Author Topic: Input signal wiring  (Read 3581 times)

Offline audiophool

• Liked: 3
Input signal wiring
« on: April 03, 2011, 12:54:34 AM »
The wiring from input RCA to volume pot to input caps in my amp is some form of light guage coax with a fine guage multi strand core.
The shield and core appear to be tin or silver plated.  The shield is unconnected at the RCA and grounds at the pot and thence to ground rail adjacent to the input tag.
The shielding appears to be a good idea.
Wondering if anyone has any thoughts as to whether this could be improved by rewiring with a solid core coax or something else.

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
Re: Input signal wiring
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 01:59:08 AM »
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline audiophool

• Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 11:44:29 AM »
Mario,
the signal wiring passes in close proximity to both the power transformer and the power filtering choke.
Having already experienced the effects of induced signal in external cables I rather think the shielding to be important.
I could be wrong, would not be the first time  :P
Having noted the apparent loss of weight and body with my experimental Cat 5 I/C, I would expect a similar effect, perhaps incorrectly so, with using Cat 5 for this application.
I was looking for some indication of the possible effect, "sound" if you will, of using either thicker or thinner, stranded or solid wire for this purpose. 
On received advice which is currently working well in other areas, pure copper, unplated, is my thought.
Perhaps twisting is a solution to possible noise pickup, that is something of which I am also unsure, the possibility of adding a third wire, unconnected at input to make a twisted triplet with the third wire being a "drain" also occurs to me.
Comments ?

Offline data

• Liked: 24
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 11:50:45 PM »
I used some of this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Neotech-UPOCC-Solid-Core-7N-Copper-20AWG-BLACK-Teflon-/320701411906

From RCA's to pot to input, if worried about interference lightly twist the negative and signal wires together for each channel (i didn't need to), it will help if there is an issue.

Better still, route them away from the worst potential offenders, power transformers, and wires, and where you can't do so... cross them at right angles to the power wires.

This gauge might be better for that use http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Neotech-UPOCC-Solid-Core-7N-Copper-24AWG-RED-Teflon-/320769013099?pt=AU_Electronics_Accessories_Wires_Cables&hash=item4aaf52b56b

Given that not a lot is needed, you may like to try each gauge and compare?

Edit: The other thing you can try is a pony tail plait using one run for positive and two for negative, but connect the two neg' at the input RCA's but one of them floating at the pot, this arrangement works with IC's and the Neg' that is not connected at the pot end will act as a shield, just a thought.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 01:35:48 AM by data »