Author Topic: Leak wars  (Read 14157 times)

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
Leak wars
« on: February 24, 2014, 09:16:58 PM »
Funny how things happen sometimes. A leak stereo 20 has just been offered to me at the right price, and attached is a mint leak preamp, how can I refuse another leak. What do I do with 2 leak stereo 20s, well what if I fill it full of toys, and then change it to run triode, half the power but it may sound incredible.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
Re: Leak wars
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 09:19:51 PM »
The leak Stereo 20 and preamp arrived. It is all original by the look of it, even has the original electrolytic capacitors and all the original resistors and some original valves. After hooking up the pre to the amp, with plenty of problems....  it lives. So I decided to re valve it, and after half a day of stuffing around, here is the mess. How does it sound in standed form with the preamp. Quite good, but not nearly as good as the full on Leak behind it. Funny why I do all this mucking around just to have a second system, because it really does sound involving, even though its not close in performance to the main system. It still has heart and soul.

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 12:32:41 AM »
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 06:42:15 AM »
That Almarro amp looks pretty.   Good value, considering some of the upgrades.
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 03:22:50 AM »
I have been playing around with power valves on my main full on leak stereo 20. I am using Mullard EL84s the ones with the hole in the plate, long considered the best EL84, A statement i have to agree with, and the best I have heard to date. They are even better than the genuine Amperex EL84s with the half triangle but only a little. I decided to try a brand of tube that i must say is overrated, the Telefunken, So in went 4 expensive new Telefunken EL84s, I have about 20 of them, but never used them, well i must say these are very good indeed in many ways better than the Mullards, Impressive tubes they sound sweet pretty uncluttered and have a ease about them, always taking complex classical music in there stride, i may leave them in this amp, time will tell, They are definitely needed in the tube arsenal for this amp, but i am only talking about there EL84 Variety, other types of Telefunkens, will have to prove themselves at another time, and in another amplifier.  
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 03:40:45 AM by stevenvalve »

Offline springcreek

• Liked: 84
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 08:09:59 AM »
Very nice Steven  8)

Sounds like I need a set of these tubes at some stage, still loving the Mullards though! Shinkoh's and the rest of the AB’s to go in next. Plus I want to replace the final electrolytics with Solens and the feedback caps...possibly with Mustard caps.

Loving the Leak  ;D

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 07:09:34 PM »
I did a little reworking of the my second stock leak stereo 20, bypassing the (Bottleneck) two - 22K resistor on the input, where the RCA interconnects attach, You don't need them there when you don't use the preamp, but don't touch the two -1M resistors to ground, or the amp will oscillate. I also removed the wire used by the preamp to switch the amp on. Now its a stand alone power amp. I put in some Australian vintage EL84s and then to lower the gain and make it sound more relaxed, one vintage 12AU7 Amperex Holland in the first position and then two 12AX7s vintage Yugoslavian valves in the next 2 positions, followed by a Mullard GZ34 rectifier. Sounds much better now. I also read somewhere that there are more manufacturers of valve amplifiers today than there was before transistors were invented. What message does that send out there.

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 08:15:45 PM »
Any new pictures?

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 09:03:08 PM »
I decided to try a brand of tube that i must say is overrated, the Telefunken, So in went 4 expensive new Telefunken EL84s, I have about 20 of them, but never used them, well i must say these are very good indeed in many ways better than the Mullards, Impressive tubes they sound sweet pretty uncluttered and have a ease about them, always taking complex classical music in there stride, i may leave them in this amp, time will tell, They are definitely needed in the tube arsenal for this amp, but i am only talking about there EL84 Variety, other types of Telefunkens, will have to prove themselves at another time, and in another amplifier.

These Telefunken? Maybe Siemens next time? They could be good too.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 09:13:46 PM »
The message is, beware of all the home brew valve amps coming out of china.

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 02:18:54 AM »
The message is, beware of all the home brew valve amps coming out of china.

The Mingda amps look really well built to me, just change there not so good Chinese (no QA) valves.
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 03:28:35 AM »
Single ended amplifiers, live or die on the quality of there output transformers, so do they need be replaced as well.

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 03:46:56 AM »
Judging by the sound they make maybe not.....................
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 08:38:23 PM »
The Mingda amps look really well built to me, just change there not so good Chinese (no QA) valves.
I don't consider Mingda "home brew".   

But cheap ar$e amps like this one probably is,,,,,
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HIFI-Valve-Amp-Class-A-Single-Ended-EL34-5Z3P-Tube-Audio-Amplifier-13W-2-/321143626376?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item4ac5a6da88

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 08:27:37 PM »
Steven,    I am happy to host a "Leak Wars" GTG event at my house.    Bring your 2 modded Leaks (one running in triode),  William can bring his,  Rawls,  Bill's, Andys,  anyone else can bring theirs.     Would love to hear them all on my system.    8)     What an event that would be !!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 08:44:45 PM by ozmillsy »

Offline springcreek

• Liked: 84
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 09:24:58 PM »
Cool sounds great  8)

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 10:49:00 PM »
Steven,    I am happy to host a "Leak Wars" GTG event at my house.    Bring your 2 modded Leaks (one running in triode),  William can bring his,  Rawls,  Bill's, Andys,  anyone else can bring theirs.     Would love to hear them all on my system.    8)     What an event that would be !!

Happy to bring mine. Would be a fun day!  8)

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 11:30:43 PM »
I have two, so mine is bigger than yours.

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 11:39:23 PM »
So do I  ;D

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2014, 12:19:11 AM »
Bring all the Leaks you want fellas.   

Blind Testing can settle the winner.   haha    :P