Author Topic: Leak Stereo 20 Modifications  (Read 70876 times)

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
Re: Leak Stereo 20 Modifications
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2015, 10:02:46 PM »
Do you mean Jensons, or Jupiter's?
You are right, It's Jupiter's, fixed it.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2015, 07:09:29 PM »
The Jupiter Copper Foil 0.47uF 600VDC capacitors have been running for about 5 days and I can say these are one great sounding capacitor, one of the best out there. Upon comparing them to the best I have heard, (Duelund Copper Foil 0.47uF VSF the capacitor), they are very different, but very close in performance, each with its strengths, the Jupiter may be a little leaner, slightly brighter, and whiter, and do not have the duelunds lovely lower midrange on down bloom, weight and warmth, but they have a beautiful upper midrange clarity plus an all over sweetness and lack of distortion. Some audioheads will prefer the Jupiter's detailed smooth clean sweet character, but the final decision is always system dependence. A fine capacitor and with more run in time they can only improve.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 08:19:30 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline brenden

• Liked: 78
« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2015, 01:10:14 PM »
Hi Steve . This mirrors my experience even though I am  not directly comparing them in the same position .
    I am using the Jupiters as power supply bypasses and the duelunds in the output coupling .at the moment . Both are magic.There is a wonderful calmness and lack of  distortion  with the Jupiters without any loss of dynamics or resolution .
    For me the .01 as a bypass on the power supplies  and Duelund on the output is a match made in heaven , not to mention my other copper foil polystyrenes and pps caps in critical digital areas .They all   contribute  their bit toward incredible digital playback .
  At some stage I will do a direct comparison on the output with the Jupiters and another few top flight caps but for now I dont feel like I am missing  out on anything whatsoever .

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2016, 03:02:27 PM »
Some new capacitors for the second Leak Stereo 20, these capacitors are not a red Wima clone. The brand is STLX. Ian will soon explain there claim to fame. I am now running them in.
I have changed back to the Jupiters copper foil, i need to put in a lot of miles before i comment on them. Getting this cheaper leak to the same standard as the duelund leak is proving to be a challenge. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 03:04:07 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2017, 02:15:51 PM »
I have changed back to the Jupiters copper foil, i need to put in a lot of miles before i comment on them. Getting this cheaper leak to the same standard as the duelund leak is proving to be a challenge.
I have completely rebuilt this Leak in the last month i will post pictures soon. The bottom line seems to be, ONLY THE BEST WILL DO...........
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 02:17:29 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2017, 11:31:32 PM »
Rebuilt this Second Leak Last Month, I really had too, because the second Leak 20, filled with B grade parts just did not have the same Magic as the main Leak, so it was just a case of put in what i had. Everything i installed was spare and i thought why leave 2 Watt resistors like Allen bradley, Shinkok, and old Andionote, and even the new audionote models sitting unused in a box. I just measured and installed the right values and amazingly i ended up filling all the resistor places in the leak, but with no real tuning pattern just what fitted and to my real surprise the amp sounded superb, just goes to show that 2 watt quality resistors even randomly installed still work better as a hole than the 1 watt standard stuff. Then it was just a case of installing the worlds best capacitors Duelund VSF copper and a few well placed Solen PB 15uf capacitors, plus a partridge 8 Henry 200 ma choke. The sound now is really close to the full on leak stereo 20 but it is still a cheaper rebuild. But really i must say its not that cheap a rebuild anymore. One big problem is the Duelund VSF copper is so much better than anything out there, what does one do.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 07:16:22 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2018, 01:34:38 PM »
I had a 4 Jupiter Copper foil caps laying around so i put them to good use, This leak just did not quite cut it against the other leak, so i installed 4 of these caps and the improvement is substantial. Now it is close, but as i said before its no longer a cheap rebuild.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 01:40:29 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline kajak12

• http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2018, 10:33:41 PM »
I had a 4 Jupiter Copper foil caps laying around so i put them to good use, This leak just did not quite cut it against the other leak, so i installed 4 of these caps and the improvement is substantial. Now it is close, but as i said before its no longer a cheap rebuild.
Whats cheap in audio? ;)
i have no duelunds  :P
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2018, 03:08:17 PM »
I had a 4 STLX Copper caps laying around so i put them to good use. Out went the 4 Jupiter Copper foil caps and i installed 4 of these caps. Why because i could. Now it is just different, but excellent, basically its name your poison, but as i said before its no longer a cheap rebuild.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 03:11:37 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2018, 06:52:30 PM »
I needed to try the Vintage 1950/60c English TCC oil Capacitors. but it proved to be a non event, i think these 4 had problems and the amp sounded distorted, But i have plenty more so i will try again soon with a another set.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2018, 12:14:32 AM »
Picked up an immaculate standard leak Stereo 20 with all original insides. I can now see what they used as standard parts. I think this is the only original one i have seen. I had to put on the new speaker terminals. The standard ones are useless. It was really important the see what parts leak originally used and now i know.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 06:26:28 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: May 19, 2018, 12:27:54 AM »
I am trying some new caps expensive and interesting.

Offline brenden

« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2018, 12:36:57 PM »
That didnt take you  long to get them in 😊
     Here is a close up òf the  t cap  from Toichi   Japan
  Its a polypropylene  copper foil   and will be interesting how they compare to the best .
   Tone factory  are very weĺ regarded in Japan  and make paper in oils also .

« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 12:43:05 PM by brenden »

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2018, 06:39:25 PM »
Picked up an immaculate standard leak Stereo 20 with all original insides. I can now see what they used as standard parts. I think this is the only original one i have seen. I had to put on the new speaker terminals. The standard ones are useless. It was really important the see what parts leak originally used and now i know.
Unfortunately i had to rebuild some of this new leak because age has damaged some of the electrolytic capacitors and resistors but of cause i used Allen Bradley 2 watt and Jensen electrolytics. But i will keep every original part intact where possible.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 07:19:25 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2018, 06:57:55 PM »
A picture of the stock underside except the 100R green resistor is gone replaced by a choke.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 07:00:14 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: September 18, 2018, 04:00:34 PM »
I have been installing mostly standard parts into the 3rd leak and in a real hurry, i did not take enough time watching things, and when finished i put it back in service. After about 2 days i heard what sounded like a shotgun blast from under the leak, what the hell.... well i put the 4-47uf on back to front, and you know what happens when you install electrolytic capacitors with the wrong polarity don't you....... Bang.  Pictures for your fun.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 04:05:01 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline rab

• Administrator
  • Liked: 36
« Reply #96 on: September 19, 2018, 09:01:45 PM »
ouch! ... and BOTH of them, too. How sad...

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2018, 07:54:46 PM »
Tried these old 1950s 60-s illusion made for Audio capacitors in the leak and really liked them. They are 4/0.33 and 4/0.1, They are on Ebay as i type and cheap.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 07:56:21 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: August 07, 2019, 08:52:57 PM »
Hi guys i have just been around to a friends house to listen to his new Audio research Reference 160 M Monoblock Amplifiers running on Harbeth Monitor 40.2 Floorstanding Speakers. The amps had just finished the recommended 500 hour run in period suggested by Audio research and where ready to go. He also owned one of my own full on 1964 leak stereo 20s. So it was time for a shootout, The interest for me was to see how much better was the new technology amplifiers where over the old vintage stuff. He was quite neutral about the result, after all he owned both of these amplifiers, but had not listened to either side by side until the Audio research was ready. Well the time had come, the nagging question was will the Leak cut it. All my work and effort, it was time for the leak to show if it was indeed yesterdays news or tomorrows headline. First on went the Audio research Reference 160 M Monoblock Amplifiers. The sound was very clean ordered and precise, very nice, very modern sound and delivered by one of my favorite audio manufactures, Audio research. Now its the leaks turn, my heart was jumping, i was thinking will it be ordinary, have i been delusional, is it really just an ancient piece of audio history belonging in an old persons home. The time had come. The music started and out popped the timbre, not just timbre but timbre to die for, timbre that makes your hair stand up. Out flowed incredible musicality involvement warmth heart soul. The cello sounded like it was right in front of you with a rich you are there gut wrenching texture that makes you feel you can reach out and touch it. My friend summed it up nicely when he said the Audio research Reference 160 M sounds like he was listening to a good hifi system, but the leak stereo 20 sounded like he was at the concert. Was it that good, no it was better, just stunning. But we are not talking about any Leak we talking about a brilliant Leak stereo 20 properly modified. I say this, I doubt if there is a better push pull amplifier than this leak stereo 20.   
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 01:27:40 AM by stevenvalve »

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2020, 06:24:28 PM »
Hi guys i have just been around to a friends house to listen to his new Audio research Reference 160 M Monoblock Amplifiers running on Harbeth Monitor 40.2 Floorstanding Speakers. The amps had just finished the recommended 500 hour run in period suggested by Audio research and where ready to go. He also owned one of my own full on 1964 leak stereo 20s. So it was time for a shootout, The interest for me was to see how much better was the new technology amplifiers where over the old vintage stuff. He was quite neutral about the result, after all he owned both of these amplifiers, but had not listened to either side by side until the Audio research was ready. Well the time had come, the nagging question was will the Leak cut it. All my work and effort, it was time for the leak to show if it was indeed yesterdays news or tomorrows headline. First on went the Audio research Reference 160 M Monoblock Amplifiers. The sound was very clean ordered and precise, very nice, very modern sound and delivered by one of my favorite audio manufactures, Audio research. Now its the leaks turn, my heart was jumping, i was thinking will it be ordinary, have i been delusional, is it really just an ancient piece of audio history belonging in an old persons home. The time had come. The music started and out popped the timbre, not just timbre but timbre to die for, timbre that makes your hair stand up. Out flowed incredible musicality involvement warmth heart soul. The cello sounded like it was right in front of you with a rich you are there gut wrenching texture that makes you feel you can reach out and touch it. My friend summed it up nicely when he said the Audio research Reference 160 M sounds like he was listening to a good hifi system, but the leak stereo 20 sounded like he was at the concert. Was it that good, no it was better, just stunning. But we are not talking about any Leak we talking about a brilliant Leak stereo 20 properly modified. I say this, I doubt if there is a better push pull amplifier than this leak stereo 20.

This sort of post will just push up the price of the Leak even higher ??? ??? I only got one Stereo 20 and I still want another one (or two!).

Nice Yamamura IC, I need another pair for my bedroom system, you selling?  :) :)
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.