Author Topic: DIY XLR  (Read 7417 times)

Offline treblid

• Liked: 15
DIY XLR
« on: March 28, 2011, 12:20:06 AM »
My first DIY attempt.

Watched youtube videos to learn how to solder. Using 99% tin solder, first cable took me 3hrs and 2nd prob around 1hr.  :'( Wanted to make 2 pairs, but ran out of time... These are stripped power cables (6xcopper core), then soldered then up in a XLR shell.

Soldering is hard as I have shaky hands...  On hindsight probably should have practice on something else first. Luckily didn't manage to break anything or melt anything...

Not sure if power cables can be used for IC, but I thought they being bigger and thicker will be easier to manage, turns out that's a silly assumption.  ::)

ATM trying to hear how these cables are different from my previous ones (silver)...  Will try other materials in the future.. Not sure what materials to try next, Ethernet cable? Also maybe try 4% silver solder... Hopefully I'd be able to reuse these XLR connectors..  ::)

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
Re: DIY XLR
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 12:50:30 AM »
well done treblid  once you start its hard to stop your diy journey just begun a new world is yours to discover
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline treblid

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 11:20:33 AM »
well done treblid  once you start its hard to stop your diy journey just begun a new world is yours to discover
haha. Thanks. Once I get used to this the next step will be modifying my sound card.. Means I have to look up youtube on learning how to desolder.. :lol: Tiny baby steps... :p

Offline audiophool

• Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 01:31:49 PM »
Try and get a hold of some Cardas Quad Eutectic solder, 100 gm lasts a good while and it is very nice to use.
I much prefer it to others I have tried.
Think I got it from Parts Conexion.

Offline treblid

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 02:55:15 PM »
Try and get a hold of some Cardas Quad Eutectic solder, 100 gm lasts a good while and it is very nice to use.
I much prefer it to others I have tried.
Think I got it from Parts Conexion.
Thanks for the tip.. Will try that.

Offline mcb

• Liked: 6
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 07:44:20 PM »
If you only want a small qty initially, have a look on ebay for a seller by the name of silverextra.

He sell all sorts of solder in small qty's.  I have ordered the quad eutectic from him on a couple of occasions.

Offline ozcal

• Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 09:25:19 PM »
Well done treb. As Mario says once you start you never stop.
I am still amazed at the improvements I have made to the sound of my system going down the DIY route.
Listening with my ears :)

Offline treblid

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 09:52:32 PM »
If you only want a small qty initially, have a look on ebay for a seller by the name of silverextra.

He sell all sorts of solder in small qty's.  I have ordered the quad eutectic from him on a couple of occasions.
Cool.. Fast shipping? I still have 13g of solder from DSE, but now that DSE don't stock electronics stuff anymore, that's all I've got.. :p

Well done treb. As Mario says once you start you never stop.
That's the plan.. :p

I am still amazed at the improvements I have made to the sound of my system going down the DIY route.
It's certainly makes me feel more involved. As to improvement, not sure I'm there yet.. :p :lol: Hopefully i'd get more acquainted with soldering/de-soldering, the next thing I'm gonna tackle is to mod the sound card on my PC.. :ninja:

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 10:24:35 PM »
Good work treblid.

I was the worlds worst solderer not too long ago.    But it got easier, when I found ways to put the things I was soldering together (rig it so the items were resting on each other),  and kept my hands free to work the iron and solder - then it got much easier.  Now my technique is good enough to be holding 1 wire, solder and iron without too much trouble.   It just takes practise.

It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline mcb

• Liked: 6
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 10:29:07 PM »

Cool.. Fast shipping? I still have 13g of solder from DSE, but now that DSE don't stock electronics stuff anymore, that's all I've got.. :p

Yep,  generally about a week.  He normally ships the same day / next day, then it up to the whims of the postal system.

If you order now, he may will ship tonight.

If you run out in the mean time, I have some you can borrow.

Offline audiophool

• Liked: 3
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 11:09:24 PM »
If you plan on attacking your sound card, see if you can scrounge a dead computer mainboard.
You can practise desoldering on that and maybe score a few handy caps as well.
Kerb collection or local computer shop should be able to help.

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 11:23:29 PM »
haha. Thanks. Once I get used to this the next step will be modifying my sound card.. Means I have to look up youtube on learning how to desolder.. :lol: Tiny baby steps... :p

here you go treb   
http://www.ehow.com/video_4435740_use-solder-wick-remove-solder.html
you can get solder wick from jaycar
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time