Poll

The "perfect" Audio PC to handle digital formats streaming to the DAC...

The "perfect" Audio PC to handle digital formats streaming to the DAC...
1 (100%)
The "perfect" Audio PC to handle digital formats streaming to any DAC...
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Audio PC  (Read 8971 times)

Offline rhlauranna

• Liked: 198
Audio PC
« on: September 23, 2014, 02:16:25 AM »
well, please pardon me if I should have overlooked a specific topic regarding the construction and implementation of an Audio PC, but I could not find any... if there should be any then please feel free to move it there...

I could as well imagine a general link to all the DACs around ?

hmmm, what goes through my mind for about two years now seems already not only to be thought through but already "under construction" by certain DIYers, and I think that those who want to make best use of their different FLAC-files might be interested in this topic...

as I am not a technician and because you all know much more than me, this could be interesting enough to get inspired and animated to bring things further...

...and as we all have made our very different trial and errors and have come to special results the one and/or the other way, we now could be able to really experience for ourselves the advantages of a "perfect" Audio-PC...

...a perfect Audio PC with all those different and separate (controlled) power supplies needed to drive a PC/MAC, for example like this one, which is from "Nige2000" on the DIY-site here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/224108-nos-192-24-dac-pcm1794-waveio-usb-input-302.html

...and I can only repeat myself, my stomoch tells me that the right adjustment of different power supplies within the PC/MAC might lead to the same or at least comparable ameliorations in sound as separated 12 Volt controlled power supply and the decoupling of the 5 Volt from the USB-cable getting its own independent controlled power supply...

I like to quote that what Nige2000 personally wrote to me:

"audio pc
all power supplied direct from lifepo4 batteries and no switching power supplies so thats
2x12v
4x3.3v
2 x 5v

then theres two clock replacements on the motherboard
the 25mhz and the 32.768khz which is powered externally by 3.3v cells
os is on a usb3 key powered by 3.3v cell
usb card has had a clock replacement 24mhz and is powered along with the usb chip from external 3.3v cell

cpu and bios are underclocked to reduce noise and ram timings are adjusted for best latency
dddac is reclocked too

this is a lot of expense though rpi/bbb and reclocker will have 90% of my pc's sq and rpi/bbb reclocked will best any std pc/laptop unmodified no doubt about that "

and here is a picture of what he has realised so far:

and let me add the thread where actual things regarding an Audio PC are already being discussed:

http://www.tirnahifi.org/forum/viewt...sb+card#p57906

to me this could be an ideal platform to concentrate all the existing brain trust around in creating a "perfect" Audio PC, couldn't it ?

we will always have to remember - as is in cooking - "what you do not put in, you cannot get out..."

« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 12:10:54 AM by rhlauranna »

Offline hedalfa

• Liked: 328
Re: Audio PC
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 08:21:31 AM »
This is an interesting and well for me at least an important thread, thanks for posting.

There’s a amazing range of music, films etc online and it is growing, even really obscure stuff can be found and by by viewing and listening to it you may decide to purchase a CD , or Lps, and in some cases tape. Also even with moderate computer speakers, not totally junk there is enjoyment to  be had from some online music. I am sure the playback can be improved a lot. A budget valve DAC for computer audio would be great as well.

I have wonder my self what a perfect audio PC would be. I heard one of the big issues is power supply noise, noisy fans and cheap dime a dozen power supply. Others with electronic knowledge could comment, yet some better power supplies and filtering would be one thing I would intuitively look for. So I think that aspect certainly wont hurt, and could help.  So id suspect what you have outlined has merit yet I hope others that know more will answer your questions.

Id like to have an audio PC myself. Ill take a look at the thread as soon as I get the chance.

Offline rhlauranna

• Liked: 198
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 08:23:48 PM »
I am really very impressed of what I see and read...

and what those guys are doing within this topic

"AUDIO PC: Direct power to motherboad 24 and 4pin (picoless)"

makes sense to me...

here is a picture

but there are more on the site:

http://www.tirnahifi.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2832&sid=f315afd4b75c42d82cf4f1e771e254fb&start=40

I have a deep feel that something like this is the way to go...

« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 11:44:05 PM by rhlauranna »

Offline Tuyen

• Liked: 221
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 08:42:31 AM »
Fanless system powered by linear power supply makes sense for less noise in the power and thus less noise in the data signal path through the usb line to the dac.

If fan must be used, power the fans externally with separate isolated power source. Also keeping the whole computer naked/uncared helps too.

This whole approach is too extreme for my personal liking.

As i love my thermaltake dh-102 case with its little builtin front touchscreen to show album art and whatnot too much, I'm going to experiment a different route.  Specifically designed power filter adapters on the empty pci/pci-e slots, ram slots, between hdd and mobo/power plugs and between fan and mobo/power plugs.  Mayb also a dedicated 'audiophile'  usb card. But they aren't cheap.

Can use Nofan Fanless pc power supply.   1 big noctua fan for case cooling and 1 for cpu cooling.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 08:46:25 AM by Tuyen »

Offline Tuyen

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 11:19:34 AM »
some photos of the stuff I previously mentioned:

Offline gamve

• Liked: 219
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 12:29:24 PM »
Want a very cheap noiseless PC? Don't want to spend Thousands of dollars? .... Put the computer box in another room   :-*

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 01:41:49 PM »
 :) :) :) :)  Fantastic find Tuyen, I allready have the PCI capacitor boards but I had not seen the HDD bypasses and HF chokes, nice find thanks.  Where do you get this stuff from?  The Ram slots, what's that all about?  The fan filters are obvious but RAM slots????
V
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline Tuyen

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 02:56:58 PM »
http://stores.ebay.com.au/Vintage-Audio-Lab/Computer-Audio-Solution-/_i.html?_fsub=560023019&_sid=314713499&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Regarding the memory power filter current booster cards, I don't know how they work (if they work at all).    Just thought they are cheap enough to warrant giving them a go.

Offline Tuyen

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 03:10:35 PM »
Regarding 'audio optimized' USB interface cards,   I would love to have one of these.  Just the price is holding me back.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOtM-tX-USB-exp-PCI-Express-USB-3-0-Host-Hi-End-Sound-Card-/121449329214?pt=US_Sound_Cards_Internal_&hash=item1c46f1b23e

Offline Tuyen

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 03:19:29 PM »
Reinhard,  this guy has taken pc as source to pretty hardcore levels too. Check it out

http://ppastudio.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Tuyen

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 04:01:40 PM »
I will probably get one of these USB interface cards instead of the SoTM cards.

http://ppaproduct.blogspot.tw/2013/07/audio-grade-usb-30-pcie-card.html

Offline Chanh

• Liked: 9
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 10:42:16 AM »
What's about Raspberry Pi or BeagleBone Black, Cubbie Truck, to name a few? Embedded player with I2S direct into the DAC. Isn't that the shortest, purest, and lowest jitter?

I am currently working on the BBB with Acko I2S isolator dual re-clock board. The clocks are 98.xx and 90.xx, which will directly into my DDDAC. The BBB with inbuilt 4GB eMM storage is $85 delivered, the isolator with reclock wopper $300+(OZ). Linear PS approx $300, all up still way cheaper than a non-optimised pc. :)