Author Topic: CD Burners/Burning  (Read 16542 times)

Offline braddo

• Liked: 2
CD Burners/Burning
« on: February 04, 2014, 12:04:00 PM »
I've come to the point where the burner in my computer has to go.

Disks burnt on it won't play right on my 14bit CD44, and disks burnt on my drive on my previous computer won't play right either. They sound scratched and pause etc. But, disks burnt on my older computers and drives play ok on the CD44. On the other hand CD94 plays everything, but I want to use my CD44 too.

What do you guys use to burn copies of disks? I know Steven has a F1 burner, but out of production.

What should I be looking at that is available and good quality? Any help would be appreciated.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
Re: CD Burners/Burning
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 12:54:06 PM »
Brad, sounds like the laser on your Marantz 44 is on the way out. I think the plextor may be the way to go. The Yamaha FI, do come up for sale, look on ebay every few days.

Offline braddo

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 02:11:21 PM »
Brad, sounds like the laser on your Marantz 44 is on the way out. I think the plextor may be the way to go. The Yamaha FI, do come up for sale, look on ebay every few days.

I'm not sure if the laser is playing up. I have a CD44 and CD204, both 14bitTDA/CDM1. They BOTH play up with more recently burnt disks, but play older burnt disks and originals perfectly, for hours/days on end.

I can't say 100% for sure but, so far, I've tracked the problem down to burners on my last two computers and/or my last two computers.

Just seems strange for two lasers on two machines to act the same on the same disks which makes me think it may not be the lasers. Disk brands are not the problem, perhaps writing speeds??

But, could be the lasers Stephen, I'm not ruling that out at all.

I will investigate further.

I have heard Plextor mentioned, I'll look into it more. Thanks for the tip. I'll look out for F1 too. Good lasers or not I'd like a good burner.

EDIT - After some quick Googling Stephen I think you may be right, the lasers might be on the way out.... :o
Still, why do older CD-Rs work fine?? I'm stumped with that one...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 02:45:22 PM by braddo »

Offline braddo

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 08:26:51 AM »
Replying to myself here and this thread has turned into a troubleshooting thread but here goes....

I played a mates CD-R burnt on his Apple PC, and it worked great, also played a CD-R from an ex-girlfriends of his and it played great, played CD-R fresh burnt from my drive and i was distorted/unplayable etc.

Will burn some cd's from a different computer/drive for a while and see what happens, but ATM i think I have burner/PC problems.

I will be going through the CD44 and CD204 with a soldering iron etc. and do necassary mods/repairs that I can pickup from the net when I get time.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 02:58:42 PM »
Replying to myself here and this thread has turned into a troubleshooting thread but here goes....

I played a mates CD-R burnt on his Apple PC, and it worked great, also played a CD-R from an ex-girlfriends of his and it played great, played CD-R fresh burnt from my drive and i was distorted/unplayable etc.

Will burn some cd's from a different computer/drive for a while and see what happens, but ATM i think I have burner/PC problems.

I will be going through the CD44 and CD204 with a soldering iron etc. and do necassary mods/repairs that I can pickup from the net when I get time.
It may be the alignment of the laser head, in your burner, and then when played back via a burnt CD is not very compatible with your playback heads in your players.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 07:03:35 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline braddo

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 04:12:23 PM »
OK thanks Steven, I'll have a play around, and also keep an eye out for a decent burner.

Offline onthebeach

• Liked: 75
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 03:41:41 PM »
Hi Braddo
I bought an F1 from ebay a couple of weeks back. The seller assured me it was external but it is actually an internal one so I need to hook it up inside an old computer but havent done that yet so I dont know what condition it is in or whether it still works. There was/is a brand new external Plextor premium 2 which has the same chip as the F1 acording to Mario but it is a bit expensive I guess.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Plextor-Premium-2-CD-Burner-New-/171226244451?pt=US_CD_DVD_Blu_Ray_Drives&hash=item27dde12563

Nathan

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 07:07:52 PM »
That plextor drive looks to be an internal unit to me.

7 drives available, tempted to grab one (my f1 wont last forever)
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline braddo

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 07:59:40 AM »
Internal vs external??

I've always thought for external I'd need a good connection cable, but, I guess internal has standard cabling inside the computer. But, external could be better for vibration and can be isolated?? Or am I looking too much into this?

I'm thinking I'd like an external drive, and look into cables.

That burner is not priced too bad Nathan, compared to the $2k plextor premium I saw the other day somewhere on the net :o

Cheers for the tips guys. Will keep a look out.

Ah, another question. Do I need audiophile (gotta love that word :o) CD-r's to copy on F1 of Plextor, or can I still use the cheapo CD-R's?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 08:05:24 AM by braddo »

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 10:49:53 AM »
The cd-r's effect the sound, for sure.  I dont know why, but they do.

Where does it all end? ???
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline onthebeach

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 12:12:54 PM »

Ah, another question. Do I need audiophile (gotta love that word :o) CD-r's to copy on F1 of Plextor, or can I still use the cheapo CD-R's?

Gamve got me onto these and they are a step up from regular discs. I can hear the difference in quality. They are not as good as the MF Golds but they are cheaper.
http://www.jpldisplays.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=23&products_id=270

Offline onthebeach

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 12:17:15 PM »
That plextor drive looks to be an internal unit to me.

7 drives available, tempted to grab one (my f1 wont last forever)

Looking at that diagram on the unit I think you are right Oz. Internal.
am I correct that this is the only Plextor with the same chip as the F1?

Maybe we could make an offer on two or three of them??

« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 12:19:01 PM by onthebeach »

Offline gamve

• Liked: 219
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 01:35:06 PM »
I thought the Ebay plextors looked expensive but I am wrong. From memory the Yamaha CDR1 F1 in 2002 was about $320.00 so
adjusting for inflation that makes these units cheaper than the originals back in the day.

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 01:50:55 PM »
I think the Yamaha burner does come up every now and then on eBay. So, if you're not in a hurry to buy a burner perhaps you could keep an eye on eBay and wait for it. I would love to sell you mine but I only got one myself...
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline onthebeach

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 05:10:57 PM »
I thought the Ebay plextors looked expensive but I am wrong. From memory the Yamaha CDR1 F1 in 2002 was about $320.00 so
adjusting for inflation that makes these units cheaper than the originals back in the day.

that's good. If anyone wants to go in on an offer for two or three lets do it maybe. We'll keep it under 1KAUD to avoid gst.

Offline braddo

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 05:32:03 PM »

that's good. If anyone wants to go in on an offer for two or three lets do it maybe. We'll keep it under 1KAUD to avoid gst.

I may be interested in that. Pm me if you guys go ahead with it, and/or want to involve me.

Re CD-R's, I realize the good ones are better quality, I think my question got taken the wrong way.

What I meant was will the decent burners burn on cheapo disks? ie. can I burn ANY disk with these decent burners?

Offline braddo

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 05:33:32 PM »
The cd-r's effect the sound, for sure.  I dont know why, but they do.

Where does it all end? ???

At the end of the rainbow? ;D :P

Offline gamve

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 07:42:57 PM »
Hi Braddo,
You asked?
"What I meant was will the decent burners burn on cheapo disks? ie. can I burn ANY disk with these decent burners?"

Why bother? The Tayio Yuden discs I use work out to something like 40 cents each. How cheap are the ones you use?  :o
These discs are great quality, Injet printable and only bettered sonically by the $5.00 each Mobile fidelity gold discs.
If you know what you  are doing with the ripping/burning process the difference in sound between the cheap Tayio
Yuden discs and the ultra expensive discs is in my opinion almost negligible.  I did do some side by side comparisons
using the 24K digital audio reference (similar to the MoFi discs) discs but found the differences so minimal, that personally
I would not bother with the expensive discs. Other people will beg to differ and I understand that some people will chase
a 2% improvement in sound if they can get it and at any price.
Another factor is that the MoFi gold discs are a pain in the arse in respect to being able to label them in any
form apart from messy sloppy paint pens. They are also specially coated. This coating reacts with the majority of good
quality polycarbonate polishes/cleaners like VuPlex which strips the coating and ruins the disc. Vuplex has unbelievable
results with all other CD's either blanks or pre records.
This my 2 cents worth, but you really should try some alternatives and satisfy yourself to what works best
Cheers
Graham

Offline gamve

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 08:09:52 PM »
Internal vs external??

I've always thought for external I'd need a good connection cable, but, I guess internal has standard cabling inside the computer. But, external could be better for vibration and can be isolated?? Or am I looking too much into this?

That burner is not priced too bad Nathan, compared to the $2k plextor premium I saw the other day somewhere on the net :o

Internal or external burner? Guys there is a trade off here.

Internal
The internal burner can't be mechanically isolated without going to some considerable trouble. The connections
are also the old ribbon cable standard that a lot of the modern motherboards no longer support. This old standard sort of becomes moot as
XP is probably the best platform for the older versions of Nero that support the QR audio mode.

External
This unit can be mounted on moss taken from beside a virgin stream in the Tasmanian highlands if this is your thing, (personally I proffer the
single malt scotch from the same area). The down side is that the PC connection is the infamous Universal Shit Bus. This connection system is
designed for info transfer between your mouse, keyboard and printer and  IS NOT SUITABLE FOR MUSIC as demonstrated
by the numerous and humorous failed attempts at using your computer to play music via this crap connection.
Rab (Richard) will tell you how big a PIA this can be to get these to work with the siht bus.

Now having said this, a challenge. I will send out two discs burnt at the same time using one standard mounted internal burner and one USB
connected vibration protected burner. Both discs will be QR audio mode burnt at 1 x speed and both burners are Yamaha F1 models.
Who has the balls to tell me which one is which?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 08:12:45 PM by gamve »

Offline hedalfa

• Liked: 328
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2014, 07:37:00 AM »
Internal vs external??

Internal or external burner? Guys there is a trade off here.

Internal
The internal burner can't be mechanically isolated without going to some considerable trouble. The connections
are also the old ribbon cable standard that a lot of the modern motherboards no longer support. This old standard sort of becomes moot as
XP is probably the best platform for the older versions of Nero that support the QR audio mode.

External
This unit can be mounted on moss taken from beside a virgin stream in the Tasmanian highlands if this is your thing, (personally I proffer the
single malt scotch from the same area). The down side is that the PC connection is the infamous Universal Shit Bus. This connection system is
designed for info transfer between your mouse, keyboard and printer and  IS NOT SUITABLE FOR MUSIC as demonstrated
by the numerous and humorous failed attempts at using your computer to play music via this crap connection.
Rab (Richard) will tell you how big a PIA this can be to get these to work with the siht bus.

Now having said this, a challenge. I will send out two discs burnt at the same time using one standard mounted internal burner and one USB
connected vibration protected burner. Both discs will be QR audio mode burnt at 1 x speed and both burners are Yamaha F1 models.
Who has the balls to tell me which one is which?

Sounds like a job for Mr Garland, may need a Buddha to pick this.