Author Topic: The Line Magnetic LM-502CA Dac  (Read 137361 times)

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
Re: The Line Magnetic LM-502CA Dac
« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2014, 05:46:40 PM »
some thoughts from Thorsten Loesch (he of AMR fame, http://www.amr-audio.co.uk/html/product_list.html

Well, it shows not everyone of these manufactures has gone the way of the modern chip. Quote

Over the past decade, digital playback has veered off on a tangent, to sound ever more detailed and uninvolving. Hence AMR's CD-77 Compact Disk Processor had one aim and one aim only:

"To bring compact disk playback back en par with the vinyl system."

That is, to put the life, emotion and enjoyment back into listening to compact disks. With this in mind, the CD-77 was developed to sound real, dynamic and most important of all, involving for the listener.

The core DAC is the classic "King of the Multibit" – Philips TDA1541A chipset. This chipset forms the heart of an extremely unique “Digital Engine” that is comprised of the latest Lattic’s CPLD and TI’s DSP devices. Through the proprietary Digital Master I/Digital Master II settings, the CD-77 is one of the select few digital components that is able to play "bit perfect" audio. This means music, not hifi is the result as the sound is just right because there is no artificial manipulation of the signal (so often found in almost all other machines).

Combined with the revolutionary “Gomez” analogue stage using pure New Old Stock valves throughout and a total of 5 dedicated audio specified transformers, the CD-77 brings the performance of CD back in-line with the very best vinyl has to offer.

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2014, 05:54:30 PM »
Stake knives are not much good unless you have a problem with vampires...
Garlic kills vampires not knives
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline Rob181

• Liked: 14
  • Trust Your Instincts
« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2014, 09:32:37 PM »
You eat with steak knives...you kill with stake knives...especially ones covered in garlic...

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2014, 10:24:49 PM »
You eat with steak knives...you kill with stake knives...especially ones covered in garlic...
Steak knives?? you buy the wrong steak meat i don't need a knife for my steak
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2014, 11:12:07 AM »
The Korg DAC I'm talking about is not a recorder it is a totally new product...mmm let me find a link

http://www.korg.com/us/products/audio/ds_dac_100/

Have a gander
It appears to run off usb power.
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline gamve

• Liked: 219
« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2014, 12:39:31 PM »
It appears to run off usb power.

Yes I hate the USB (Universal Shit Bus) But in this case the thing just works.
The thing I hate most about music played from a PC is that most people fcuk around  endleslly with
software, drives, fancy hardware etc (spew). Without exception I have never got through anybodys
high end PC music playback display without something fcuking up. Generally more time is spent pissing
around with the computer instead of listening to music.
The Korg software is very good and the DAC is a very honest product at the price. No it won't replace your
KillerDac but your killerDac won't play DSD files. I have found the korg will play most all file formats except
the idiotic FLAC (Fcuking Lousy Audio Compression.
Its not a world beater but it's a bloody good economical start for someone experimenting with PC audio.
The software and driver installs easily, worked strait away (on three PC's I tried it on) and in 100 Hours use
has not fell over once. Fcuk me a product that actually works....wonders will never cease

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2014, 01:21:44 PM »
I already have a usb powered dsd dac connected to a macmini,  playback software is Audirvana,  and it "just works".   Macmini has no problems accessing my files from home nas box.

It works.  But is a long way behind the Kdac.  Chalk and cheese really.

I yearn for a sub 4k dsd dac solution that sounds better than the Kdac.  It can be done, only a matter of time.
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline Mark OTL

• Liked: 22
« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2014, 09:46:41 PM »
Ok, so the jury's in on the LM 502 after quite  a lot of listening. This is a modified unit and has the original 6Z4 rectifier swapped out for a NOS GEC 6X4, and the output tubes swapped out to Mullard NOS 12AU7's "superman" version. The mains wiring was replaced with Yamamura multi strand Cu with cotton insulation, the output wire replaced with Bryans "nazi" solid Cu,... whatever that is, and the signal caps replaced with Mundorf Silver/Gold/Oils. Nothing dramatic, just simple touches. I can't really tell you what the sound of the "out of the box" unit is, I heard it briefly on an "alien" system, but on that system, just changing the rectifier tube had a considerable impact.

I can honestly say that the LM502 synergised beautifully with my system and while being fed by my modified CEC transport, it equaled or exceeded the sound my KDac in virtually every discernible listening parameter you can name. I fully understand what a politically incorrect statement this is on a site dedicated to the KDac, and I will be burned at the stake for declaring it, but sometimes you need to put aside your prejudices and just listen "without blinkers".

This Dac in it's modified form, excels in the 2 areas that I deem highest on my priority list. Dynamics and Timbrel Rendering. It's blindingly fast if the music calls for it, and it reproduces micro/macro dynamics with aplomb, it's just so damn engaging. This I think this is the word that came to mind over and over,....engaging. It's sense of pace and rhythm is beguiling, it just draws you in and involves you. Many times while trying to analyze, I would simply be drawn into the performance, and the analyzing would stop. This is a damn good indicator something special is in play.

Engagement is driven by dynamics and pace/rhythm, beauty is portrayed by timbrel rendering, whether vocals, or acoustic instruments, and this is where this DAC really turns it up a few notches. It's portrayal of timbre is superb, not euphoric, not smoothed over or "glassey", just simply stunning.

Another area of particular remark is the 502's spacial reproduction. The recreation of space around performers and the original sound space where the recording took place is just amazing. Transparency is another area of excellence. It's ability to show you right inside the music is just indeed uncanny.

Towards the end of the night, we replaced the Mundorfs with Deulunds, and no surprises there, is became more relaxed, and cleaner/sweeter.

I won't bore you with an extended review, I will simply say if you're near my place, (Geelong), or you have a chance to investigate this DAC somewhere nearby, go and listen carefully for yourself. Remember,..this was a modified 502, I cannot speak for the standard offering, but these mod's are easy to perform.

So, will I put my money where my mouth is? You better believe it! I'll buy one in these units in the coming weeks and perform the same mod's Bryan has, then see if there are other areas of performance gain.

Now, let the Witch Hunt begin!!
Best learn from other peoples mistakes, you'll never have time to make them all yourself!

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2014, 10:44:26 PM »
It seems to have a real synergy with your system, and I can understand you need to buy one, it will be interesting when I get my hands on one of these units to see if it jells with my system. I wonder if you get one, where will you get the Yamamura multi strand Cu,  It is unoptianiom,  Nice Mark,   Ps, Craig will be down your way soon and he will have a listen, I will be interested in has comments.

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2014, 12:46:13 AM »

Pure silver knives do  ;D
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2014, 01:21:44 AM »
Ok, so the jury's in on the LM 502 after quite  a lot of listening. This is a modified unit and has the original 6Z4 rectifier swapped out for a NOS GEC 6X4, and the output tubes swapped out to Mullard NOS 12AU7's "superman" version. The mains wiring was replaced with Yamamura multi strand Cu with cotton insulation, the output wire replaced with Bryans "nazi" solid Cu,... whatever that is, and the signal caps replaced with Mundorf Silver/Gold/Oils. Nothing dramatic, just simple touches. I can't really tell you what the sound of the "out of the box" unit is, I heard it briefly on an "alien" system, but on that system, just changing the rectifier tube had a considerable impact.

I can honestly say that the LM502 synergised beautifully with my system and while being fed by my modified CEC transport, it equaled or exceeded the sound my KDac in virtually every discernible listening parameter you can name. I fully understand what a politically incorrect statement this is on a site dedicated to the KDac, and I will be burned at the stake for declaring it, but sometimes you need to put aside your prejudices and just listen "without blinkers".

This Dac in it's modified form, excels in the 2 areas that I deem highest on my priority list. Dynamics and Timbrel Rendering. It's blindingly fast if the music calls for it, and it reproduces micro/macro dynamics with aplomb, it's just so damn engaging. This I think this is the word that came to mind over and over,....engaging. It's sense of pace and rhythm is beguiling, it just draws you in and involves you. Many times while trying to analyze, I would simply be drawn into the performance, and the analyzing would stop. This is a damn good indicator something special is in play.

Engagement is driven by dynamics and pace/rhythm, beauty is portrayed by timbrel rendering, whether vocals, or acoustic instruments, and this is where this DAC really turns it up a few notches. It's portrayal of timbre is superb, not euphoric, not smoothed over or "glassey", just simply stunning.

Another area of particular remark is the 502's spacial reproduction. The recreation of space around performers and the original sound space where the recording took place is just amazing. Transparency is another area of excellence. It's ability to show you right inside the music is just indeed uncanny.

Towards the end of the night, we replaced the Mundorfs with Deulunds, and no surprises there, is became more relaxed, and cleaner/sweeter.

I won't bore you with an extended review, I will simply say if you're near my place, (Geelong), or you have a chance to investigate this DAC somewhere nearby, go and listen carefully for yourself. Remember,..this was a modified 502, I cannot speak for the standard offering, but these mod's are easy to perform.

So, will I put my money where my mouth is? You better believe it! I'll buy one in these units in the coming weeks and perform the same mod's Bryan has, then see if there are other areas of performance gain.

Thanks for the comprehensive report Mark. I look forward to hearing your system with the new DAC  ;)
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline Lansche plasma guy

• Liked: 6
« Reply #91 on: October 05, 2014, 01:24:28 AM »
No we should all follow blindly and believe everything we are told  ;D

Brian's comment was his opinion. He also said the DAC killed a $100,000 turntable set up.
Now let's think about this for a bit, a 2K dac sounds better than a 100K tuntable. Don't know
about you but that instantly turns on my Bullhsit filter
I have not heard this new DAC so I have no opinion. Lots of hype usually means lots of BS
and some sort of vested financial interest. I really like other peoples opinions except when
what they are really trying to do is flog me some latest and greatest piece of rubbish that
will be worth exactly 1 /10 of what it cost 3 months later.
Having had my rant I would like to add if this new device does indeed do what it claims then
expect that the price will probably triple into the next model which will probably be only half
as good as the original model.
Wonder how it compares up against my delightfully cheap, simple and unmodified Korg 100
DSD capable dac?

I really don't know what to say to this.  To say I was shocked and saddened reading it was a very strong understatement.  I thought we were all pretty good friends.  I also thought I would share with my friends the excitement and joy i've been feeling listening to this dac. 

My personal opinion is that it is a game changer.  It may be there are lots of game changers out there including Graham's Korg DSD dec that he seems to like.  Who knows?? 

All I know is what my ears tell me.  My ears tell me that with some basic mods this thing has been revelatory in every system i've put it in.  I wanted to share the joy i've been getting with everyone else. 

I'm not trying to shoot down the Killer Dac. 

And are you serious about the BS meter being on red alert when i said that it was in another league to the mega dollar turntable setup???   There are a lot of factors that could go into this.  Was the turntable correctly setup??  Who knows.

I really don't care.  I just wanted to share with you all my experience with something that costs very little sounds incredible to me and everyone who has heard it in my company so far. 

Vested financial interest.  Yeah right.  There is no vested financial interest.  I'm not the manufacturer.  I'm not the importer.  I'm not flogging anything to anyone.  Bill Mclean is the importer and he is a friend of mine and a lovely guy.  A lot of industry people are friends of mine.  Kind of normal when you've been fanatical about audio your entire life.  When it comes time I will get mine at cost or near cost.  I don't know what that will be yet.  This would have been the case regardless of everything else and whoever buys these things. 

I'm not selling Killer Dacs.  I'm not selling parts for killer dads.  I'm not selling a huge store of tubes and parts i've collected for the killerdac to all the owners every year or two and making money off it.  Really this is all pretty pathetic.  I thought it would be cool to mention the new dec to you guys so that you could experiment with some of this stuff yourself.  Heck you can even mod them and sell them as the new killer dec or something and make money from that.  Who knows??

I'll be getting the dec back of Mark next week and will do way more mods and i'll enjoy it myself and with my friends and you guys can do whatever you want to do.  I'm really sorry i've disturbed your forum rather than being personally attacked by people most of whom i thought where friends.  I won't be disturbing your forum with any new posts on all the mods i'll be making to my unit.

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #92 on: October 05, 2014, 03:00:33 AM »
:) It is cool to bring to others attention a great DAC.  Look at all the replies and reads :)

Don't get too strung up about some of the comments, they are just fleeting thoughts for most and not aimed in a nasty way.  I think you have put the record very straight after some cast doubts, even I thought  oh no, another advert but its clear now that was not the intention.  Thanks for your continued support for this site, you are a valued member and proven magician of system assemblage ;).
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline skc

• Liked: 19
« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2014, 12:57:09 PM »
I'm not selling Killer Dacs.  I'm not selling parts for killer dads.  I'm not selling a huge store of tubes and parts i've collected for the killerdac to all the owners every year or two and making money off it. 

BOOM - and there it is; the precipitant to so much of the pathology evident on this site!!

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2014, 01:44:43 PM »

I'm not selling Killer Dacs.  I'm not selling parts for killer dads.  I'm not selling a huge store of tubes and parts i've collected for the killerdac to all the owners every year or two and making money off it. 
Some statement.... I do not sell Killerdacs, I don't build Killerdacs, I make no money from them at all, I don't sell parts virtually ever to anyone for them, I have not made any for years, So what are you on about Bryan, So who are you talking about.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 01:49:01 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2014, 02:06:04 PM »

Mark, Yamamura multi strand Cu. I have some of this wire in my amps, and i find it critical to use this wire to get the sound I am after, It has a glorious mid range beauty and involving nature. I find it can and does transform the sound of components I have used it in. It explains a lot about your impressions. If you what your new DAC to sound the same as Bryans you need to get some. Trouble is it's imposable to find. Luckily I have enough here to try if find these DACs cut it. So mark get some if you can, it does make a huge impact, and you will find it will not be the same without it.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 12:06:45 AM by stevenvalve »

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2014, 02:07:50 PM »
:) OK ok, snipers riffles down boys or the moderators will split their sides laughing! :P :P :P :P :P
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2014, 02:25:16 PM »

I think some people here have got the wrong idea. Myself and many others think that this is just game, it is just a hobby, a bit of fun, all for the common goal, a better HIFI. Almost all do not take this hobby that seriously. Some here really need to look at the important things in life. And this hobby is not one of them,  There is no Witch Hunt, Nobody really cares less,  I Know I don't. When your life is in jeopardy or someone you love, then you will realize what really matters, and HIFI does not even rate. The older you get the more you understand life.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2014, 02:30:58 PM »
BOOM - and there it is; the precipitant to so much of the pathology evident on this site!!
Knowbody on this tread sells killerdacs. The only one who makes them, has not posted here for months. Only about 10 people on this forum even own them.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2014, 02:38:06 PM »
:) OK ok, snipers riffles down boys or the moderators will split their sides laughing! :P :P :P :P :P
Yes... I am laughing, it is so funny, Immature human nature at its best, I just love watching, or in this case reading it. Boy do you learn a lot about people.