General HIFI > Transports

modifying Marantz Wadia transports

(1/6) > >>

stevenvalve:
Anyone with a Wadia 3200, Maratz 95, Marantz CD12, Marantz 94, or Marantz mark 2 will be interested in these modifications. First i need to say the Wadia is a Marantz made transport and once modified is the best transport i have ever heard. This modified wadia 3200 is so good it hard to believe it can be improved, in all the areas that matter it is just superb. So real natural and organic its amazing, I will show you here, how to mod it, and most importantly what parts to use. Standard they are very good transports but can be a little white, bright, rough, and course,  but with these mods it will be propelled into the magical. It is so important to use the exact combination of parts i have used here, because these components colouration's are perfect to fix the Wadia and Marantz transports problem's, First you need to get some Sanyo oscons 440 uf SG, remember i said SG not SP (Marantz transports use 47uf) electrolytic capacitors, I think there is about 6 of these, the flavour is just perfect for this player, Rich natural organic and most important they are not bright, Then you need the black Elna for audio compact electrolytic with the words (for Audio) printed on them, try to get the made in Japan caps if possible, again the flavor is just right. Now 1 Elna Simic 2. You can see in the pictures some of the bigger ones will not fit so just lay them down on a thin layer of Blue-tack and run flying leads. You can work out from the pictures where to put them. Is there a better transport out there (probably) but this sounds so good, does it matter. The modified battery powered clock you can see in the picture is another story.

stevenvalve:
I have always said, my philosophy is less is more. The power board (Pictured) on my Wadia allows me to use the electronic button at the front to switch it on and off.  Just recently it stoped working, I could no longer switch on, and to make it matters worse I had people coming for a session, so I bypassed the board completely and ran the power straight from the mains. After all I can fix it later, I had always thought, that little board could not affect the sound too much. Well it did, so much more natural with it gone. As we know everything affects the outcome.  Does it ever end.

brenden:
You aren't using Duelunds as bypass caps for the clock are you Steve ?   Pretty exotic .

Agree with what you have said ,the Elna for audio caps are great ,as are the older Elna for Hi Fi,and have also added the big Stargets to the list  .  Very hard to get Japanese ones now .Are the Oscons 470uf or 440  ?  I will be putting some in my 94 soon ,but don't have any SG .Where is the best place to get the SG  ?

stevenvalve:

--- Quote from: brenden on July 24, 2014, 10:33:33 PM ---You aren't using Duelunds as bypass caps for the clock are you Steve ?   Pretty exotic .

Agree with what you have said ,the Elna for audio caps are great ,as are the older Elna for Hi Fi,and have also added the big Stargets to the list  .  Very hard to get Japanese ones now .Are the Oscons 470uf or 440  ?  I will be putting some in my 94 soon ,but don't have any SG .Where is the best place to get the SG  ?

--- End quote ---
Yes I think (Oscons SG 470uf).   Where is the best place to get the SG.......  Well.. they are extinct. You have to be lucky on the net.

stevenvalve:
You can see here, the female plug I attached on this transport is a furutech.  I put small copper rods into the 3 screw holes then soldered to the rods in a staggered fashion so its easy to join multiple wires.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version