Author Topic: Marantz 65 mkII ... my first project  (Read 3237 times)

Offline davewantsmoore

• Liked: 0
Marantz 65 mkII ... my first project
« on: April 15, 2011, 11:05:05 AM »
I just purchased a CD65 mkII as a foray into modding and DIY audio.   (It's a 1541A, and NOS-able)

I've been reading and watching from the sidelines for years, and now it's time to have a go at something on the cheap....   My goal is to get this player to be as good as or better than my (fairly basic) main stereo system.

First step.  Learn to solder better  ;-)

I reckon you'll see me around here asking some rather noobish questions, re: TDA1541, power supplies, tubes, etc....  hope you don't mind  :-p

Replace caps
Individual power to critical areas
NOS mod
New output stage
Better clock

It's rather daunting for a noob, but I'm excited.
Wheeee!

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
Re: Marantz 65 mkII ... my first project
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 03:19:06 PM »
I just purchased a CD65 mkII as a foray into modding and DIY audio.   (It's a 1541A, and NOS-able)

I've been reading and watching from the sidelines for years, and now it's time to have a go at something on the cheap....   My goal is to get this player to be as good as or better than my (fairly basic) main stereo system.

First step.  Learn to solder better  ;-)

I reckon you'll see me around here asking some rather noobish questions, re: TDA1541, power supplies, tubes, etc....  hope you don't mind  :-p

Replace caps
Individual power to critical areas
NOS mod
New output stage
Better clock

It's rather daunting for a noob, but I'm excited.
Wheeee!
The first thing to replace is some of the electrolytics. This is a problem because some of the ones i like, are not made anymore. Sanyo oscon SG series. You have to listen to your unit, and decide what you need sound wise, then pick the parts to suit, and to do that you need to know the sound colouration of these parts, and then pick ones with the right colourations. Show a series of close up pictures of the internals of this player (boards)