General HIFI > Amplification (Pre/Power)

What is the ultimite amplifier

(1/12) > >>

stevenvalve:
I am going to build with Paul baker (Fallsaudio) what is is potentially the world best sounding amplifier. Is there such an amp.

It will be an all battery powered, single ended class a triode Amplifier. The weapons of choice will be genuine 1910 -20s Western Electric Tennis Ball 205Ds valves. I will run either 1 per side, about half a watt, or 2 per side in singe ended parallel configuration about 1 watt. As for driver tubes well that is up to debate, (an ideas). Running battery power means no mains transformer, rectifier valve, no chokes, almost no components except output transformers, resistors, and some capacitors etc. I will maybe use Lundahl output transformers (any ideas). I have heard a similar amp many years ago, and the sound was so pure, grainless, smooth, sophisticated, it was amazing. the valves in that amp where (Western Electric 417A) not nearly as good as what I will use. For those of you who don't know tubes, the Western Electric tennis ball 205D are the holey grail audio valves, and a legend worldwide, and ridiculously expensive, I have 4 (reading better than new), Western Electric tennis ball 205D, Up to $4000 a pair, and I also have the English STC tennis ball equivalents. We will need quite a few battery's, enough for around 250 volts.  I think a copper top is the way to go, wood is nice but soundwise its risky. This will be interesting.

ozmillsy:
Thats exciting.

Will 1/2 watt drive your Axioms?

Jehuty:
Put the Axiom 80s in front loaded horns  ;D

Tuyen:
wowzers Steven!   Look forward to reading about the progress.  Even though I haven't heard your system yet, from photos, your current amp already looks like the ultimate amp!

lundahl meant to be good?    how about local (ie. blackart?)      can't source any original WE output transformers?

springcreek:
Nice but is battery power the way to go? I think many of the battery power supply advocates have moved back to well thought out conventional power supplies, suggesting they surpass batteries (especially in dynamics).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version