Author Topic: Internal Speaker Wire  (Read 7957 times)

Offline skc

• Liked: 19
Internal Speaker Wire
« on: September 20, 2014, 07:20:57 PM »
I have started to loom around for suitable wire for a large open baffle speaker project. Found this stuff and wondered what folks think it might be like for internal speaker wire?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NOS-vintage-cotton-ins-18-GA-copper-enamel-magnet-wire-edison-tesla-motor-dynamo-/271607269467?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3f3d0e085b

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
Re: Internal Speaker Wire
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 10:02:32 AM »
18 gauge is 1.02mm diameter - pretty thick

Offline skc

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 07:59:56 PM »
Is that an issue?

Offline gamve

• Liked: 219
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 08:32:36 PM »
first prize to the first person who describes the sound as thick, slow and heavy with no inner details (stirs pot) :)

Offline skc

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 08:48:54 PM »
I am happy to learn; what do you folks recommend for use as statement internal speaker wire?

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 11:04:17 AM »
I have started to loom around for suitable wire for a large open baffle speaker project. Found this stuff and wondered what folks think it might be like for internal speaker wire?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NOS-vintage-cotton-ins-18-GA-copper-enamel-magnet-wire-edison-tesla-motor-dynamo-/271607269467?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3f3d0e085b
No, keep away from this, From my experience this stuff does not sound good.......18 GA copper enamel magnet wire.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 11:06:04 AM by stevenvalve »

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 01:04:30 PM »
:) Not easy to just say no it will not be any good without having any experience of it.  All cables make a difference, some more than others.  At the end of the day it's what you like.  I would suggest some ribbon cables as being a good starting point but these are not cheap.  What is the budget and accompanying eqp?  How long will the cables be?  Are they for full range use or just Bass?
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline skc

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 09:15:49 PM »
I'm not constrained by budget luckily. I am using Kondo silver for the speaker cables, and did consider buying some more with the "internal" wiring of the speakers. Decided to try some copper as a starting point though, so if needed I could tune with Kondo silver later. In the first instance, I wondered where to start with high quality copper.

Offline vitavoxdude

• Caring and sharing
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 10:24:01 PM »
:( I should have read your email more closely, you did after all say 'statement wire' and now you are saying you have no budget constraints, you really need to state the rest of the system rather than just tease.  With no budget constraints you will find lot's of dealers wanting to fleece you of your cash.

Kondo silver will be a bit special. What are you unhappy with about your music replay system??????????:o
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline skc

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 10:31:18 PM »
I'm not really happy with anything at the moment; well other than the room which has a nasty hump at 100 to 300hz which needs treatment. I am chasing wire for a new project though so I'm after a something I can to rely on as being a known neutral performer.

Offline ochremoon

• Liked: 8
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 02:02:48 PM »
What about Lenehan's ribbontek?

Offline vitavoxdude

• Caring and sharing
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 03:21:47 PM »
I'm not really happy with anything at the moment; well other than the room which has a nasty hump at 100 to 300hz which needs treatment. I am chasing wire for a new project though so I'm after a something I can to rely on as being a known neutral performer.

If you are using open baffles and have an issue with 100 to 300 hz then clearly the room is the problem so swapping speaker cables will not overcome this issue.  You need to be familiar with the proper positioning of your speakers within your room the information for which is available on the web. Treatment for 100 to 300hz is going to be fairly major making large changes to interior decor.

As you have chosen not to say what equipment you are using no one can actually help you and as for suggesting speaker cables, well to me it sounds like a really ill informed question.  Neutral Cables, there are plenty, but some are only good for short distances so just like going to the doctor and saying I have a pain and then not telling him / her where it is you are not leading us well enough so as to be informed; hardly surprising there are not many replies to this, errrr question!

Offline skc

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 07:19:35 AM »
Sorry, but I am not after speaker cables to run from the amps to the speakers. I am looking for internal hookup wire as the open baffle drivers are wired together and there is a single capacitor for the tweeter.

Offline Tuyen

• Liked: 221
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 12:51:30 PM »
hey skc,

what did you end up using?      i'm wiring up some speaker stuff at the moment. Curious with your choice.    Especially since you using that top notch kondo silver cables for your speaker wire.   love kondo!