Author Topic: Essence gZero  (Read 21890 times)

Offline Tuyen

• Liked: 221
Re: Essence gZero
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2014, 04:23:56 PM »
How do these compare to flat copper cables like the Lenehan Ribbonteks or the Goetz?

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2014, 05:21:42 PM »
How do these compare to flat copper cables like the Lenehan Ribbonteks or the Goetz?
Goetz M1 T2 version is the speaker cable i use, it is much better sounding, but is not the same as sold by parts connection, There is no painted coating and it has a Teflon dielectric in the middle. The only place i know to get it is the USA distributer, pacific magnetics. But fullrange drivers need a cable that supports there weaknesses so this cable is the one. Most other cables don't sound right, but I would like to try Nathans speaker cable, the balance could be right.  

Offline Tuyen

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2014, 05:58:40 PM »
Cool thanks Steven.  Do you prefer to using speaker terminals (spades or bullets?)  or do you prefer to chopping the terminals off and using the bare flat copper connected to the speaker and amp terminals?

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2014, 09:15:08 PM »
Cool thanks Steven.  Do you prefer to using speaker terminals (spades or bullets?)  or do you prefer to chopping the terminals off and using the bare flat copper connected to the speaker and amp terminals?

Less is nearly always more, So bare flat shiny clean copper connected to the speaker and amp terminals

Offline rawl99

• Liked: 2
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2014, 10:24:58 PM »

Tuyen,

I built ribbon cables before Mike brought out his ribbonteks and also have goertz.
On my system:
Wadia. I2S...Kdac......VAC phi 200 significantly upgraded.....ML3 references,

the cables that Nathan has utterly annihilated any of the ribbon versions including goertz.
The goertz on these "normal" speakers is, relatively speaking, quite dark and closed-in.
The ribbon may have aome good attributes (dunno what) but it has little nuance and 'life'.

Nathans speaker cables are ahead in every parameter I could focus on:
Soundstage width, depth (particularly layering) and sense of height.
Engagement and sense of life and realness
Resolution,
Attack ( essential to create that sense of life in music)
Decay ( ditto)
Micro resolution ( ditto)
And the one that really surprised me was low bass is subjectively better.
Surprised because Nathan's cables are smaller gauge than the goertz for example, and yet the goertz did not perform as well in the bass.
I get down below 20hz in-room so the bass extension I have is pretty good.

As Steve pointed out the darker character of the goertz pairs well with the rising response of a driver such as axiom 80 but I find not so with a flatter measuring type of more modern Box speaker.

Does that help clarify??

Craig

Offline rawl99

« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2014, 10:26:14 PM »

Less is nearly always more, So bare flat shiny clean copper connected to the speaker and amp terminals

I gotta agree with you here Steve

Offline Tuyen

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2014, 11:00:57 PM »
Definitely does Craig.  Thanks!

Will be sure to go have a listen to them when Mario gets a pair :)

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2014, 05:39:58 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D Well I think the plug for these speaker cables has us all interested but exactly how much are they again?
V
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline rawl99

« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2014, 08:08:15 AM »
;D ;D ;D Well I think the plug for these speaker cables has us all interested but exactly how much are they again?
V

V,

Depends on the model chosen I guess which will depend on the relative value perceived in a system.

Don't know detailed pricing so cannot comment in detail.

I will endeavour to bring mine down to Andy's in Canberra in April so folks can have a listen and make their own judgement.

C

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2014, 01:26:29 PM »
Is this going to be like comparing a Bugatti Veyron with a Mini Cooper?  Whilst one is ultimately a lot more capable speed wise, one produces grin inducing pleasure at a price most can afford and the other.......................................................
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline onthebeach

• Liked: 75
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2014, 03:11:04 PM »
Is this going to be like comparing a Bugatti Veyron with a Mini Cooper?  Whilst one is ultimately a lot more capable speed wise, one produces grin inducing pleasure at a price most can afford and the other.......................................................

Hopefully there will be some price comparible SCs to compare them with. Its a bummer I cant make it that weekend.

Offline onthebeach

• Liked: 75
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2014, 02:43:31 PM »