Author Topic: YAQIN NEW MC-13S EL34(6CA7)X4 Vacuum Tube Hi-end Tube Integrated Amplifier  (Read 22756 times)

Offline PingPing

• Liked: 6
Hi Peoples, what are your thoughts on the YAQIN NEW MC-13S EL34(6CA7)X4 Vacuum Tube Hi-end Tube Integrated Amplifier Push-Pull Silver...

http://www.amazon.com/YAQIN-MC-13S-Integrated-Amplifier-Push-Pull/dp/B00A7IZN70/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=1JF7P2357NEB8855FHPF

thanks  :)

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
Hi pingping, welcome.

No experience with that amp.  But it looks pretty.  Amazing  that they can make it for that price, and still give Amazon their margins.
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline PingPing

Hi ozmillsy, thanks... Yes and I wonder if it is worth modifying?

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
Welcome pingping!

Based on the description, it's an upgrade from the old MC-10L. I have one fully modified by Joe Rasmussen, see http://www.customanalogue.com/jlti_el34.htm

Massive improvements over the stock Yaqin. But there's a better value for money Chinese amp, it's the Ming Da MC34AB. See: http://www.cattylink.com/page311.html
Review: http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue28/mingda_34.htm

I think you can contact the Ming Da factory directly and get an even better price from them. Tell them you don't want the tubes. The standard tubes belong to the bin. You are better off using old stock tubes.
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
Hi ozmillsy, thanks... Yes and I wonder if it is worth modifying?
If you mod it the right way, and I stress the right way, it can only get better, but can it end up being a great amplifier, just be careful you buy the right amp to start with. The output transformers are the key, they must be great, and greatness even depends on the wire type the output transformers run.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 12:32:01 AM by stevenvalve »

Offline PingPing

Wow, thanks Guys, that's a fantastic welcoming, very much appreciated  :)

Hi Jehuty, I will have a read of the links, thanks  :) 
To ask can you really contact the Ming Da factory directly? ... do you happen to know the contact details, thanks  :)

Offline PingPing

Hi Jehuty, yes, it looks like the Joe Rasmussen fully modified JLTi EL34 (Projected Price is based on $990 plus cost of importing a Chinese unit) :)

A couple of the key aspects that I have read are...

Input Circuitry:
- Constant Current Source(CCS) technology (improves PSRR) and Direct Coupling(DC) minimises the need for coupling capacitors... nice :)

Output Stage:
- Make the EL34 Pentodes behave as real Super Linear Triodes... nice :)
- Stop the Audio Transformers permeability sliding to dangerously low levels by using their L.E.M., Linearity Enhancement Module (from technology developed/patented during WW2 then forgotten... interesting)... nice :)

No Negative Feedback:
- It would appear that because the EL34 Pentodes are behaving like Super Linear Triodes that the negative feedback can be completely eliminated... nice  :)

New Input and Inter-Stage Wiring: Single core silver impregnated copper from OK Wire Company in the UK. This has also been cryo'd... interesting

Jehuty, would you say your JLTi EL34 sounds like the shown review and have you compared it to other pre/power and integrated components...

Offline Greg Erskine

• Liked: 2
PingPing,

Have you thought about a SKA150?  ;D

regards

Offline PingPing

Hi Greg Erskine, why do you think the SKA150 should be considered.  Do you think that it will be better than the YAQIN or JLTi EL34 or Ming Da MC34AB...?   You have mentioned the SKA150... are there other solid state amps that you like also  :)

Hi Peoples, what are your thoughts of the SKA150 compared to the YAQIN or JLTi EL34 or Ming Da MC34AB or anything else... thanks :)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 02:52:23 PM by PingPing »

Offline PingPing

If you mod it the right way, and I stress the right way, it can only get better, but can it end up being a great amplifier, just be careful you buy the right amp to start with. The output transformers are the key, they must be great, and greatness even depends on the wire type the output transformers run.
Hi stevenvalve, how can you tell if the output transformers are great and what would you say is the right way to mod?

Steven, do you think that it is possible for a solid state amp to be as good as a well modded valve amp?

« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 06:31:13 PM by PingPing »

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
Wow, thanks Guys, that's a fantastic welcoming, very much appreciated  :)

Hi Jehuty, I will have a read of the links, thanks  :) 
To ask can you really contact the Ming Da factory directly? ... do you happen to know the contact details, thanks  :)
Yes, you can. I just can't find the post which got the email address. Try finding Ming Da or Mei Xing website on Google then you might be able to get some contact details.

Jehuty, would you say your JLTi EL34 sounds like the shown review and have you compared it to other pre/power and integrated components...
Here's another review: http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2010/10/custom-analogue-jlti-el34-power-amplifier/
The problem with the JLTi is that they use cheap parts like the electrolytic caps, binding posts, RCA pods and even the volume pot. So, it's a lot of money to spend if you buy new, you are looking at around $2k if you want to get it fully modded with quality parts. Mind you, I haven't heard any solid state amps that I like better than the JLTi. I do have one and I am willing to sell it because it doesn't get much use anymore, I am also moving into SET territory soon. My current amp is Leak Stereo 20 with a Dodd battery preamp. The Leak certainly sounds better than JLTi but it doesn't have enough power to run lower sensitivity speakers.
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline PingPing

:) :) :)

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358

Steven, do you think that it is possible for a solid state amp to be as good as a well modded valve amp?

Ping you need at look at the long term, many start with solid state but eventually almost all move to valve, (does that tell you something about your question) you do not want to play the expensive game of buying and selling to try to end up at Valhalla, just go straight there, via a great production valve amp. and then mod your way to greatness. You can make your amp sound any way you like, once you have a fully understanding of the colorations of the parts you will use. So you need to find out what is a great amp to start with. First we need to know your budget.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 11:27:00 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline PingPing

Hi Steven, I guess the budget is around the price of the YAQIN MC-13S EL34(6CA7)X4 Vacuum Tube Hi-end Tube Integrated Amplifier and perhaps the Ming Da MC34AB. 

The nice thing with both of them is that they are an Integrated (Pre/Power) amp :)

I was thinking of buying one of these then slowly modding it as I have more funds... just a thought  :)

Is that a good idea or is there a better way to go about it?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 09:19:39 PM by PingPing »

Offline matt200sr

• Liked: 9
I have a modified Mingda MC34ab for sale in the classifieds section that people on here can vouch for.

Offline data

• Liked: 24
Hi, PingPing

Nice to see you found this place, It's right for you :)

I think if you can swing the modded 34AB matt is selling you will be mighty impressed. But if out of budget, maybe a stock Ming Da?
i originally went with a MC-10L and while it sounded much better with a new pot, new caps and some resistors and triode strapping ect', it still had the drawbacks that Jehuty mentioned, very cramped inside for modding too.....in the end it was stripped down and now only the transformers remain (different circuit now also).

What speakers are you running again?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 06:32:46 PM by data »

Offline ochremoon

• Liked: 8
Hi, PingPing,

I think if you can swing the modded 34AB matt is selling you will be mighty impressed.

It all depends whether he wants to go straight there or if he'd rather enjoy the journey (sorry Mario) of slowly modding

Offline gamve

• Liked: 219
Ping you need at look at the long term, many start with solid state but eventually almost all move to valve, (does that tell you something about your question) you do not want to play the expensive game of buying and selling to try to end up at Valhalla, just go straight there, via a great production valve amp. and then mod your way to greatness. You can make your amp sound any way you like, once you have a fully understanding of the colorations of the parts you will use. So you need to find out what is a great amp to start with. First we need to know your budget.

Sound sensible approach to me oh holy one.

Best idea is to save yourself a ton of pain and frustration and make a final purchase first.
determine what your final speakers are going to be then get Paul (Falls Audio) to build the
best amp you can't afford, then find, beg, steal or borrow the money to get it. Once you have
your amplification and your speakers right (room also) any source change will instantly let you
know if you are going in the right direction. The bonus is you will have something decent to listen
to and test changes while you sort out your front end. You can start with mediocre gear and try and
make it decent but you better have a very good ear and it helps if your 12 years old when you start
the process. This stuff takes years and an extreme skill level even to get good results let alone
outstanding results. I know what I hear and I know what I like to hear. Just sometimes my system
meets my highest expectations but only sometimes. This is a fuggin tough hobby. You can fcuk about
for years and spend 10's of thousands or much more only to realize that you are chasing your tail and
end up thinking the system you had 5 years ago sounded better (i've been there 3 times)
Save yourself some pain and buy the best you can first is my recommendation.

Offline data

• Liked: 24
It all depends whether he wants to go straight there or if he'd rather enjoy the journey (sorry Mario) of slowly modding
Yes....very true, and I think PingPing is of this type who enjoys a good modding :)

Offline PingPing

Thank you guys, all excellent advise and I shall have a little think  8)