Author Topic: Scott Tuners  (Read 48569 times)

Offline klackto

• Liked: 35
Re: Scott Tuners
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2015, 06:40:05 PM »
Hi Steve
How's the 310e sounding?

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2015, 02:23:52 PM »
Hi Steve
How's the 310e sounding?
I must say after using this tuner for months and in the process of re-tubing it with the necessary brilliant valves, it's just an amazing sounding tuner, it does not drift and picks up radio stations like no other i have tried. Many radio heads feel this is the best tuner of all time and i can not argue with that. Where it really sets itself out from another tuners is its ability to sound smooth, refined, sophisticated, full and ordered, almost turntable like in its reproduction, my reception is poor so i can only imagine how it will sound with a great Arial 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 02:35:04 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2015, 03:58:17 PM »
I am just wondering what use is there for these nice vintage radios when they finally shut down AM/FM radio for good?  >:(

Norway is the first, who's next? http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-20/norway-to-turn-off-analog-fm-radio-in-sign-of-global-shift
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2015, 06:54:49 PM »
I am just wondering what use is there for these nice vintage radios when they finally shut down AM/FM radio for good?  >:(

Norway is the first, who's next? http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-20/norway-to-turn-off-analog-fm-radio-in-sign-of-global-shift
If and when it happens there will be (i will wash my mouth out with soap) Digital to analog converters for sale, but from what i hear it's a down hill step. You just plug it in to your tuner and go.

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2016, 08:53:42 AM »
If and when it happens there will be (i will wash my mouth out with soap) Digital to analog converters for sale, but from what i hear it's a down hill step. You just plug it in to your tuner and go.

Unless I am missing something,,  in that situation, the tuner isnt doing any tuning.

The digital tuner will be outputting an analog signal.   All it needs is preamp/amp etc.  No frequency tuning required.

It is a good question though.  I wonder what all the radio towers cost to maintain, and will those radio bands be better used for other purposes?
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2016, 07:09:41 AM »
Then again, we have a huge population that commutes via the car,,,  and there would be an outcry if everyone had to change their car radios.

Will it happen in the next 10 years?  Unlikely.
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2016, 01:01:22 PM »
Then again, we have a huge population that commutes via the car,,,  and there would be an outcry if everyone had to change their car radios.

Will it happen in the next 10 years?  Unlikely.
Yes that will be a problem in the future, i am not sure how it all works, but it's unlikely to be better.

Offline NoellEagan

• Liked: 0
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2017, 03:03:42 AM »
Hi...i am a new user here. What sonic symptoms are apparent when a tuner is off alignment? I'm basically just wanting this tuner for abc classic fm, so won't be constantly moving the dial anywhere after I have the station locked in.

automated pcb assembly
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 03:26:54 AM by NoellEagan »

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2017, 04:00:58 PM »
Hi...i am a new user here. What sonic symptoms are apparent when a tuner is off alignment? I'm basically just wanting this tuner for abc classic fm, so won't be constantly moving the dial anywhere after I have the station locked in.
Hi Noel, i listen mainly to ABC classic fm as well. Is your tuner Valve, If so as the valves take time to warm up and will drift a little at the start. My tuner has been calibrated, but i still have to recenter the station one or two times after i start the tube Scott 310E, then it is fine for the rest of the day. My reception is poor and that does not help. The condition of the valves is important , if they need replacing or are out of specification, that will course problems, What brand is your tuner and is it transistor and is it drifting of the station and does it sound distorted.   
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 04:04:18 PM by stevenvalve »