Author Topic: opamps  (Read 4568 times)

Offline Tuyen

• Liked: 221
opamps
« on: March 28, 2014, 05:12:51 PM »
Has anyone have experience with different opamps (monolytic and/or discrete types) ?

So many out there, don't know where to look.  May be keen to try replacing the LM833 on the Najda DSP board with something bit more fancy, depending on price.

Please share which ones you feel are worth a look into!

Cheers!

Offline Tuyen

• Liked: 221
Re: opamps
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 05:29:54 PM »
Discrete units worthwhile?

http://sparkoslabs.com/discrete-op-amps/

I'm guessing only Terry would have some sort of recommendation for me.  ;D

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
Re: opamps
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 06:30:43 PM »
Hi Tuyen

Yes, I have been through soo many opamps in the last 35 years, it's not funny.  the NE5532 and 34 types are littered everywhere due to low cost and I have been replacing them for many a year.  I was shocked when I decided to open my expensive SACD player to find them in the output stage, actually, I was as annoyed as all hell as the unit in question was supposedly upgraded at great cost (another scam for some RF shielding paint which had been brushed on by the looks of a 4 year old).

No doubt there will be many saying that drop in replacements will not always work, and indeed in some cases, oscillation will occur due to poor power supply and feedback arrangements  :-[.

I have now gone over to the dark side  :o and can whole heartedly recommend the Sparkos range of devices.  I use their regulators too as it provides a much darker background (read better signal to noise ratio) which allows the finer detail through with greater ease and less smear.  Their opamps breath a whole new life into the results similar in going from a 1000 dollar amp to a 5000 dollar amp or more and whilst not cheap, they do enable the lifting of the overall sound by around 20 to 25% in my ratings, thus they have my full recommendation. ;D ;D ;D ;D

You will find more sound stage depth and width, oh and height too, easier to hear into sound with better everything as far as I am concerned and represents the finest there currently is.  Big claim, but I have now used these devices in several different pieces of equipment and every time it has been a grin inducing result at modest cost.

IMO they rate higher than the Burson range which can be a brighter enhanced treble detail and I have all of theirs to directly compare too along with the original Sun and Earth range from the originators of discrete opamps.  AD 845's are not too bad and cheap.
V
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.