Author Topic: Mingda MC34AB questions  (Read 7068 times)

Offline donberry

• Liked: 0
Mingda MC34AB questions
« on: April 08, 2011, 10:31:55 AM »
I was going to revive an older topic, but it was suggested I start a new topic......
i just purchased a MC34AB, should be here tomorrow. I am like a little kid at xmas and have been researching the heck out of these, which led me here. Wow, the dropbox Flemo made is absolutely fantastic.
Anyway, question is, while I wait - I will be upgrading the capacitors in the near future and was curious if anyone could tell me the sizes I am going to need so I can start looking for some. I know I need 4 - 0.22uf from reading old threads, but was curious what else i am going to need ?

Also, I read about upgrading the resistors ?

ANY information you can give me is deeply appreciated. I know I am new here, but searching thru all of the MC34AB stuff I could find, the threads I read here were by far the best and that dropbox flemo made could be sold on ebay........I would buy one anyway.
Anyway, thanks for any info on this amp....

Offline mcb

• Liked: 6
Re: Mingda MC34AB questions
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 02:54:37 PM »
Hi,

I have just replied to your a PM.  Hopefully I will get back to you over the weekend.  First step is the front row of valves, particularly the little ones (can't remember their designation).

As you have noted, flemo's work is excellent (unlike my soldering).

I will also try to update the relevant thread over the weekend.

In the mean time, make sure you are real carefull when you hook-up the two power leads from the power humpty to the amp.  There was a case (not me) where the a & b leads where crossed over and the magic smoke escaped.

Have fun.

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 06:42:14 PM »
Hi Donberry,

Welcome to the forum and congrazt on your new amp, good choice!  :)

Some of us here have good experience with regard to modding the Ming Da and I'm sure they will be more than happy to help you.

Enjoy your journey and don't forget to post pics of the amp and your system if you don't mind.

Cheers,
William
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

crazikid

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 08:32:37 PM »
welcome..

good luck with your new amp. i would replace all front valves and change all power tubes to svetlana el34s

change front row caps  .. dont bother with resistors..

enjoy.. its a beast..

regular bias will ensure top sound..

Offline donberry

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 01:59:46 AM »
as mentioned, this site seemed to have the most/best info for upgrading/getting the best out of this amp, which is how I found you.
This the the amp I bought here - http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1304805398
the smaller tubes have already been rolled with telefunken and tungsol.

Bias - must say I am pretty ignorant here. I thought it was self biasing, but then I read where you need to adjust the bias. I am afraid when I get it I will have some elementary questions about this. I'll apologize ahead of time.

Also, I hate to be the new user that just comes in and gets help for his new piece of gear - I really never knew about this place before.
My gear is probably not as good as most here, but it makes me happy and is a work in progress.
I have just been trying to get my main 3 components squared away and then would have found you for sure when I started researching DAC's. Currently I am using a pair of MartinLogan SL3 (just bought a few weeks ago) and will be using a restored Pioneer Spec 2 on the woofers with the Mingda on the panels with a Conrad Johnson PV2AR that has been modified with Multicaps and the balance bypased (my first piece of tube gear which led me to the Mingda).......nothing great, but better then I thought I would have at this point. I am on a fixed income (disabled vet - peacetime warrior) so I have to upgrade in stages.

Hopefully at some point I can contribute something tho my knowledge is obviously limited compared to most here.
Oh yea, don't hold it against me that I am an American  ;D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 02:01:58 AM by donberry »

Offline donberry

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 07:33:39 AM »
got the amp today. Nothing prepares u for how big this thing is - tis huge.
I am using it as a power amp and have a problem already.
Listening to some music to test it out, with the music turned down low or even no music at all, I hear a rhythmic knocking sound coming out of the speaker. Almost sounds like a metronome....
I switched it to triode mode and it pretty much went away. If there isn't any music on, I can hear an occasional really faint knock, but it isn't anything like in ultralinear mode.....

would this be a capacitor maybe ?

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 10:57:01 AM »
got the amp today. Nothing prepares u for how big this thing is - tis huge.
I am using it as a power amp and have a problem already.
Listening to some music to test it out, with the music turned down low or even no music at all, I hear a rhythmic knocking sound coming out of the speaker. Almost sounds like a metronome....
I switched it to triode mode and it pretty much went away. If there isn't any music on, I can hear an occasional really faint knock, but it isn't anything like in ultralinear mode.....

would this be a capacitor maybe ?

to the el34's light up more with this knock? (like a indicator of a car flashing)
if a cap is leaking dc then you will get like a click noise out of the speakers
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 03:04:34 PM by kajak12 »
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline donberry

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 04:17:02 AM »
yes, - the sound is coming out of one speaker and 3 of the 4 tubes on that side have a whiteish/yellowish flash to the beat. Seems like one is brighter then the others. The 4th tube on that side does not appear to be doing that, if it is, not nearly as noticeable.

Offline mcb

• Liked: 6
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 02:17:34 PM »
I was going to revive an older topic, but it was suggested I start a new topic......
i just purchased a MC34AB, should be here tomorrow. I am like a little kid at xmas and have been researching the heck out of these, which led me here. Wow, the dropbox Flemo made is absolutely fantastic.
Anyway, question is, while I wait - I will be upgrading the capacitors in the near future and was curious if anyone could tell me the sizes I am going to need so I can start looking for some. I know I need 4 - 0.22uf from reading old threads, but was curious what else i am going to need ?

Don,

I have finally updated my previous thread.  Cap types are included there.