Tech Corner > Capacitors

Dead Dueland CAST caps

(1/4) > >>

skc:
I have recently moved to Melbourne, and despite the packaging and express instruction, it seems one of my monoblocs is not very healthy. Initially I suspected there was likely some sort of mechanical damage, but then on opening the amp up, I noticed that one of .47 630v Cast signal caps seems to be VERY oily.

I can't find any loose connections, and there is no other evidence of anything in the amp not being right. I have swamped the amp out and everything sounds fine; I have swapped the valves between amps and the same amp is still the issue.

Is this oily cap the likely culprit?

hedalfa:
When you say oily, there is oil on the outside of the cap??

Pixelplay:
I have a CAST CU .1 that is leaking and have contacted Duelund. The answer from them was to return it to parts connexion for a replacement. So far it has not failed though.

Cheers
Greg

stevenvalve:
I have 4 / 0.47 cast Duelunds sitting on a table, and a few weeks ago I noticed one has oil around the leads, I resealed it, but if it was not seen and all the oil leaked out unseen inside the amp That could be a problem, Leaking a little oil will not stop it working. They will probably work with no oil, it is i think mainly a dielectric but most likely will not sound as good.

skc:

--- Quote from: hedalfa on June 10, 2014, 12:27:02 PM ---When you say oily, there is oil on the outside of the cap??

--- End quote ---

Yeah, there is oil all over the outside of the cap, and even a little oil on the bottom plate of the amp itself. It has definately stopped working through.

Thanks guys.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version