perception with these things than I do, and others here would also have better than I do  ::)

Although, an all tube phono stage is very attractive  8)

« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 06:40:12 PM by data »

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2014, 07:25:13 PM »
I know he would have better perception with these things than I do, and others here would also have better than I do  ::)
You're being too modest here Data. I've read many of your posts on SNA and I can tell that you have good ears and know what you're doing with your system *thumbs up*

I have a pair of the old type in the first coupling stage of my jfet phono stage, with VSF's on the out-put, and have been tempted to replace them with another pair of VSF's....... but will it be worth the expense? or would I be better investing that in a move to a all tube phono stage?
I don't know much about phono stage but it's quite safe to say VSF would be an improvement over the Hovland. Steve would have used Hovland if they were better than the VSF. Also all tube phono stage is expensive, isn't it? Surely it will cost more than a pair of VSF?

Cheers,
Willliam

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2014, 08:03:18 PM »
 I have just changed the Duelund cast caps to the Hovland music caps, and listening as I type.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 08:30:58 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2014, 09:14:36 PM »
I'd buy a good tube phono, and put Duelands in it.  :P

Maybe I should take my own advise, and whack some vsf's in my tube phono.   :-\  :-X
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 09:17:31 PM by ozmillsy »

Offline ochremoon

• Liked: 8
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2014, 09:47:21 PM »
I'd buy a good tube phono, and put Duelands in it.  :P

Maybe I should take my own advise, and whack some vsf's in my tube phono.   :-\  :-X

I may do the same (you're a long time dead, as they say)

Offline data

« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2014, 10:08:00 PM »
Thanks, jehuty

Too kind  :-[

A good tube phono stage can be expensive, but there is a guy that makes EAR clones, in part using recovered parts, I had  a loan of one from a member and while it didn't have the detail and refinement of the stage I have now, it was very musical and very open, maybe with better parts...

If I felt more confident I would have a crack and building something from scratch, but :-\