Author Topic: Scott Tuners  (Read 48898 times)

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
Scott Tuners
« on: March 04, 2014, 05:05:02 PM »
Tuyen I listen to mostly ABC Stereo FM every day with my Scott tuners 1960s, love them. Top is a Scott 350 with the valve rectifier. Bottom is a Scott LT110, this is a kit version of the 350 with the valve rectifier. These are the Scotts to get, other than the 310E but they are hard to get and expensive.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 05:18:21 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline Tuyen

• Liked: 221
Re: Scott Tuners
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 05:30:54 PM »
wow those Scott tuners really look the business Steven!    Very nice.

What about this one on the bay?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-H-H-Scott-LK-110-B-FM-tuner-/121287727675?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1c3d4fda3b

I also listen to mainly ABC Classic FM too (and sometimes a bit of Triple J :))    Wonderful selection of music.   I find it hard to listen to any of the pop stations while in the car.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 05:38:38 PM by Tuyen »

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 11:07:04 PM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-H-H-Scott-LK-110-B-FM-tuner-/121287727675?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1c3d4fda3b

I also listen to mainly ABC Classic FM too (and sometimes a bit of Triple J :))    Wonderful selection of music.   I find it hard to listen to any of the pop stations while in the car.
Go here to learn about the scott tuners. The model to get is the one with the valves rectifier and volume control. Scott 350 is nice or the Scott LT110

http://fmamradios.com/TunerHistory.html

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 11:16:17 PM »

That scott is a LT110B not LK110B as stated in the Ebay add. Its the Kit version of the of the factory Scott 350B and both do not have a valve rectifier. Nice, but there is better.

Offline Tuyen

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 12:36:39 PM »
Are these tube tuners much better sound quality wise than vintage solid state tuners Steven?  Do they require mcuh maintenance?  All the tubes long life type?

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 03:11:55 PM »
Are these tube tuners much better sound quality wise than vintage solid state tuners Steven?  Do they require mcuh maintenance?  All the tubes long life type?
Are valve amps better than transistor. You need to re tube them, all the tubes are cheap and plentiful.

Offline Tuyen

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 03:34:33 PM »
Good to know Steven!  Will keep an eye out for these Scott units  and one or two models by Fisher too by my reading of these vintage tube tuners!

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 03:45:16 PM »
Fisher tuners have a big following, I nearly grabbed one a few times, there is a lot of great vintage FM Stereo valve tuners out there. We need to do some homework, We must sort out the great from the junk. See what you can find. The best Scott's are great, because they sound excellent and they are cheap, $200-$400 for a good 350 or LT110.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 03:59:47 PM »
I guess the question is, are these tuners good enough for quality music reproduction, well the answer is YES, particularly with live ABC classical broadcast the sound quality is superb, and just listening to unheard music most of the time is fantastic. A must have, but getting a good one is the problem, I have found a place in Melbourne that fixes and recalibrates Vintage valve Stereo FM tuners.  DADA electronics run by old man with a passion for vintage quality valve electronics.

http://www.dadaelectronics.eu/ContactUs.htm
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 04:11:57 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline Tuyen

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 07:07:20 PM »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=87716.0

I went for the "cool" factor and got a Scott LT-110 at a hamfest a couple of years ago for a few bucks because the guy was honest and said it was not working. I set it to X-Tuners or something like that and it was fixed, updated and aligned. Came back sounding really good until.....I got a squeezebox Duet and now I listen to my favorite radio station over the internet feed because it sounds so much better.  Not as cool as tuning a dial and watching the pretty lights and meter, but a whole lot better sounding.
My scott will be on ebay soon

I guess not everyone appreciates the vintage tube sound. Lol!

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 07:25:26 PM »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=87716.0

I went for the "cool" factor and got a Scott LT-110 at a hamfest a couple of years ago for a few bucks because the guy was honest and said it was not working. I set it to X-Tuners or something like that and it was fixed, updated and aligned. Came back sounding really good until.....I got a squeezebox Duet and now I listen to my favorite radio station over the internet feed because it sounds so much better.  Not as cool as tuning a dial and watching the pretty lights and meter, but a whole lot better sounding.
My scott will be on ebay soon

I guess not everyone appreciates the vintage tube sound. Lol!
Tuyen, there is always a dickhead somewhere. Just read some of the forums and you quickly realize how many audiophiles are deaf, because of that, they have very poor systems. How many people have recommended something to you, only for you to find there idea of great is mediocre. It comes down each individuals level of performance. A lot of people think there poor sounding system is just great, why do they think that, because they have never heard a great one. Some of these people are old and have high frequency roll off, and need to hear lots of leading edge attack so they need a product that has a boast in that area, (ie Modern Dacs) then these same people recommend stuff to fellow audiophiles. Most of us with normal hearing will find these products objectionable. These tuners are capable of great sound, in the right hands
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 07:57:41 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 11:47:31 PM »
Some interesting stuff about vintage Scott valve tuners

Scott
 Mono: 310, 314, 320, 330 (schematic), 330C (schematic and alignment guide), 350, LT-10 (schematic, instruction book)
 Stereo: 310E (service bulletin and schematic), 333A (schematic), 335, 350B (schematic), 350C (schematic), 370-B (service bulletin and schematic), 4310, LT-110 (schematic), LT-111

Scott's tube tuners were almost all the 3XX series, with popular models like the 310A/B/C/D/E and 350A/B/C. The exception was their kits, which had LT in the model number - like LT-10, LT-110 and LT-111. The LT-111 was the kit version of the 370. For more information on Scott tuners, Lee Shuster's H.H. Scott website and John Byrne's site are "must-reads." Here's something to make you say "wow": A Scott 4310 sold for $2,582 on eBay in 5/05.

Our panellist Bob rebuilt a Scott 335 and got to like it. "I have it hooked to the H detector output on the Kenwood 600T. It needs a LOT of caps replaced to sound good - there are 5 ceramics and 3 old Mylar in the signal path that have to go because they make it sound horrible stock. But after replacing caps, and a few other things, and a good alignment, it is a really nice sounding unit for perhaps the best of everything. One hang-up, though, is that it absolutely NEEDS to be aligned to a particular tuner - the separation adjustment is a function of the incoming 19 kHz pilot level, so you need to know the tuner output level, or better, have the tuner on hand, to do the best alignment. Those that like tubes may want to grab one when convenient."

Our contributor Larry has one of the Scott 350 series tuners, "a stereo unit with excellent soundstage and tonality. Cap upgrades and tube choices really make a difference here - I used Angela Audio foil in oil caps for the signal path, and primo NOS tubes all around. The 350 sounds better than the Marantz 2130 to me."

Our contributor Eli has a Scott 320: "It's an AM/FM mono tuner with two AM bandwidths, a 6BR5 (EM80) tuning tube, a copper-plated sub chassis for the RF section and two sets of audio outputs (low and high) along with an MPX output and stereo inputs to receive the output of an external MPX adaptor. The front panel is thin and very easily dented. Unusual for a Scott tube tuner, it has a slide rule tuning display instead of a rotary dial."

John Byrns comments, "The Scott 310E uses the same RF, IF, and detector circuits as the 4310, but uses a completely different FM stereo multiplex decoder of a later more refined design than the one used in the 4310. The different multiplex decoder designs may affect the relative Sonics of the two tuners. The 310E multiplex decoder was the pinnacle of Scott multiplex decoder design, and later Scott tube tuners and receivers used multiplex circuits that were cost optimized."

John also describes the differences among the various models of 350 and 350x: "The original 350 was based on the monophonic 314 which had a cascade RF stage using a dual triode tube, a triode local oscillator and a pentode mixer, with two pentode IF stages and a pentode limiter driving a wide band ratio detector. There was a large open space on the 314 chassis intended for a multiplex decoder module, and the 350 was essentially a 311 with the 4-tube multiplex sub-chassis from the 335 multiplex decoder bolted into the open space on the 314 chassis. The limiter was also changed from the pentode limiter of the 314 to a 6BN6 gated beam limiter in the 350, and additional shielding was added around the IF stages. The 314's tuning eye tube was also replaced with a tuning meter in the 350.

"The 6BN6 gated beam limiter used in the 350 was dropped in the 350B which went back to the original pentode limiter. The 350B also used a higher gm. 1st IF tube, although some 350Bs may have also been built with the old standby 6AU6 1st IF tube. The 4-tube multiplex decoder module was replaced with a virtually identical 3-tube design that moved the audio output tube to the main tuner chassis. I assume this change in the multiplex module was made to facilitate its use in receivers where the audio stage would have been redundant. The 3-tube multiplex module differed from the 4-tube module in two ways in addition to the deletion of the audio stage. First, it added switching and some capacitors to create the 'Sonic Monitor' which was Scott's system for identifying stereo broadcasts. Second, the L/C ratio of at least one of the 19/38 kHz tank circuits was changed, presumably to improve the 38 kHz subcarrier recovery.

"The 350C was much like the 350B, but got the new Scott cosmetics, and the limiter was changed to a 6U8 based dual limiter with a diode limiter followed by a pentode limiter. The multiplex module was as in the 350B. Allied radio sold a special version of the 350C with 350B cosmetics, and labelled as a 350B, although it had the new 350C limiter circuit. The 350D dropped the traditional Scott circular dial, which seemed to be a turnoff for many people, and replaced it with a standard slide rule dial to be more competitive in the market. The 350D also used a new simplified multiplex decoder module with automatic stereo/mono switching. The 350D was the only tuner in the 350 series to offer automatic stereo/mono switching."

Here's John again (perhaps we need to give him his own page?): "The LT-10 is essentially a kit version of the 314, the only two differences I know of being that the tuning 'eye' tube in the 314 was replaced by a tuning meter in the LT-10, and the original LT-10 had a brown painted face plate while the 314 had the brushed gold colour. The [stereo] LT-110B was much like a kit version of the 350B. There were two circuit variations of the LT-110, the main difference being the multiplex sub chassis and 'Sonic Monitor' circuit, as in the 350 vs. 350B. The IF/limiter stages of the LT-110B were unlike those of either the 350 or 350B, using three 6AU6 pentodes, the final one as the limiter, as in the original 311. I can't remember if the 'B' designation on the LT-110B refers to the circuit change, or if it only designates the later change to the new styling. Also I forgot to mention that the original 350 used a tube rectifier while the 350B, and later models used a solid state rectifier, IIRC the original LT-110 also used a tube rectifier and the LT-110 with the revised circuit and the LT-110B used solid state rectifiers.

"As far as performance differences between the LT-110 and the 350-D, I haven't had any personal experience with the 350-D, but I would expect that the difference was insignificant as far as RF performance goes. I could never tell the difference performance-wise between the LT-10 and the 310-D even though the 310-D had an extra IF filter and two more tubes in the IF/limiter stages. Theory says the 310-D should have a little more selectivity, but the LT-10 was equally sensitive in my experience. The 310-D did have some extra bells and whistles, though, including a squelch circuit. There could be a difference in the sound quality of the LT-110 vs. the 350-D due to the considerable differences in the multiplex circuits the two tuners use, but as I said I have no experience with the 350-D so I don't know one way or the other. I do prefer the sound of the multiplex circuit in the 310-E to that of the 350(B,C), but the 310-E multiplex is a more sophisticated multiplex decoder design than either the 350(B,C) or the 350-D design. My ideal Scott tuner would be an LT-10 with the 310-E multiplex circuit in it. The 350-D seems to be a somewhat rare tuner, I assume because the 312 came out about the same time as the 350-D, so why would anyone buy an old technology tuner like the 350-D when they could have a nice modern transistorized 312, unless saving a few dollars was important."

More from John: "I was able to locate a schematic for the original no suffix Scott 330 AM/FM tuner on the web, and it has a bypass capacitor across the cathode resistor of the first FM IF stage. My speculation is that this bypass capacitor was part of Scott's original first generation design and was then deleted from the later revised follow-on models. The cathode bypass capacitor was only used in the very early models and hence is infrequently seen."

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 02:47:39 AM »
Nice kit Scott tuner, its one of the right models, but this one is without the 6X4 valve rectifier, still great sound, but wait for the right model. Nice postage price.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VINTATGE-SCOTT-TYPE-LT-110-WIDEBAND-FM-MULTIPLEX-STEREO-TUNER-/360881267708?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item54063323fc
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 02:50:37 AM by stevenvalve »

Offline Tuyen

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 01:22:53 PM »
Hi Steven,

Would this unit be better choice than this Dynaco FM-3 Stereo tuner which does use valve rectification?

http://audioasylumtrader.com/ca/listing/Tuner/Dynaco/FM-3/Stereo-FM-Tube-Tuner/100774

Scott's face does look much prettier.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 02:00:37 PM »
Tuyen, that dynaco looks good, There is only one why to find out and that is a side be side comparison. Generally on say ebay, most of the time but not always, price can often give you an indication of sound quality but sometime this can get mixed up with collector value. You can also say, collector value is dictated by sound quality. My Scott LT110, has 11 valves, the Scott 350, 10 valves. The best Scott 310E has 15 valve so does that mean more valves equates to better sound. Scott is famous for there great tuners, is dynaco famous for there tuners.

Offline Tuyen

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 06:00:40 PM »
My days with the Accuphase tuner are nearing a end.  I need a replacement fm stereo tuner.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/H-H-Scott-Stereo-Master-Type-350B-Wideband-FM-Multiplex-Tube-Receiver-Tuner-/221412101484?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item338d308d6c&_uhb=1

Good condition this one. Pity not the version with valve rect.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 07:44:18 PM »
My days with the Accuphase tuner are nearing a end.  I need a replacement fm stereo tuner.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/H-H-Scott-Stereo-Master-Type-350B-Wideband-FM-Multiplex-Tube-Receiver-Tuner-/221412101484?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item338d308d6c&_uhb=1

Good condition this one. Pity not the version with valve rect.
That is a nice tuner and the price is right, very tempting, but as you say, no valve rectifier. If it was the right model, a 350 I would grab it.

Offline Tuyen

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 12:03:59 PM »
I just won a LT-110 for bit over $100. woohoo!  Unfortunately it seems like it isn't the version with the tube rectification.  Oh well.  Hopefully it shall still suffice :)

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 02:17:05 PM »
Very nice Tuyen!
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.