Author Topic: Computer transport interface  (Read 72721 times)

Offline Tuyen

• Liked: 221
Re: Computer transport interface
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2014, 07:43:59 PM »
Progress!  I like it!

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2014, 08:08:26 PM »
Danny,  if you are around, can you clarify what Steven means by 'reclocker' ?

I assume this is something different to the buffer inside my transport that drives the i2s outputs?
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline brenden

• Liked: 78
« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2014, 11:46:17 PM »
I just noticed the clock in the CD94.Its the same clock  that I am using from Valab .This clock is an excellent value for around $50 .I  really think the clock  would benefit from bigger and better filter caps ,and intend to try a couple of my favourite Elnas ,off board .I don't have it running from a battery ,but used to run my first CD94 mk2 clock with a battery  about 15 years ago ,until I had to pack it away about 6 years ago .It was more pure with battery for sure .

I have actually  bought another couple of these clocks .One for a mate  ,and one for my CD12 .

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2014, 12:07:53 AM »
The battery to run the clock (12Volt) was not a little better, I was amazingly better. There is just to much noise in the transport power supply.

Offline brenden

« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2014, 07:32:10 AM »
Yeah  Steven , it was such a long time ago , I prefer to err on the side of caution with my claims.

To  lessen the chance of noise I run separate wires  from the clock to the transformer for  power  ,instead of trying to tap one of the other boards .
         I will improve the power capacitance to the clock before comparing to battery again  as  its probably more critical when using AC ..I still think the battery will be superior but I think the gap can be lessenned .

I also run separate ground wires from the  vertical filter board  direct to the transformer  and also  from the dac board  to transformer on the mk2  to  lessen contamination. The quality and sizing of the wires makes a big difference too.
      The grounding  arrangements  on the Marantz  dont  appear  to be as good as they could be  , probably for convenience . Cheers .

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2014, 07:14:46 PM »
Danny arrived with Williams just finished and much modified Marantz 94 player. It has a reclocker fitted to the output driving the Clock, word, data. Interesting it sounded good, but the improvement when we changed it to run my battery to power the clock was dramatic, amazing really. You can hear a course grainy roughness when its connected via its internal power but with just the clock attached to a battery, WoW  Smooth sophisticated classy, For some people hard to believe, but true.
Far out Steve, I didn't even know my transport was going to your place and now you are tempting me to mod my CD94 further with battery power supply. Decision....decision....nah, I'll spend my money on tapes  :P

I just noticed the clock in the CD94.Its the same clock  that I am using from Valab .This clock is an excellent value for around $50 .
I bought it based on your suggestion Brenden, so thanks again  :)

Danny,  if you are around, can you clarify what Steven means by 'reclocker' ?

I assume this is something different to the buffer inside my transport that drives the i2s outputs?
I would be surprised if it's different to your buffer Oz because that's what I asked Danny to do.
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2014, 08:08:06 PM »
I would be surprised if it's different to your buffer Oz because that's what I asked Danny to do.
Ahh, ok.  The reclocker term threw me a bit.   No worries.  So are you doing bare i2s wires from output buffer to receiver chip input socket,  or are you using cables?

Btw, you dont need a big car battery.  You should still get a good improvement with smaller batteries, which tuck away more easily.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 08:10:31 PM by ozmillsy »

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #107 on: June 25, 2014, 08:22:22 PM »
Ahh, ok.  The reclocker term threw me a bit.   No worries.  So are you doing bare i2s wires from output buffer to receiver chip input socket,  or are you using cables?

Btw, you dont need a big car battery.  You should still get a good improvement with smaller batteries, which tuck away more easily.
I've been using ICs just like yours. I can't stand the mess of bare wires. Yep, asking Danny to use battery power supply now, hopefully it can be done without too much trouble. I do have a battery powered valve preamp so I'll probably need to get a bigger battery...

Offline dannydigital

• Liked: 8
« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2014, 12:59:00 AM »
Hi everyone,

I just managed to squeeze in some online time here in Port Douglas, truly an amazing part of the world.
Thought I should straighten up some things about the work on Williams player.

The setup is one I haven't implemented before which buffers and also reclocks the I2S o/p, therefore the reason for trying it out at Steves. I wanted to make sure it functioned well without any unwanted  surprises and evaluate it's sound with at least four ears.
As Steve mentioned earlier, we did notice quite an improvement when the clock board was powered externally with the battery. This makes sense not only because it is a cleaner source of power but it also eliminates having a ground loop when powered internally. Basically the cleaner the power to the clock the lower the jitter in its pulse (edge), which when presented for reclocking can make quite a noticable outcome as it is the last active stage before the DAC.
So William a good surprise, you can have this little bonus for no extra charge, we can call it a bit of R&D. And yes I can do the external power mod for you.

Cheers to all from up north  8)

D

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #109 on: June 26, 2014, 06:01:13 AM »
Thanks Daniel. I'll get the player once you done the mod.

Cheers.

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #110 on: June 26, 2014, 05:07:13 PM »
The battery to run the clock (12Volt) was not a little better, I was amazingly better. There is just to much noise in the transport power supply.

Hi Steve, is this your battery?

I found it here: http://www.supercharge.com.au/car-batteries/supercharge-gold-plus

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: June 26, 2014, 07:59:07 PM »
This is the best sounding clock battery i have heard to date. It has body and warmth without the grain of a lead acid battery. Its the only one that outperforms the small batterys, including the best rechargables..
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 08:04:15 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #112 on: June 26, 2014, 08:19:36 PM »
This is the best sounding clock battery i have heard to date. It has body and warmth without the grain of a lead acid battery. Its the only one that outperforms the small batterys, including the best rechargables..

Looks like it's the older version of the one I found. Dammit. Don't tell me the price is going up like those NOS valves....

Found it here: http://www.autobarn.com.au/supercharge-automotive-battery-gold-mf52

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2014, 08:31:36 PM »
That's it, now do they actually have them.

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #114 on: July 12, 2014, 03:40:11 PM »
Danny arrived with Williams just finished and much modified Marantz 94 player. It has a reclocker fitted to the output driving the Clock, word, data. Interesting it sounded good, but the improvement when we changed it to run my battery to power the clock was dramatic, amazing really. You can hear a course grainy roughness when its connected via its internal power but with just the clock attached to a battery, WoW  Smooth sophisticated classy, For some people hard to believe, but true.

Okay I got my CD94 transport back from Danny Digital.

Running it straight cold with KillerDAC using just a Jaycar sealed lead acid battery (it's all I got for now), how's the sound? Well, my system never sounded this good! It feels like a veil has been lifted giving a true and honest presentation of the music with tone, texture, timing and rythym fall into place together, very coherent! And just like Steve said, grainless and sophisticated. I can't stop smiling from ear to ear. Well done Danny Digital!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline brenden

« Reply #115 on: July 12, 2014, 04:41:02 PM »
I used to use a couple of 6 volt lantern batteries(I used to get them real cheap ) on my CD94 11   to a Trichord  ,So I know the excitement you are feeling Jehuty .

There were no down sides to running a clock with batteries .Everything was better . I loved the purity ,and when you run electrostatics ,any grain or grit is very apparent .
                I also found that I could listen to more marginal sounding  CDs  with a battery powered clock .

I often read about  people criticising modding, saying that you can only listen to well recorded CDs ,and less well recorded CDs become unlistenable ,but if you reduce distortions and noise from the playback chain ,then most or all  CDs  should sound better .
     If I do a mod ,I want it to sound better across the board ,or at least do something better ,with no other down sides .
             We should all be running battery powered clocks .The Valab is an excellent value clock probably due to better regulation than the Trichords ,and it is critical .Valab  also have a higher tolerance crystal ,but I don't know if there is any advantage over the one they put into their clock .
               Next stage for me is to get hold of a zen clock once Zenelectro  is  back on board .

Any photos of the finnshed CD94 Jehuty ?

« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 04:55:17 PM by brenden »

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #116 on: July 12, 2014, 04:58:38 PM »
Will post some pictures tomorrow  :)

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #117 on: July 13, 2014, 11:45:11 AM »
Okay I got my CD94 transport back from Danny Digital.

Running it straight cold with KillerDAC using just a Jaycar sealed lead acid battery (it's all I got for now), how's the sound? Well, my system never sounded this good! It feels like a veil has been lifted giving a true and honest presentation of the music with tone, texture, timing and rythym fall into place together, very coherent! And just like Steve said, grainless and sophisticated. I can't stop smiling from ear to ear. Well done Danny Digital!  ;D ;D ;D
Now you get to enjoy your CD collection in a whole new light.

It's great when we make a big stride forward.

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #118 on: July 13, 2014, 09:05:23 PM »
Pics as promised:

Close up:

Offline brenden

« Reply #119 on: July 13, 2014, 09:42:29 PM »
Thanks Jehuty.
  I see your clock has the higher grade crystal already. Mine has the .1ppm part.

Can I ask what the RCA outputs are connected to ?