Author Topic: el34 killer amp  (Read 36681 times)

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
el34 killer amp
« on: September 03, 2010, 09:22:30 PM »
i was lucky to get my hands on a custom built el34 amp.full tube rectification its a killer of an amp.
built by paul in nsw.it just rocks my world
i will upload latest photos to the amp within the next couple of days as i have inserted 0.1uf duellund caps into the amp for the input caps custom made and a 4 month wait. ;D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 10:47:08 PM by kajak12 »
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

DanFi

Re: el34 killer amp
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 09:42:33 PM »
So you providing schematics and a step by step guide to make it? :P

Offline Hens

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 10:18:46 PM »
No he isnt... but Paul will still build you one... if you ask him realllly reallllly nicely.

I did, and have one on the way :)

Offline kajak12

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 10:31:15 PM »
So you providing schematics and a step by step guide to make it? :P
i would love to but its pauls work and i am unable to provide details and its preety full on the way he made it.i still dont really understand how it works yet i had it for 2 years now.everytime i change caps i take photos so i know how to put it back together.
i am just learning how valve amps work.he uses a 6l6 as a voltage regulator who else does this?
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

DanFi

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 01:13:28 AM »
No he isnt... but Paul will still build you one... if you ask him realllly reallllly nicely.

I did, and have one on the way :)

Ah didnt realise it was his design, cool. Nice to know.

crazikid

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 05:33:10 PM »
thanks mario... good to see under the hood of the killer amp... when i'm in perth i will def drop in for a listen to the Killer combo!

tuyen

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 11:04:08 PM »
Some killer AMPs getting currently built.  One for me!   and a couple for hens (bastard).

Offline flemo

• Liked: 22
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 11:55:24 PM »
Oh to be young and single Tuyen!

Can't wait to hear it, wonder if it will sound a lot different to Mario's?

Offline kajak12

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 12:17:59 AM »
Oh to be young and single Tuyen!

Can't wait to hear it, wonder if it will sound a lot different to Mario's?
i hope it sounds diffrent i dont like sharing my killer amp no1 spot ;D ;D

tuyen

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 07:08:58 PM »
Another update:

Yes, I am fortunate to be still young, single and living at home. :)

Offline kajak12

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 07:55:09 PM »
tuyen you cant afford a girl friend you spend too much money on ebay ;D

crazikid

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 08:20:24 PM »
haha.. i didnt know the killer el34 is still being commissioned... not that i need one once i get my monos.

crazikid

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 08:22:20 PM »
hens.... 2 killer amps.. not sure what your powering.... Awesome!

Offline kajak12

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 08:55:37 PM »
hens dad is getting one aswell he is also getting a killer dac.thats what happens when you hear kajak12 system.
i am a bad influance on people....  they spend $$$$$$

crazikid

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 09:04:27 PM »
thats what happens when you hear kajak12 system.
remind me NOT to listen to your system ::)

Offline kajak12

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 09:25:28 PM »
thats what happens when you hear kajak12 system.
remind me NOT to listen to your system ::)
your safe with axiom80 and monoblocks ;)

Offline Hens

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 12:34:00 AM »
hahah, getting two built so I can have something to run my rears for my movie nights!

Offline kajak12

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 06:02:33 PM »
THE MAN BEHIND THE AMP SUPPLIED ME WITH SOME INFO REGARDING THE BEAST.

This amp is pushpull parralell EL34 running in class AB1 useing fixed bias set at 30ma per tube
the speaker transformer are rated at 100w rms with a freq responce of 50hz to 20000hhz flat
and 20hz to 35000hz  at + & - 3db Power is up to 70 watts is less than 3% and up to 100 watts
less than 10%.
             Remember some amps have incredable spec and sound CRAP .  So this amp is built to sounds great not have the best spec in the world.
              All three stage have anti phase shift netwoks between then.This is done to stop the miller afect caused within the tube itself. Both stages 1 & 2 are cathode coupled ( 2 triodes each stage).One side of stage 1 is for fed back and the other is for audio in.Each output tube is indiviually coupled to the driver stages.
               All this is powered by a very heavy 600 va transformer in the psu section runing seperate supply for ouputs stages and a regulated stage for the other sections. There is a seperate fillament transformer for the EL34"s.
               Both chassis are all hand made and painted . Green or dark red will be the selection for the chassis. I allow approx 3 months to build as there is a lot of work in each amp.
                How much you ask!                 base model         $6250.00                                                    
                                                               Up graded          $6950 .00

THE DRIVER STAGE CAN USE 6SL7,ECC35,6SN7,ECC32
EL34 OR KT66
A LOT OF COMBINATION IN THE POWER RECIFICATION STAGE ITS AMP WICH YOU MAKE YOUR OWN AND TUNE IT TO YOUR LIKING.POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS AND YOUR IN CONTROL.ITS GOIT POWER AND FINESS AND CAN BE GENTLE WHEN REQUIRED.
TUBE RECTIFICATION STAGE USES 5R4GY X2, 6L6 OR 6V6 AND A VT150/0D3 VOLTAGE REGULATOR.THE 6V6 AND 6L6 CAN BE USED IN ANY COMBINATION EG:2X6V6 OR 2X6L6 ASWELL IT CHANGES THE SOUND TO YOUR LIKING.ITS ALL CUSTOM MADE
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 06:31:48 PM by kajak12 »

tuyen

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 06:21:15 PM »
and for Stevenvalve to say its one of the best push pull amps he has heard/owned has got to say something about how good this amp is!

Before I put my order down for one, I searched tirelessly through various international advanced/hardcore DIY forums under valve amps and I couldn't find any amp that is even close to being similar to this. (ie. uses only valves/drop down voltage resistors to feed power to the various components, no solid state regulators?).   

I've heard Mario's amp quite a few times now and I know what this amp does with the ML-1s.   As the rest of my system is nearly identical to his. Only my valve amp is different (not as good).

The price is actually very cheap when you compare it to other high-end high powered push pull valve amps in the market.  For $7000 would you take this amp which has all quality components and sounds incredible or $20000 for a pair of 2nd hand Audio Research 600 monoblocks which uses printed circuit bards and $2 rubycon caps :)

Offline Hens

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2010, 08:00:30 PM »
Lol, what is the difference between the upgraded and base?