Author Topic: Running Lenehan Audio speakers with low powered SET amps  (Read 17320 times)

Offline bhobba

• Liked: 9
Re: Running Lenehan Audio speakers with low powered SET amps
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 09:15:57 AM »
After listening to the ML-3's powered by a 8W SET amp I would definitely not recommend the combo.  Lots of very audible distortion at even moderate SPL's as there is not enough head room for dynamically demanding passages.

Will check it out anyway with the crossover tweak Mike is working on for low powered amps.  However the 15W Leben drives them beautifully - but that amp has good drive.  The SET I want to use doesn't - which is not a good sign.

Thanks
Bill

Offline davewantsmoore

• Liked: 0
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2011, 12:04:29 PM »
Watts is not really the issue here ... if you don't have enough, you won't be able to make enough noise, simple.   You seem like me, and only listen at reasonably low levels, so only a handful of watts might not be a deal breaker.

The key to whether it will make nice sound is the impedance of the amplifier VS the impedance curve of the speaker.   If the amp and speaker impedance values aren't suitable for each other, you will have a modified frequency response, and reduced ability for the amplifier to stop the speaker (particularly around Fs).

Text books throw numbers around like ideally having a factor of 10 between amplifier output impedance and speaker impedance .... although depending on what you're doing (fullrange drivers, active speaker, etc, etc.) then these 'negatives' might not be such a big deal if you have lower.

If you're "having an amp made", then I'd strongly suggest getting it designed to the lowest output impedance practical....   Depending on the impedance curve of the ML3 of course, although BR speakers IME usually show the biggest benefit from good amp/speaker coupling.

Offline bhobba

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2011, 08:26:42 PM »
I have tried the Leben 15W.  Sounds bloody fantastic on the ML3's (fully up there with the Mac 501's - with the midrange perhaps even better) but Mike thinks it can mate better by a tweak to the ML3's crossover.  I have been told by John Darko though who has the SET that was made for me its drive is not that good and may have trouble with the ML3's.  I guess we will find out.

Thanks
Bill

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2011, 08:42:26 PM »
I have tried the Leben 15W.  Sounds bloody fantastic on the ML3's (fully up there with the Mac 501's - with the midrange perhaps even better) but Mike thinks it can mate better by a tweak to the ML3's crossover.  I have been told by John Darko though who has the SET that was made for me its drive is not that good and may have trouble with the ML3's.  I guess we will find out.

Thanks
Bill
what about the depth of the laben against the 501 macs?(501 macs have no depth)
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline bhobba

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2011, 09:57:48 AM »

Hi Mario

It had good depth - but I have to say I never really noticed the bad depth of th Mac's.

Thanks
Bill

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2011, 07:48:02 PM »

Hi Mario

It had good depth - but I have to say I never really noticed the bad depth of th Mac's.

Thanks
Bill
i will tell you why bill you haven't heard better so its understandable that you dont know
while mike has his speakers so close to the wall(i have my ml1's 1.5 from rear wall) for depth

still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline bhobba

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2011, 08:26:18 PM »
i will tell you why bill you haven't heard better so its understandable that you dont know while mike has his speakers so close to the wall(i have my ml1's 1.5 from rear wall) for depth

You may be right.  I have mine about that distance from the wall so I don't really have the issue.

Thanks
Bill

Offline bhobba

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2011, 12:49:57 AM »
As some of you may know I recently got a Trafomatic Experience Two from John Darko. I got it for some ML1's I will be using as my computer speakers where my ears will be really close to the speakers so its 8w will be fine. Since I haven't got those speakers yet I tried it on some ML3's. This is one fine amp and as John Darko says it's really feisty. Everyone was surprised how well it it drove them. We had it at volumes comparable to what was being used with Mac 501's - way above what I would have them at and it did sound a bit stretched but still really lovely. I have no doubt at the levels I listen at (it is quite a bit lower than that) it won't be stretched and probably will be better again. Anyway since I haven't got my computer speakers yet its no use taking it back to my place so if you are down Lenehan Audio way you can pop in and have a listen. Only thing is don't wind the wick up.

Will report further once it is permanently in my system.

Thanks
Bill

Offline Hens

• Liked: 0
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2011, 02:26:16 AM »
you need to try yourself a kdac bill you really do.

Offline bhobba

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2011, 06:59:08 PM »
Hi Guys

Heard the Traformatic with a John Kenny I2S PDX and ML3 Referencs.  Here is what one guy said:
'Then a Trafomatic 8W SET valve amp got a chance to play, and offered up a Diana Krall live recording with absolutely stunning quality. You wouldn't want to throw anything too dynamic at it, but oh my god the HiFace/PDX/Trafomatic/ML3 combination did something magic together.'

The Traformatic will now be well an truly used in my main system.

SET's can definitely work with ML3's.

Thanks
Bill