Author Topic: new Duelund Alexander caps  (Read 36376 times)

Offline data

• Liked: 24
Re: new Duelund Alexander caps
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2011, 04:06:28 AM »
Good to hear you sorted out that issue.

Hmm...I'm planning on getting the Deulunds next week, but am very tempted with Andyn Copper caps due to the lower cost.

But then, will I be forever wondering if I made a compromise  :-[

I better get the Deulunds...

Offline data

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2012, 05:04:26 PM »
Caps came today and I have just fired it up (15min ago), noticing a very natural, uncoloured sound with realistic detail, micro as well.

Instruments and voices sound more real than I have heard them before from my system, these are going to be very good once run-in :)

(They are black)  ;)

Offline ozcal

• Liked: 2
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2012, 05:10:41 PM »
Great stuff Ian
Listening with my ears :)

Offline data

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2012, 07:05:10 PM »
Hay Gordon, was going to wait till I have a bit of time up on them, but had to give a first impression.

I had been actually worried that the step up might not be all that I had hoped for, and should have spent the $$ on something else....i was wrong.

Listening to Tori Amos, that resent one, and there is a lot of piano....and it is just lovely, the classical acoustic backing is all very breath taking, and her daughter sounds more like a girl of 10, before hand not so much, all very true to life (as far as my ears go).

Sound stage has improved also, got to get lots of hours up now, but that means I need more vinyl  ;D

Offline linnmaster

• Liked: 0
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2012, 08:21:13 AM »
Personally, these I feel give me the best sound I have yet to hear on my preamp.  Haven't tried the AmpOhms, but I have read good things about them.  Would not mind trying them, but then again, cannot be bothered with the mod if only to ultimately run with Duelund CAST Cu or Blacks ... One day ... one day ....

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2012, 04:54:37 PM »
Personally, these I feel give me the best sound I have yet to hear on my preamp.  Haven't tried the AmpOhms, but I have read good things about them.  Would not mind trying them, but then again, cannot be bothered with the mod if only to ultimately run with Duelund CAST Cu or Blacks ... One day ... one day ....
 The Duelund VSF  Cu is the best cap i have ever heard, and by a long way, even better than the more expensive PIO.  But the point is, even if a cap arrives that is better, that cannot take away from the fact that the Duelund VSF Cu is still a great great cap, they are so good its hard to believe there is better cap, but as you know there is allways a contender around that corner. But ultimately synergy rules the cap roust.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 01:22:12 AM by stevenvalve »

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2012, 06:36:09 PM »
You probably meant Duelund VSF Steve? Duelund CAST is the more expensive PIO.
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline data

« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2012, 08:02:52 PM »
Yup, and the Alexandra apparently uses the same oil as the high end CAST, but while I love the Alexandra caps, I'm sure they are not in the same league as the VSF's or CAST caps, even though I have not heard them in an amp, I have only heard the VSF's, and that was in Bill's ML-3's.

Offline linnmaster

« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2012, 10:06:09 AM »
Unfortuantely, I don't believe I can run with the VSF range.  I would have chosen this path ultimately but I think the VSF are not in the voltage range.  Hence I am stuck with CAST and BLACK.  I need 400V min ... the Alexander's are 900V rated?  I can't remember now.

I run 3.3uf per channel at the moment ...  but I think I can get away with 2.2 in this position (just prior to Volume pot).  I have used 5uf, 47uf in this location before, and then 22uf.  3.3uf seems to work well, so I don't feel the need to reduce it down futher.

- David

Offline data

« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2012, 12:13:15 PM »
The VSF's were also not an option for me due to the voltage, and they were out of my price range too.

Yes, the Alexandra is 900v.

Offline audiophool

• Liked: 3
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2012, 12:32:51 PM »
Linnmaster, I am curious about your requirement for over 400v prior to the volume control.
I am far from an expert, but most volume controls attenuate the input signal prior to amplification, in which case they will only see a few volts peak to peak.
Perhaps your design is something I have not seen? (there are plenty)

Offline linnmaster

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2012, 11:25:17 PM »
That's a good point Audiophool ... I have no idea ... but I haven't actually measured the voltage across the cap ...  I don't actually know the circuit design ... only going by what the designer said.  Maybe there is something behind caps 400V min rated ... not too sure ...

Offline audiophool

« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2012, 02:04:10 PM »
Different application from Gordon's, but I have recently replaced a pair of Ampohm Cu with a pair of Alexanders and the difference is very worthwhile in my application, coupling driver and power tubes in my Eric McC 2A3 amp.
Caps have now had around 300 hours and sounding positively delicious, cannot hear a downside in this application.
Ever't'ing much mo betta - I like very much these caps.
Granted they are 0.47 and the Ampohm were 0.33 which was what I had, but bass extension is improved and the entire tonal palette seems more "fleshed out", upright bass and piano benefit a lot, but instrument separation and definition seems improved and handclaps seem to have gained flesh on the hands while the top end is neither ignored nor accentuated.
Listening to Jazz at the Pawnshop and being able to listen to the interplay of the musicians and their individual contributions as they pass it to and fro with the background of the live venue. Being able to appreciate what a great job was done with the mike placements and fairly basic mix panel used for the recordings.
Nothing emphasised and everything discernable, distinct and in proper proportion, both tonally and dynamically.

Offline data

« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2012, 06:56:54 PM »
Same application as myself, and the description of benefits are very much what I noticed too  8)

Although I replaced Mundorf S&O's rather than Ampohm.

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2012, 08:05:08 AM »
Pawnshop sure is a great reference recording !
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline ozcal

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2012, 06:42:05 PM »
Decided to give the Alexanders another go now that the psu  for my pre has been fully upgraded .
I still have the 0.1uf 's from the previous attempt and have bought a pair of 1uF so that all the Ampohms can be swapped out.
Should be able to fit them tommorow.
Will post my thoughts after a bit of burn in.

Offline ozcal

« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2012, 07:08:46 PM »
Alexanders are in the pre but sounding pretty bright at the moment. Run in time again :D

Offline ozcal

« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2012, 05:30:23 PM »
Hi guy's got a few more hours on the caps , brightness has deminished but the sound is still a bit flat and hi-fi ish. Loss of scale and depth compared to the really well run in Ampohms.
Running in continues ;D

Offline ozcal

« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2012, 03:25:10 PM »
Hi guy's , Sound now getting much better , the flow and musicality that I like is starting to  happen. :D

Offline audiophool

« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2012, 08:43:33 PM »
I have heard a good few headphone amps and phono stages take up to 600 hrs of power on time to fully develop, so I am never in a rush for the full development of new capacitors.
Sounds like they are coming along nicely.