Author Topic: Hemiolia (new label)  (Read 5489 times)

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
Hemiolia (new label)
« on: August 05, 2014, 09:27:09 PM »
A fellow enthusiast referred me to this new Italian music label, producing R2R master tapes.

http://www.hemioliarecords.com/index.php

Not exactly affordable,  but there are bugger all (R2R) labels around producing any rock.   And I just love my rock !!     Jazz and classical chamber music only gets me so far,  it's not enough,  I yearn for other genres.   

So,  I took the plunge and ordered their only rock title.   This one,,,,,

http://www.hemioliarecords.com/index.php?id_product=13&controller=product&id_lang=2

A tribute to Jimi Hendrix.

I have just finished listening to it.     

Wow,  :o , just wow !!    The SQ is amazing !!!   

The production quality of the tape, and associated booklet is second to none.   A nice touch is the signatures of the artists on the inside cover of the tape box,   hand written in big black marker.   

Not cheap.  Postage was 50 euros, on top of the price of the tape.     But this is a new reference for me, and a tape I will treasure.

Highly recommended for lovers of tape, and lovers of rock.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 09:29:56 PM by ozmillsy »
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline ozmillsy

Re: Hemiolia (new label)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 10:54:37 PM »
Browsing through the Hemiolia site,  I found this (below),  it struck a chord with me.    This write up from a musician speaks volumes about the current methods of recording,  and the purity of the analog recording the way it used to be done.   Have a brief read.

Dear listeners, as I am writing these lines I find myself in front of a “moka” filled with coffee and my computer that is playing the pieces we recently recorded. There is everything you need to relax, let yourself go, intercept thoughts mixed with sudden emotions generated by the music itself.

Have you ever, in the course of your life, lived fortuitous situations that coincide with your wishes, perhaps perceived long before and placed into the drawer of memory? I have.

Let me explain: I belong, because of my age, to a generation of musicians who have grown up with digital technology. When I work in the recording studio, I am connected to and controlled by a sound engineer and a computer, and they become my "guardian angels"; when I make a mistake, a false note, a wrong note, I hear a reassuring and seraphic voice come from the headset that says "Be calm, just redo that note and I’ll paste it to the rest."

I assure you, my friends, that in this way the situation becomes comfortable and the psychological pressure given by the concern of making a mistake, common to many of us, becomes lessened. But are we sure that this is the correct direction, or rather the right intention, or even better the ideal mental condition for a record? I believe that the advantages of digital recording are represented by many other aspects, not just the ability to put a patch on the mistakes of us absent-minded musicians!

However, there is a small detail not to be underestimated: I play jazz and like all the musicians who are familiar with this language, I grew up listening to and studying disks of many famous musicians, whose works span a historical period that goes from the 30s to the mid-70s. Well, all this beautiful music, that has thrilled and moved me so much, was recorded with analog technology.

At the time, during my first listenings, without asking myself anything about recording technologies, a kind of sound was forming in my mind that was present and common in several disks, so well-defined and distinctive as to call it - during the chats between colleagues and fans - "the sound of jazz”. Hence, one of my greatest wishes: " I would so much like to record an album that has that sound! "

About a month ago, I met Claudio who proposed a hypothetical analog recording. You can imagine what I felt!

A few days later he led me into the office of Hemiolia and showed me the machines for recording and production, then he took me into the listening room – yes, exactly, a room designed and used solely for listening to music (perhaps for many of you fans and insiders this is normal, but it was not for me) and let ​​me listen to recordings made by these means. My enthusiasm skyrocketed, I ran home to prepare a repertoire that could be recorded on the glorious tapes! A few days later, the pieces were ready and I asked two extraordinary musicians, Claudio Filippini and Fabio D'Isanto to record them with me.

During the recording session, I felt a different feeling from the usual one which is normally perceived in a studio, there was great mental concentration mixed with pure energy. I repeated to myself: "Concentrate and relax, play everything that comes to mind and to hell with wrong notes, nothing is going to be corrected, but at least it's all true!" Just like that, it was all true, small imperfections were no longer important, the things that mattered were the impression, the whole, the emotion and the healthy tension that gives life to the piece, which enhances the concept of ensemble music and at the same time makes the solos and the more "individual" parts absolutely sincere. The choice of the repertoire, designed in agreement with Claudio and Giorgio, fell on some of my more or less recent compositions and a list of standard jazz classics. Dear listener, I must admit that for me this was a wonderful experience, a wish come true, as well as the possibility of being able to try and especially to immerse myself into the world of all those great musicians who have enlightened my musical journey. At this very moment, from my computer, I'm listening to Freddie Freeloader ... My God ... this is the sound of jazz !

Enjoy your listening !

Quote taken from here,,,,,,

http://www.hemioliarecords.com/index.php?id_product=43&controller=product&id_lang=2
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 11:00:10 PM by ozmillsy »

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 11:32:30 AM »
This is a good conversation,  worthy of it's own thread.  I will spawn off a thread in another section to ensure it gets the right visibility by guests to the forum.

Will do that shortly.   

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 10:37:25 PM »
Moved ADC/DAC related posts to this thread:> http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php/topic,2820.msg21084.html#new

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 09:10:08 PM »
Wow wow wow, thanks for the link Oz, this has made my day.  I am now determined to save enough pennies to buy at least 3 titles, the Jazz and Rock demo snippets filled me with audio pleasure................nice find indeed!
V
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 11:35:48 AM »
Cool.   When I get a chance to record my tribut to Hendrix tape, I'll share a short sample.   

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 07:33:53 PM by ozmillsy »