Author Topic: ClarityCap MR Series Film Capacitors  (Read 11890 times)

tuyen

ClarityCap MR Series Film Capacitors
« on: April 28, 2011, 01:28:24 PM »
Anyone have any experience with these caps?

Interesting online reviews from 'cap-rollers'.

eg. http://audioaficionado.org/isolation-tips-tweaks/786-any-cap-rollers-here-claritycap-mr-vs-duelund.html

Clarity MR's have excellent tonality, dynamics, transparency, and have the largest soundstage out of any other cap I've tried, by far. They trump Duelund VSF's in every way but tonality. I've already spoken to Tony Gee and am looking for another opinion of VSF's vs CAST and/or CAST vs Clarity MR's.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0411/capacitor3.htm

Whatever they did performed some major transformation to the sound, as the MR sounds nothing like SA, sounding far more extended, neutral, dynamic, and yes, resolved. As far as frequency extension, there is nothing to fault here, as both top and bottom go as high and low as can be desired; however, what’s even more impressive is how all the ranges in between seem coherent, finely-textured, and natural, with nothing sticking out like a sore thumb. I kept thinking how smooth everything sounds while presenting a high degree of detail resolution across the frequency range, as good as a polypropylene cap gets including the exotic ones from Mundorf, etc.

Another benefit of this smooth precision seems to be outstanding imaging and separation within the soundstage, which is filled with air and “space”. No smudging and blending together of instruments into blobs, which can happen with less precise caps. These characteristics enable the MR to sound like the proverbial “no cap” better than most, if not all, polypropylene caps I have tested. In fact, the MR sounds less colored than quite a few exotics, including some Teflons, PIO’s, polystyrene, etc. There is a downside to this neutrality, however, as the MR may not be the cap to shave off some rough edges from a bright source, plump up the low-midrange of that lean amp, or add extra “wetness” to that dry solid-state system. But if your system is reasonably neutral and resolute and if you don’t want to “hear the cap” at a reasonable price, then the ClarityCap MR just may be the cap you have been waiting for.

Offline omodo

• Liked: 104
  • Green tinted glow
Re: ClarityCap MR Series Film Capacitors
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 10:43:38 PM »
been using these for a while (think I've even mentioned them on here before)

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 11:55:07 PM »
been using these for a while (think I've even mentioned them on here before)
http://www.jantzen-audio.com/html/caps-silver-z-cap.html
ever tried the above omodo

looking for some 1uf 600v+ caps for mingda (flemos) budget is very tight
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline omodo

• Liked: 104
  • Green tinted glow
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 09:48:12 AM »
not tried them but another option could be the ClarityCap ESA series, about USD 10 in that value (USD 45 for MR)

Offline Tuyen

• Liked: 221
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 11:16:05 PM »
Installed a pair of 3.9uF ClarityCap MR into an EMIA phonostage.

They replaced a pair of vintage russian 4uF oil filled output caps.     Also at the same time replaced the signal wiring from multistranded copper with solid core silver.

Owner's initial observations:
the  mods you did to the EMIA phono sound sensational from the very first  moment!  There is  a lot more transparency  and palpability to the sound.  There is more high and low extension  with the bass now officially being in the "gut thumping" class. WOW!   Overall there  is a heap more information coming through with more air around instruments  - sounds like a veil has been lifted. Dynamics have improved by a decent margin  as has speed of response. 

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 11:47:11 PM »
How do you know, then you do two things at once,  silver has the attributes they mention, but also a down side.

Offline Tuyen

• Liked: 221
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 11:57:10 PM »
Simple answer is I don't!  ;D

I was just told if I could help improve the clarity, extension and 'speed' of the sound.  As I already knew what the EMIA sounded like and what the owner is after, so I recommended the ClarityCap MR and at the same time decided to replace the signal wiring.   Kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak!       

From my experience (as limited as it is), I don't think I would be able to recommend using multistrand copper wire in low level signal paths.   At least use teflon solid core copper (cat5/6)...