Author Topic: V-Cap CuTF Copper Foil Teflon Film Audio Capacitors  (Read 17766 times)

tuyen

V-Cap CuTF Copper Foil Teflon Film Audio Capacitors
« on: April 28, 2011, 01:20:08 PM »
http://www.v-cap.com/copper-teflon-capacitors.php

Anyone with any experience with these?   Thinking of getting a pair of 0.47uF to use as output coupling of the DAC.  The ampohms alum foil paper in oil ones I was using seem to be a bit 'bloomy' and lacked a bit of openess and extreme micro-detail/resolution. Only really noticed this after I tried replacing them with some spare AudioNote copper mylars I had lying around.  From personal diy modder's reviews I read online, these CuTFs are 'it'!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 01:29:15 PM by tuyen »

tuyen

Re: V-Cap CuTF Copper Foil Teflon Film Audio Capacitors
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 02:29:18 PM »
After playing with the Coupling Capacitor Calculator, it seems I am after a cap of around 0.68-1uF cap which will be optimal for my load impedance of 100kOhm (~25hz freq response).

Hence, may hold off on the idea of v-caps as their biggest value is 0.47uF.  There is word that they will release up to 1uF versions one day though! :)

Offline audiophool

• Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 03:34:22 PM »
One of the members on diyparadise used these and then replaced them with interstage transformers.
The Monica DAC has DC offset on the output that has to be blocked, so he had to use air gapped traffos.
Don't know if that is an issue for you (DC blocking).
Same fellow made his own resistors for his preamp and is now on a mission of ditching RCA connectors completely.

Offline gamve

• Liked: 219
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 04:24:42 PM »
Hi Tuyen,
The Vcaps sound very good in my preamp. Pricey but worth a try

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 05:01:00 PM »
Gamve, Vcaps in the Truth pre?  :o  Copper teflon?

Edit: Sorry to the OP, to keep this on topic, I did ask Steven about this Vcap a while ago and probably this cap is not his cup of tea because it takes a very long time to burn in (approx. 1000 hours from what I read). Good caps like Duelund sounds good already brand new and only keeps getting better afterwards.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 05:14:26 PM by Jehuty »
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline gamve

• Liked: 219
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 05:38:39 PM »
No The Vcaps are in my active pre, see http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php?topic=145.0

Offline ozcal

• Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 08:00:12 PM »
T , apparently Mick Maloney tried the Vcaps in his Supratek pre's due to customer demand but went back to the Auricaps as the sound was a bit too hi-fi in his designs.
Listening with my ears :)

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 08:59:23 PM »
T , apparently Mick Maloney tried the Vcaps in his Supratek pre's due to customer demand but went back to the Auricaps as the sound was a bit too hi-fi in his designs.
maybe he used the old v caps the copper version is new to the market.
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline ozcal

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 08:08:02 PM »
More than likely the case Mario as the 6 moons review I read where the comments were made is more than a few yrs old now.
Listening with my ears :)

Offline rawl99

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 11:26:38 PM »

Mario,

We did a bit of a comparison between these new ones and the VSFs a few weeks ago (O/p caps in my twiddled DAC).  The teflons had approx 500 hrs burn-in on them.  I would suggest the comment about them being hi-fi like sounding is pretty accurate.  Compared with, say, Auricaps they are clearly more neutral in their presentation but produce that very 'clean' sound you and I love so much!!
When we put the duelunds back in it was no contest.  The natural texture, dimension and timbral balance jumped right out.  I turned around to Drew and said: 'Look, the V-caps are very good compared with most caps I have heard but the duelunds just crap on them"  The music just sounded 'right' again with the Duelunds back in.
Cheers

Craigy

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 12:54:11 AM »

Mario,

We did a bit of a comparison between these new ones and the VSFs a few weeks ago (O/p caps in my twiddled DAC).  The teflons had approx 500 hrs burn-in on them.  I would suggest the comment about them being hi-fi like sounding is pretty accurate.  Compared with, say, Auricaps they are clearly more neutral in their presentation but produce that very 'clean' sound you and I love so much!!
When we put the duelunds back in it was no contest.  The natural texture, dimension and timbral balance jumped right out.  I turned around to Drew and said: 'Look, the V-caps are very good compared with most caps I have heard but the duelunds just crap on them"  The music just sounded 'right' again with the Duelunds back in.
Cheers

Craigy
The V-caps are over rated, over priced, cold analytical, artificial, anaemic things.  A cardboard cutout of real music. Very similar to mundorf caps in sound. But at least mundorf caps are cheap.  Keep away from V-caps. If you like HIFI sounding systems, buy them, if not run a mile. Now do you what to know what i really think.   

Offline audiophool

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 05:22:28 AM »
Now do you what to know what i really think.  
P'raps not - wouldn't like you to get too upset -
I'm just guessing here, but you prolly don't like them much  :-\
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 05:24:06 AM by audiophool »

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 08:43:32 AM »

Mario,

Cheers

Craigy
The V-caps are over rated, over priced, cold analytical, artificial, anaemic things.  A cardboard cutout of real music. Very similar to mundorf caps in sound. But at least mundorf caps are cheap.  Keep away from V-caps. If you like HIFI sounding systems, buy them, if not run a mile. Now do you what to know what i really think.   

Haha - too funny :)

Steve which V caps did you try?

FWIW lucky they are not as good - more money again to spend !!!!

Z

Offline Erik van Voorst

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 03:58:19 AM »
I truly hate to differ but I think it is near impossible to judge a seriously build cap..good or bad sounding.

I see an implementation of a cap as "seasoning" okay I agree it has to be built immaculate with prestine materials with a vision...but after that for me the "cooking" starts....

In a  "in your face"  set-up with the female singer on your lap whispering in your ear you probably not want a Teflon (V-cap) based cap but eg. copper (duelund would be magic  :-X ) to get her voice as...ahum...(to be filled out yourself) as possible....

On the other hand if your system is (too) laid back a V-cap can do his work prestine....and can be the better choice.....

I use both mentioned caps in my system......cooking/buggering .......my own subjective way... ;D

I agree the stuff is pretty expensive......the richer you are the less you find it overpriced......but the good part is that they sell it to us DIY lot....... ;)

Offline myself

• Liked: 0
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 01:19:18 PM »
on vcap cutf, i have bought a total of:

1) 12 x 0.01uF
2) 12 x 0.22uF (lower voltage)

i use them as by-bass...gradually, i put them on transport, dac, pre-amp, mono-block, cross-over, power-plant

a) it helps a lot on making the sound to be closer to the real sound
b) i can hear more details after putting them on
c) the sound seemed slightly hi-fi initially BUT it keeps improving untill the sounds were quite natural(over a few months of use)...actually, when i invited friends to come to listen, no one commented a "cold" or hi-fi sound

before i put in the v-cap cutf, my hifi(each component) is heavily loaded with
Blackgate,
Mcap silver/goldsilver/goldsilver in oil,
Ampohm copper/polyster/aluminun/tin in oil and in wax, 
Musicap

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 10:36:24 PM »
on vcap cutf, i have bought a total of:

1) 12 x 0.01uF
2) 12 x 0.22uF (lower voltage)

i use them as by-bass...gradually, i put them on transport, dac, pre-amp, mono-block, cross-over, power-plant

a) it helps a lot on making the sound to be closer to the real sound
b) i can hear more details after putting them on
c) the sound seemed slightly hi-fi initially BUT it keeps improving untill the sounds were quite natural(over a few months of use)...actually, when i invited friends to come to listen, no one commented a "cold" or hi-fi sound

before i put in the v-cap cutf, my hifi(each component) is heavily loaded with
Blackgate,
Mcap silver/goldsilver/goldsilver in oil,
Ampohm copper/polyster/aluminun/tin in oil and in wax, 
Musicap
Mr.myself i feel happy for you using vcaps all you need now is to try duelunds  :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 11:14:40 PM »
Especially the new CAST...the black blocks.

Disclosure: pics are proprietary of Jimmy Auw.
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline myself

• Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2011, 07:50:24 PM »
Mr.myself i feel happy for you using vcaps all you need now is to try duelunds  :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

i followed your advise and finally face the music and bought duelunds...i bought both the chocolate and mooncake

well, duelunds beat the V-cap CuTF hands down :P

i have upgraded my cross-over, poweramp, pre-amp, dac with mostly mooncake and some chocolate...i will be getting more mooncake to add

comparing to duelunds, i think V-cap CuTF's strength is alot cheaper and easier to install 

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 03:03:11 AM »
Mr.myself i feel happy for you using vcaps all you need now is to try duelunds  :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

i followed your advise and finally face the music and bought duelunds...i bought both the chocolate and mooncake

well, duelunds beat the V-cap CuTF hands down :P

i have upgraded my cross-over, poweramp, pre-amp, dac with mostly mooncake and some chocolate...i will be getting more mooncake to add

comparing to duelunds, i think V-cap CuTF's strength is alot cheaper and easier to install  

What is this, mooncake and some chocolate... Sounds tasty.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 03:05:07 AM by stevenvalve »

Offline data

• Liked: 24
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 10:36:30 PM »
Chocolate and Mooncake, Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm................. tasty alright.