Author Topic: tube recommendations  (Read 4630 times)

Offline Tuyen

• Liked: 221
tube recommendations
« on: May 28, 2014, 06:55:29 PM »
Hi tube lovers,

One of my power amps use a 6SL7 and another amp uses a 12AT7.   

Any particular tubes I should look out for?  Does $ on ebay usually dictate how good they are?

I'm currently using a Mullard ECC35 brown base for the 6SL7    and  a Sylvania triple mica 12AT7 black plates.

Can you guys recommend me other tubes I should look out for to try?     I was thinking some GE/RCA redbase 5691   and Amperex Bugle Boy 12AT7. 

cheers!

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
Re: tube recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 07:16:33 PM »
GE/RCA redbase 5691 are very good tubes, rich, full, involving, but a little ragged, great for computer audio transports. Brimars 6SL7s and 6SN7s are the opposite, Sweet pretty clean smooth. The Tunsol 6SU7 are very very good indeed, a high grade 6SL7.  Mullard ecc35 are good, in a clean you are there, stark, clinical, way. But better is the Mullard branded, Made in Holland ECC33, less gain and therefore more relaxed.  Anyway I have them all here, ring me. As for 12At7, I have very tasty ones here, including the Hollands.

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 10:41:16 PM »
GE/RCA redbase 5691 are very good tubes, rich, full, involving, but a little ragged, great for computer audio transports. Brimars 6SL7s and 6SN7s are the opposite, Sweet pretty clean smooth. The Tunsol 6SU7 are very very good indeed, a high grade 6SL7.  Mullard ecc35 are good, in a clean you are there, stark, clinical, way. But better is the Mullard branded, Made in Holland ECC33, less gain and therefore more relaxed.  Anyway I have them all here, ring me. As for 12At7, I have very tasty ones here, including the Hollands.
Unless your a sponsor selling of goods is prohibited on this site please donate to kajak12 RETIREMENT FUND
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 03:00:58 PM »
Unless your a sponsor selling of goods is prohibited on this site please donate to kajak12 RETIREMENT FUND

Or V8 fund  8)
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.