Author Topic: DIY Interconnects - Show Us Your Work.  (Read 18865 times)

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
DIY Interconnects - Show Us Your Work.
« on: May 04, 2014, 09:17:44 AM »
Most of us dabble in making DIY interconnects from time to time.   This thread is to share pics of your work.

I've havent made a pair of cables for AGES,   just dont have the time.

But I had a need for a short pair of interconnects,  and I didnt have any spare sets lying around of the right length.    So,,,,, that prompted me to dig out the box of spare parts, and make a pair.

Always looking to try new things.    This time,  I went with 20awg Neotech for the signal  (left over wire I had from my speaker cable set, which I am still using BTW).  Not the preferred gauge for interconnects, but it was on hand.   I stripped the teflon coating and inserted the bare neotech wire into some wider teflon tubing.    And for ground,  I used 3 x cat5 wires,  again stripped down to bare wire and inserted into teflon tubing.    These 4 strands of wire were then braided.

For connectors,  I just used some spare gold plated connectors I had lying around.  Cheap stuff, I bought a long time ago. 

I started digging for parts around 10pm'ish 1 night earlier in the week,   and I finished making them around 1.30am in the morning.   Time just flies when making cables.  I'd forgotten how fiddly the job is,  and how slow I am at making them.   :-[ 

Here they are;

I put them on the spare system,  and,,,,,,,   :-X  :-X  :-X   .   I was over tired and under whelmed.   

Left that system on repeat for 3 days,  then listened again,  and I have to say,  after some burn in they're sounding pretty good for a set I just whacked together late 1 night.  Amazing the difference a little running in makes.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 09:29:19 AM by ozmillsy »
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline ozmillsy

Re: DIY Interconnects - Show Us Your Work.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 02:22:00 PM »
I'm pretty happy with the way those little baby IC's are sounding,  so I am venturing into a longer version. 

- Pure Harmony plugs
- Signal wire 1xNeotech 20AWG stripped nude,  and fed into wider Teflon tube.
- Ground wire 3xCAT5 stripped nude, fed into Teflon tube
- 4 wire braid

Spent last night stripping the wires and tubing them up.   Plugs arrived today.    Will do the soldering tonight, and running in over the weekend.

Pics to follow soon.   :)

Offline PingPing

• Liked: 6
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 03:54:24 PM »
Hi ozmillsy, really looking forward to the result  :)

They recommend >200hrs Burn-in... do you think the w/e will be enough running in? ... and is the wire run-in or new?

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 04:27:11 PM »
They recommend >200hrs Burn-in... do you think the w/e will be enough running in? ... and is the wire run-in or new?
The wire is new, and you are probably right.    But I cant wait that long, before I hear what they sound like.   ;)

Offline Tuyen

• Liked: 221
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 10:34:41 PM »
Klotz AC-110 cable + Amphenol plugs.

Wire stripped. Shiny real copper guys!!

Prepared into the plug

Soldered into place

One pair done and ready for action!

They have just replaced a pair of vintage cheap-series Accuphase interconnects!  ;D

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 01:02:52 AM »
Nice cables T !

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 01:04:48 AM »
Just finished my pair.   Here is my dodgy phone shot,  too tired to make it try and look better,    :) 

Now on the SS system, running in.  [yawn]

Offline Tuyen

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 02:38:52 AM »
Nice work Oz!

Since I felt I was on a roll, I ended up making another pair of interconnects tonight with the remaining Klotz wire.  Found a pair of DIY braided silver interconnects lying around which had bullet plugs that I could salvage.   I have tried these silver interconnects in every location on my system and can't say I was a fan of what they did.  Just didn't gel.

leftover klotz wire, next to DIY braided silver interconnects with copper bullet plugs.

sexy braiding. unfortunately did not give sexy sound on my system.

bullet plugs removed and ready to be reused.

let the soldering begin!

Another pair done.  What have they replaced?  Tara Labs Prism 5500i   cables (cheap stuff)!

Left system on running in cables. Productive night for DIY interconnects!  ;D

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 08:43:26 AM »
Well done with those bullets Tuyen,   that ground wire tag is small,  and its effing fiddly to get a clean join.

The other DIY tip Mario gave me WRT bullets,   is to attach them to an old component when you are doing the soldering, so the heat from the solder transfers.

If the soldering iron lingers too long,  the plastic on the plug can soften.

Nice work man, I like it.     After running in, you must report back how they are sounding.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 08:53:05 AM »
My DIY learnings from this latest set.

* the new harmony plugs are a dream to work with.  The tags are soo much easier,  KLE has used a new heat resistant plastic.  2 screws to hold the wire, etc.
* the only issue I had with the plugs is the rubbery grommet thingy that seals the end of the plug,   it's a little soft and 1 of 4 tore a little when I fed it over my braid.   Be careful with it.
* I should of measured up all of my components before starting.   I ran out of teflon tubing for my cat5 ground wires,  and had to use a smaller size for 1 IC.   The end result is aesthetics, 1 cable looks thicker than the other.    They should sound identical.

I am going to have to redo them when I get more tubing,   because I have psychological problems and everthing HAS to look the same.   8)  :-\

Offline omodo

• Liked: 104
  • Green tinted glow
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 10:43:53 AM »
Nice work Oz!

Since I felt I was on a roll, I ended up making another pair of interconnects tonight with the remaining Klotz wire.  Found a pair of DIY braided silver interconnects lying around which had bullet plugs that I could salvage.   I have tried these silver interconnects in every location on my system and can't say I was a fan of what they did.  Just didn't gel.

Left system on running in cables. Productive night for DIY interconnects!  ;D

Nice job Tuyen!

I quite like those Klotz cables...

Rega used to sell ICs made from the Klotz La Grange and Neutrik plugs, the AC110 is meant to replace the discontinued La Grange I believe

Offline Tuyen

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 12:09:34 PM »
Thanks D.

Yah, I haven't looked too much into the Klotz, but from a little online reading, I think you are right.    The Klotz La Grange seems like very popular in the guitar world. "high perfomance' cable for 'real world price'.

Initial impressions after 12hrs running,  very clear/'direct', dynamic, 'full'/'rich' sounding.   Possibly ever so slightly edgy/unrefined.    Might go away after more hours?   Not fussed if it doesn't.  My ears will probably adjust to it anyway :)

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 07:54:11 PM »
My ears will probably adjust to it anyway :)

Yes this is an issue when powers of discrimination fade with increased exposure.  Just why anyone would chose this route I find strange.
V
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline PingPing

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 08:12:44 PM »
Hi vitavoxdude, once I have heard a better sound, especially high resolution, low distortion, high harmonic textured sound, I find it is very difficult for my ears to enjoy a lesser sound. 

I generally find that if I have to enjoy a lesser sound that I do not listen for very long and probably end up listening to the radio or watching TV. 
Something that distracts my ears from listening to the lesser sound. 

Our ears can be quite tolerant though, although mine don't seem to be after they have heard something better... thanks  :)

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2014, 09:10:37 PM »
Initial impressions after 12hrs running,  very clear/'direct', dynamic, 'full'/'rich' sounding.   Possibly ever so slightly edgy/unrefined.    Might go away after more hours?
Yes, definitely they should smooth out with running in. Sounds like a good start though.

Offline PingPing

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 04:38:06 AM »
Just finished my pair.   Here is my dodgy phone shot,  too tired to make it try and look better,    :) 

Now on the SS system, running in.  [yawn]
Hi ozmillsy, how are they sounding with the Pure Harmony plugs... thanks  :)

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 07:39:46 AM »
Just looking at that photo again, I like how the copper shimmers through the opaque Teflon. :)

I snuck an early listen to them on Sat night.  They were less veiled than the IC's they replaced (in the spot from Dac to pre),  nothing stood out to tell me they were not sounding any good.

I listened to them for about an hour,  then put them back onto the run-in system,  where I will leave them for another week or so.

The true test will be when I take them to Stevens, and compare it to his 5000s.  Don't know if I want to do that, could burst my bubble.   :P

Offline Tuyen

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 06:52:07 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with having a reference component (be it usually a commercial product) that interests both yourself and others to hear how it compares to your DIY creation?   That seems like what commonly happens at the small and big Asian/European/American 'DIY' meets I read about online? That's a big part of the fun with DIY, IMO?       8)

Offline PingPing

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2014, 07:18:36 AM »
Just looking at that photo again, I like how the copper shimmers through the opaque Teflon. :)

I snuck an early listen to them on Sat night.  They were less veiled than the IC's they replaced (in the spot from Dac to pre),  nothing stood out to tell me they were not sounding any good.

I listened to them for about an hour,  then put them back onto the run-in system,  where I will leave them for another week or so.

The true test will be when I take them to Stevens, and compare it to his 5000s.  Don't know if I want to do that, could burst my bubble.   :P
Hi ozmillsy, look forward to your impressions once burn-in has completed :)

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2014, 08:02:28 AM »
Pingping,  the plugs are great, assembly is easier,   but they are firm and snug when plugged onto the rca sockets - without needing to push too hard.

Listened again for an hour last night.   No grain, no veil.   Have about 4 days running in to go.