Author Topic: Capacitor Games  (Read 72708 times)

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
Re: Capacitor Games
« Reply #120 on: August 30, 2014, 07:18:47 PM »
Did the cap actually rupture and end up holed as in the first image or is that you opening it up for inspection?
Was the cap used on your DAC?  I remember Mario fitted a B+ switch to avoid the switch on spike / surge. Hmmm, maybe a note and pictures back to the manufacturer is in order, they are not cheap items.  Maybe also the voltage rating needs to be taken with a pinch of salt...........
. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
« Reply #121 on: August 30, 2014, 08:27:04 PM »
There is a very reliable duelund capacitor. Well it was till it's was not. This lasted about a year running 65 volts. So why did it fail, probably the turn on surge. But with hot filaments, with a B+ switch there should not be a lot of instant voltage. Anyway here is what they look like inside. Thin copper and a very thin film of ? silk with oil resin, any ideas.
maybe paraffin wax or oil?. Very good dielectric properties, I believe used in high voltage
I'd like to know what the thin fabric is.
T. 

Offline rhlauranna

• Liked: 198
« Reply #122 on: August 31, 2014, 12:26:19 AM »
Sibilance rears its ugly head, and seems to be on the majority of recordings!

would you be so kind and indicate one, two, three... recordings where this is the (emphazised) case for you (please no vinyls), so that I am able to follow ? thanks...

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #123 on: August 31, 2014, 07:27:44 PM »
If they are being made by hand, it looks like a painstaking timeconsuming job.    No wonder they are only a special order item now.
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline omodo

• Liked: 104
  • Green tinted glow
« Reply #124 on: August 31, 2014, 07:37:25 PM »
It consists of aluminium, copper or silver foil and high-density paper, soaked in pure mineral wax, treated with special lacquers made from natural materials and wrapped in paper.

the 'fabric' is paper according to the product description?

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
« Reply #125 on: August 31, 2014, 09:36:41 PM »
If they are being made by hand, it looks like a painstaking timeconsuming job.    No wonder they are only a special order item now.

Oz,

I've been thinking about these VSF's and by the look of Steve's 'dissection' photos, it appears they wind these on
a largish cylindrical mandrel and then squash them flat. If this is the case I think the squashing process would result 
in considerable stress at the corners with the resulting differential movement between layers.

Maybe a good reason why a/ there have been quite a few failures b/ they aren't so keen to continue production
and c/ they sound different than the others.

Just a thought.

Z

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #126 on: August 31, 2014, 11:13:50 PM »
I've been thinking about these VSF's and by the look of Steve's 'dissection' photos, it appears they wind these on
a largish cylindrical mandrel and then squash them flat
Looking at the photos again,  I can envisage that being the process used. 

So, the squishing could be part of the reliability problem,  but possibly part of their inherent character.  A bit of a dilemna.

I wonder if a perfectly cylindrical version was made (no gap in the middle), with no squishing occuring in the process,  how close it may be in sound?   

Offline ochremoon

• Liked: 8
« Reply #127 on: September 01, 2014, 01:38:53 PM »
I wonder if a perfectly cylindrical version was made (no gap in the middle), with no squishing occuring in the process,  how close it may be in sound?

I wonder if that's what they do to make the CAST caps.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #128 on: September 01, 2014, 05:19:24 PM »
Could be.  Someone needs to pull apart one of the dodgy leaky ones.  8)

Offline skc

• Liked: 19
« Reply #129 on: September 01, 2014, 10:00:51 PM »
I have a failed .47 Dueland CAST caps I am happy to donate to dissection if anyone is interested in sharing what they find.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #130 on: September 01, 2014, 11:10:22 PM »
I have a failed .47 Dueland CAST caps I am happy to donate to dissection if anyone is interested in sharing what they find.
Great idea, I have friends who have the cast, and some have failed. zenelectro is the one to send it to.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 11:12:12 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline klackto

• Liked: 35
« Reply #131 on: November 16, 2014, 02:04:43 PM »
Did anybody follow up on this?  Would be very interesting to know how the Cast are constructed.
Also, I read somewhere on this forum that someone was trying the Duelund RS ....... is the verdict in yet, are they any good?  (or just RS  :D)

Offline Tuyen

• Liked: 221
« Reply #132 on: January 22, 2015, 06:33:09 PM »
DHT Rob's thoughts on the Jupiter copper foil caps.
http://www.dhtrob.com/impressies/jupiter_copperfoil.php

After my +ve experience with a pair in Murray's preamp,  I will use these in the AudioNote 300B KIT1 SET amp I'm currently rebuilding.

Offline vitavoxdude

• Caring and sharing
« Reply #133 on: November 18, 2017, 06:17:31 PM »
Well I have just added 2 x 4.7uF 1000v Mundorf Supreme silver/gold / oil caps onto the B+ of my 300b preamp, they parallel some 8uF Ducon PIO's.  To say the sound improved is an understatement.  The whole sound tightened up with better micro and macro dynamics.  Even the bass was more tuneful allowing the unraveling of complex passages.  So as smooth as the Ducon PIO's are, they benefit from the other caps greatly.  Not cheap to implement, but I already had them.  I can see why SG uses PP solens in the power supply of the leak 20 stereo etc, much more tactile sound and a most welcome uplift.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #134 on: November 18, 2017, 07:43:48 PM »
Well I have just added 2 x 4.7uF 1000v Mundorf Supreme silver/gold / oil caps onto the B+ of my 300b preamp, they parallel some 8uF Ducon PIO's.  To say the sound improved is an understatement.  The whole sound tightened up with better micro and macro dynamics.  Even the bass was more tuneful allowing the unraveling of complex passages.  So as smooth as the Ducon PIO's are, they benefit from the other caps greatly.  Not cheap to implement, but I already had them.  I can see why SG uses PP solens in the power supply of the leak 20 stereo etc, much more tactile sound and a most welcome uplift.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Vintage 8uF Ducon oils are OK but in some cases need a by pass cap, if you can, try to get the English Dubilier 8uf, Preferably with earlier make with the big D and big R, not the american Cornell Dubilier. They will be a significant improvement. Not overly Smooth and polite like the Ducon.  Mundorf Supreme silver/gold / I will try them at some time.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 01:20:09 AM by stevenvalve »

Offline vitavoxdude

• Caring and sharing
« Reply #135 on: November 18, 2017, 09:19:17 PM »
Hi Steve
Yes the Big D and big R nitrogols (from the UK) are the one's I am using, 8uF x 2 with a CLCL supply, one for each channel.  The Ducons sound a bit too soft and cuddly without the Mundorf's, it is better all round with them.  A bit like taking your finger off a record playing, pace improves and everything seems to tighten nicely.

I suppose it's dependent on what circuit you are using the Ducons in but as part of my 300B preamp they are a complete no brainer in the B+.  Pretty spendy for the pwr sup though.  Just as well I already had them and run in to.  :)