Author Topic: Power Cables  (Read 56897 times)

Offline data

• Liked: 24
Re: Power Cables
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2014, 01:25:45 PM »
:) So...what arrived in your mail in box this morning, anything from across the Pond by chance? in my inbox this morning was a link to the site listed below.  The 20 something American Lady could certainly stir a few electrons with her voice alone but the marketing for the product is supposed to be compelling.......................Magnets makes music, errrr, right.  Well we nearly all know about the tiny pulses travelling along interconnect can be invaded by all sorts of nasties which add in a negative way so how's about that ladies and gentlemen (in a paedophile voice of a certain deceased presenter - TV personality)

http://www.magnetsmakemoremusic.com/

Slip on a load of magnets along all your cables so the conductors run through the magnets centre and sit back and be amazed..............well something like that.  I think this will be quite difficult in practice but the first to hear the benefits please write on the back of a 50 dollar note your listening improvements to: Chez V, Glen forrest, Perth WA (tee hee). It's a "game changer" according to some reviewers in the States.

Prices: CT-1 speaker cable $ 4'000/3m/pr, CT-1E speaker cable $ 7'000/3m/pr, CT-1E RCA interconnects $ 2'800/1m/pr

Final thoughts, well 6 paychecks liked them; the mains cables look thinner than the normal 'adult sized' cables we normally see and the mains conditioners are errr f- ing expensive boxes for a 'passive device'.  Over to your blokeies for your thoughts and considerations. I am particularly looking forward to a reply from Mr. Zen on this one.

May or may not have an effect.

But even if there is a difference it is something very cheap and basic to implement no doubt.....and they charge a fortune for it.

Pass :)

I will add that the Mad Scientist Audio Dicus have the same effect on many systems as these people claim of their products. But the difference is the Discus are neither magnets nor are they magnetic, and they don't cost a fortune and they even give away free samples.
I have samples on the positive terminals of my ML-1's and a retail pair on the positives of amp speaker binding posts.

I didn't think they would have ANY effect.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 01:55:58 PM by data »

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2014, 03:55:29 PM »
What a load, Watch the video, are they serious, it explains nothing even if there is a difference. It's just gobbledegook, Twisted science.

http://www.magnetsmakemoremusic.com/
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 03:59:57 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline gamve

• Liked: 219
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2014, 04:00:32 PM »
Borrowed from What's best forum on the topic of "High Fidelity Cables"

No thank you. I wouldn't buy anything from Rick Schultz the "Oddiophile". The guy went belly up with his first venture Virtual Dynamics and his "Speed of Light" technology. Now he's hawking the "Magnetic Conduction" technology with his new venture, High Fidelity Cables. It's nothing more that pseudo-scientific babble.

Then there's this masterpiece:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cbzcFGcckI

Ha Ha Ha

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2014, 04:15:03 PM »
No, Mr. Ping ping, I did not buy anything, merely commenting on an email that was sent to me this morning as advertising the latest and greatest in interconnect etc.  Whilst I will remain 'open minded' wrt these (never damn to the corridors of stupidity something which you fail to sample first!) I wonder if any of the group have tried / experienced them?

Clearly a lot of marketing 'hyperbole' has gone into them and most of the paid reviewers have given the thumbs up.  Nice one Graham, I'd forgotten about the earlier stuff, Oddiophile indeed.

There was this chap in the UK called Peter Belt, he had lots of theories on how to improve sound replay and whilst many scoffed at his ideas, some of them actually worked.  I say well done to those who pursue such matters but the price is errrr, a lot but these folks work out where they want to sit in the market price wise rather than work out costs and honest profit margins IMV, it's also a lot easier to get stores to stock and sell them if they make hundreds (ne thousands) of dollars for each system sold with them.
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline data

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2014, 05:39:05 PM »
Anyone game to try the free samples from MSA?

http://www.madscientist-audio.com/blackdiscus/

I am still trying to think of a funny explanation to will a pair, but Bob has covered most i could think of, he does have a good sense of humour  8)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 06:04:03 PM by data »

Offline data

« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2014, 07:21:41 PM »
Nobody?

Oh well.

Offline vitavoxdude

• Caring and sharing
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2014, 12:10:58 PM »
:) G'day Pete Mac.  Shame this topic has broken down to this point.  I do sympathise with the criticism you have received from one of our members.  Unfortunately there are 3 distinct camps in audio imo and if you fall in the one the other forum member does not like then no amount of dialogue will convince either party that they are wrong in their assumptions or knowledge.

What may be required to reach common ground is for each protagonist to hear each others idea of a music reproduction system before making what amounts to throw away comments. 

Tact and diplomacy are not taught enough at school IMV as it should be.  Time to leave behind the playground insults and enquire why exactly each party believes their choices are valid and debate on the merits not just damn to the corridors of mediocrity or lambast via sniping posts.

Of course there may be some history I am not aware of here but please refrain from the usual insults as it does not add any value whatsoever to the topic under discussion which is power cables
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline terry j

• Liked: 25
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2014, 02:01:32 PM »
why challenge pete mac when otoh you defend marios statements and dismiss them as just that from a bit of a wag?

Petes response is insulting but marios is a bit of a giggle?

Wow, the hypocrisy runs deep on this forum (and others) at times.

Offline pete_mac

• Liked: 3
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2014, 06:36:45 PM »
:) G'day Pete Mac.  Shame this topic has broken down to this point.  I do sympathise with the criticism you have received from one of our members.  Unfortunately there are 3 distinct camps in audio imo and if you fall in the one the other forum member does not like then no amount of dialogue will convince either party that they are wrong in their assumptions or knowledge.

What may be required to reach common ground is for each protagonist to hear each others idea of a music reproduction system before making what amounts to throw away comments. 

Tact and diplomacy are not taught enough at school IMV as it should be.  Time to leave behind the playground insults and enquire why exactly each party believes their choices are valid and debate on the merits not just damn to the corridors of mediocrity or lambast via sniping posts.

Of course there may be some history I am not aware of here but please refrain from the usual insults as it does not add any value whatsoever to the topic under discussion which is power cables

Tact and diplomacy... if only you knew my profession and the skills I possess in this regard.

Unfortunately, I'm fed up with Mario's constant put-downs on other member's preferences as a way of justifying his own position, establishing his supposed superiority, and just being outright arrogant.

Mario does a disservice to the entire 'killerdac' movement via his attitude. It's a damn shame if you ask me. It's not passion - it's just plain nasty.

I can't see how I've possibly done anything to deserve that kind of treatment from Mario. It's disappointing that you see fit to chastise me, but disregard Mario's comments entirely.

I absolutely understand the different audio preferences that people hold, and the very strong views on this forum. I've been very fortunate to be exposed to systems ranging from $1k to $150k - some superb, some underwhelming - with the results not
necessarily correlating with the money invested in them!

However, it is simply not right for someone to be downright rude, condescending and nasty in an attempt to belittle other people's systems as a way of invalidating their opinions. Mario - if you disagree with my comments elsewhere (which were based around the plugs being Oyaide clones which are brass, and the illegality of these plugs) then let's discuss it. These comments were in no way related to sound quality, as I've repeatedly said. How can you drag my system and my audio preferences into a discussion which is based on technical and legality grounds? It is 100% irrelevant, and is not the first time that this has happened - hence why I posted as I did above.

Mario, let's talk about the issue at hand like ADULTS rather than slandering my system and preferences.

If this is seriously considered as being acceptable behaviour on this forum, then sadly I don't think I will be posting much here at all. It amounts to little more than bullying - the behaviour of schoolboys who enjoy throwing their weight around and intimidating others. Workplaces don't allow it, schools don't allow it, and society as a whole frowns upon it. Yet we see it here without any reprimanding whatsoever. Very, very disappointing.

why challenge pete mac when otoh you defend marios statements and dismiss them as just that from a bit of a wag?

Petes response is insulting but marios is a bit of a giggle?

Wow, the hypocrisy runs deep on this forum (and others) at times.

Yep, you nailed it Terry.

Offline vitavoxdude

• Caring and sharing
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2014, 07:29:26 PM »
 :)
Tact and diplomacy... if only you knew my profession and the skills I possess in this regard.

And your profession is??????????

I replied as an oil pourer not a fire bomber.  I am tired of snippers and do not in any way support outbursts of the like we have seen in emotional back-bitting.  Mario does need a reprimand in this regard and I shall speak directly to him wrt this.  Why folk cannot agree to disagree stating their reasons in a logical, non emotional way is still surprising, after all its just Audio and livings and general well being do not depend on it in this instance.

Terry, you have met Mario and know how he phrases things but you are right, I can regard his musings as twitter twatter as I know him reasonably well.  Pete on the other hand I do not.  As an administrator on this site I thought it prudent to scold rather than my initial thought of just delete the post.  If this is high handed and hypercritical, so be it.  Beware the DELETE button. :o

Offline pete_mac

• Liked: 3
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2014, 07:50:17 PM »
:) And your profession is??????????

I'd prefer not to discuss this in an open forum with people that I don't know.

I replied as an oil pourer not a fire bomber.  I am tired of snippers and do not in any way support outbursts of the like we have seen in emotional back-bitting.  Mario does need a reprimand in this regard and I shall speak directly to him wrt this.

Thank you. That would be appreciated!

Why folk cannot agree to disagree stating their reasons in a logical, non emotional way is still surprising, after all its just Audio and livings and general well being do not depend on it in this instance.

I agree 100%

Let's just look back at how this started. Mario didn't like what my father and I posted regarding the legality and conductor material of the plugs (whilst 100% factual) on another forum but rather than engage with us and debate it, he branded us both dickheads in this exact thread. Another SNAer brought this to our attention.

I, of course, took exception to this. If Mario had argued on a technical and logical basis, I would happily have done the same. However, he clearly did not.

I'd be more than happy to discuss the legality of the plugs and the conductor material - a few other contributors to this thread (Paul included) have quite successfully and eloquently done so. It's your turn now Mario!

I completely understand that the legality and conductor material may not be a concern to some members, and that's fine - but being civil and refraining from calling people 'dickheads' due to a difference in opinion would have avoided this entire exchange of posts. I only posted here because of being called a 'dickhead with nothing better to do', along with my father who is a fellow audio nutter. If Mario had debated the issue constructively (whether on this forum or elsewhere) then we wouldn't be having this conversation full-stop!

Sorry for my reaction... but really... can you blame me?

I hope we can move on from here and that my future posts will be treated with respect. I'm certainly not here to cause trouble.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 07:59:29 PM by pete_mac »

Offline vitavoxdude

• Caring and sharing
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2014, 07:57:44 PM »
:) :) :) :) :) At last, a considerate reply, now all we need is one from Mario and we can all live ever happily after..............calling planet Mario, hello Mario, Earth to Mario receiving over?

Offline rondine

• Liked: 0
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2014, 10:13:02 PM »
He's probably too busy being a Superhero.

ron

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2014, 12:39:44 AM »
He's probably too busy being a Superhero.

ron
Had a busy day changing air conditioner in my car a real dik of a job.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 12:59:03 AM by kajak12 »
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2014, 12:58:25 AM »

Unfortunately, I'm fed up with Mario's constant put-downs on other member's preferences as a way of justifying his own position, establishing his supposed superiority, and just being outright arrogant.

You show me links to constant put downs on other members preferences,justifying my own positions to who i dont really give a you know what,i was wrong calling you/dad a dik head very distasteful choice of words for such highly regarded members of sna who have helped so many members with such vast knowledge in electronics.Thankyou for informing  the world that chinese plugs are just copper plated none of us knew that apart from a selected few which informed me many moons ago.
Please inform the general public on sna in the for sale section about some non compliant plugs/cords 
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2014, 01:15:45 AM »
Time to move on children, end it ... This is of no benefit to anyone, from now on it's topic only>:(
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 01:18:31 AM by stevenvalve »

Offline hedalfa

• Liked: 328
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2014, 06:42:17 AM »
You show me links to constant put downs on other members preferences,justifying my own positions to who i dont really give a you know what,i was wrong calling you/dad a dik head very distasteful choice of words for such highly regarded members of sna who have helped so many members with such vast knowledge in electronics.Thankyou for informing  the world that chinese plugs are just copper plated none of us knew that apart from a selected few which informed me many moons ago.
Please inform the general public on sna in the for sale section about some non compliant plugs/cords

If the issue of compliance is for public safety, no issues with that (people can choose if this is a concern or not), yet other non compliant plugs/cords should as Mario point out be identified as well, that's being even handed.

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2014, 07:36:12 AM »
The for sale link Mario posted was for some cables with US style plugs, being sold 2nd hand.   Is that the same thing, is it relevant?

It's a given that cables with US plugs, wont comply, isnt it?   Here's a question,  are there any local retailers selling US style power cables  (wanders off to look at KK's site).

It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline PingPing

• Liked: 6
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2014, 07:39:54 AM »
... Thankyou for informing  the world that chinese plugs are just copper plated none of us knew that apart from a selected few which informed me many moons ago.   Please inform the general public on sna in the for sale section about some non compliant plugs/cords
Interesting  :)

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2014, 08:31:59 AM »
Is it legal to use a US power cable like this,,,,,

http://www.krispyaudio.com.au/products/Shunyata-Research-Venom-3S-US-Power-Cable.html

If I used 1 of these?

http://www.krispyaudio.com.au/products/Shunyata-Research-Venom-PS%252d8-Power-Strip.html
The active pins are still exposed.

Why is it ok to commercially sell US power cables, that dont comply with local standards?   Genuine question.  No one batters an eyelid to these cables with US plugs.
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.