Author Topic: Interpreting tube measurements?  (Read 13964 times)

Offline data

• Liked: 24
Re: Interpreting tube measurements?
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2014, 04:35:05 PM »
Steve was extra nice, as he sent me both gray and black plates to try out  8)

Trying out the grays first, impressions to follow

Offline data

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2014, 06:17:56 PM »
Hmm...taking a brake till the winds die down, as I'm getting static shocks when I touch the turntable controls every time I need to flip a record  >:(

Nothing new for a day like today.

Well, the gray plate RCA's have a fuller more weightier presentation than the MELZ metel base tubes. More layers are evident, and piano hammer strikes on the strings a more natural sounding.

IF I classed the common Russians as "Fair" (they amplify sounds), I would class the MELZ tubes as "Good", but the gray plate RCA's step up to "Very Good". They add a more emotive quality.

I was afraid it was going to play out like this, and have yet to give the black plates a run  :D

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2014, 08:26:02 PM »
Static charge is a real PITA.  Do you have carpets fitted in the same room?  If so lift them and place conductive tape onto the underside and then drain it to a separate earth stake, that should dissipate the electrical build up and make your equipment last longer.  Pesky IC's do not like having static shorts put across their terminals and could result in failure later.

A friend of mine had the same issues with his system, the earth drain worked dandy and he is no longer in fear of touching the volume control etc.

Keeping the air moist in the room also helps but synthetic carpets coupled with AC which dries the air all adds to the static build up, your equipment is referenced to earth and hey presto, a blue spark leaps form your finger when going near the controls.  Vinyl is particularly susceptible to static build up which attracts dust and other crap to it like a magnet.  The 'zerostat pistol' works well to counter the build up, do you have one?

Good to hear Buddha sorted you with some tasty valves
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline data

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2014, 08:41:09 PM »
Thanks for the tips :)

Although i can't do jack on the carpets (rental), when you say "Pesky IC's" do you mean integrated circuits? if so I only have some in the DD table as everything else is tubes.

Everything was shocking me today, sliding doors, and the car! the damn car! is the worst offender, had to get some fuel and was so paranoid about static when i was at the pumps  :(

Yeah, Steve's great and very generous in allowing me to try these, and I am listening to the black plates now, and while I was unsure I would hear a difference between them and the grays, they are again a bit better.............damn it! Holy Cole is a touch more seductive and i like it......will have to save for some of those  8)
Ricky Lee now...

« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 09:07:22 PM by data »

Offline data

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2014, 10:32:02 PM »
I'm not sure if I have it right, but these black plates seem to be maybe quieter? they sound a little more refined and sweeter than the grays.

Sorry, thinking out loud as usual.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2014, 01:10:19 AM »
Some feel the RCA 5691s black plates have a richer, darker, blacker sound, and very good timbre.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 01:12:02 AM by stevenvalve »

Offline data

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2014, 08:47:47 AM »
Sometimes I think I'm a little terminology impaired  ;)

My use of the term "refined" could mean a few things when I think of it, but I get the richer, blacker and more textured :)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 09:04:06 AM by data »

Offline data

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2014, 11:42:45 AM »
I still have maybe only 30 hours on the MELZ, so will pop them back in and compare after the weekend.

It's been very interesting and fun so far.

Edit: Ah, no need to compare anymore, these RCAs are just better sounding  :D
Will be sending back during the week, but now know these will lift things to a better level in my system, when i can get some.

I have really appreciated being able to try them  8)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 09:31:49 AM by data »