Author Topic: The Line Magnetic LM-502CA Dac  (Read 136222 times)

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
Re: The Line Magnetic LM-502CA Dac
« Reply #160 on: November 04, 2014, 11:56:56 PM »
;) Good ole Graham, say it as it is. 8)
Steveo, yes accepted, making grand statements is never wise but if he really believes it the muts nuts then good for him........Now if I can just purchase for a fifth of the price all my system (S) again and be in a different league I would, but puff the magic dragon says NO, damn and blast.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
V
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline Tuyen

• Liked: 221
« Reply #161 on: November 05, 2014, 06:08:15 PM »
Not specifically regarding the LM-502CA DAC, but regarding the ES9016/ES9018 DAC chips,  this DIY'er reports how he converts one to tube output stage and is in love.

http://www.diysoundlab.com/index.php/es9018-dac-or-nfb-11

Also another guy who stuck a tube output stage to his Buffalo II DAC (ES9018) and prefers it over the SS based IVY3 output stage.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/484857/buffalo-ii-dac-with-switchable-6h6p-valve-output-and-ivy-3

Offline vitavoxdude

• Caring and sharing
« Reply #162 on: November 05, 2014, 07:46:48 PM »
 :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
 :) :) :) :) :) Great post, thank you Tuyen :) :) :) :) :) :)
 :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline Tuyen

« Reply #163 on: November 05, 2014, 07:53:16 PM »
Of course Fikus has to also share his experience after creating the 'BuffaloDAC'.

http://lampizator.eu/lampizator/REFERENCES/Buffalo%20DAC/BuffaloDAC.html

TICKET TO NIRVANA:
The total cost is: Buffalo with PSU 230  USD, Transformer 20 USD, Lampizator circa 250 USD, housing 60 USD.  Jewellery, AC cable, RCA, etc. 20 USD
Total -580 USD and add tax for EU.  Not bad at all for the World King Of Dacs.

As DIY'ers and tinkerers, would assume we be more inclined to buy a 'es9018 dac board' and build our own output stage eh?   Would possibly be able to get one going for around $1k if we wanted. Which is around price of the LM-502CA. 

I'd like to attempt to build one sometime next year for fun.   

Offline Tuyen

« Reply #164 on: November 05, 2014, 08:02:45 PM »
Another report where guy much prefers a 'tubed' buffalo over the standard ss based output stage.

http://www.headfonia.com/the-flagship-audio-gd-pcm1704-based-ref-7-1/
(scroll down to the bottom section named: VERSUS THE TUBE BUFFALO 32 DAC)

All these positive reports actually brings some hope for the sabre chips in my view as well.   As I have to admit, I wasn't overly impressed with the sabre based DACs I've heard in the past (AudioGD and Twisted Pear Buffalo 3SE).

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
« Reply #165 on: November 07, 2014, 01:23:27 AM »
Zenelectro, summed  it up nicely, He can make a beautiful sounding Sabre base DAC, without all the Line Magnetics compromises. But at what price

Basically all the bits you need to make a really SOTA Sabre DAC board / spdif / USB input are available here and there on the net.

The real trick is knowing which ones to get and how to configure them. Yes I have an early Buffalo, it's junk.

Then a decent valve stage needs to be added and interface to the Sabre. Note the Sabre is balanced.
Valve power supply and a nice big enclosure to fit decent rectifier / valve / chokes etc. so it looks the part.

The whole thing can be done for around $3k finished, probably a bit extra for stupid expensive parts like Duelund.

This is a DAC that will do everything up to 192k PCM (maybe 384) / DSD from USB and PCM 192k from SPDIF

IMHO I believe a DSD only DAC with a software player to convert everything to DSD will sound better but there's no doubt
a very well configured Sabre will be very very good.

You asked!  :) :) :) :) :)

T

Offline James

• Liked: 2
« Reply #166 on: November 09, 2014, 03:43:18 PM »
I'm very happy with my ackodac/ ntd1 output stage

Offline klackto

• Liked: 35
« Reply #167 on: December 24, 2014, 10:00:27 AM »
It seems a few have bought one these dacs by so far no feedback.
Any reports?   Steve did you get to try one I your system?

Offline gamve

• Liked: 219
« Reply #168 on: January 05, 2015, 03:50:21 PM »
It seems a few have bought one these dacs by so far no feedback.
Any reports?   Steve did you get to try one I your system?

I Like mine. Put a decent 6X4 rectifier and some decent 12AU7's and that is the extent
of modifications at least till the thing is fully run in. Is is a killerdac killer? Not with the
minor modifications I have made. I'm not going to modify this unit to anywhere near what
some others have attempted as I am happy enough with the standard performance for
where I will be using it.  Is it the best $1000 DAC available? Yes without a doubt.
I brought mine for a second system and the bang for buck is undeniable. It does exactly
what I expected and I am pleased with my purchase. Would I recommend it to others?
Big fat YES.

Offline vitavoxdude

• Caring and sharing
« Reply #169 on: January 05, 2015, 04:22:16 PM »
:)And there you have it.  Great post from some one who is not trying to sell it!

Offline PingPing

• Liked: 6
« Reply #170 on: January 05, 2015, 07:40:56 PM »
I Like mine.   Put a decent 6X4 rectifier and some decent 12AU7's and that is the extent of modifications at least till the thing is fully run in. Is is a killerdac killer?   Not with the minor modifications I have made.    I'm not going to modify this unit to anywhere near what some others have attempted as I am happy enough with the standard performance for where I will be using it.   Is it the best $1000 DAC available? Yes without a doubt.   I brought mine for a second system and the bang for buck is undeniable.   It does exactly what I expected and I am pleased with my purchase.   Would I recommend it to others? Big fat YES.
gamve, in what ways do you believe that the KDAC is better than the Line Magnetic DAC  :)

Offline gamve

• Liked: 219
« Reply #171 on: January 05, 2015, 11:46:47 PM »
gamve, in what ways do you believe that the KDAC is better than the Line Magnetic DAC  :)

Tonality, presence and just a feeling of this sound is real. Please note that my LM DAC is stock
standard apart from tube rolling.  The KD is a reference benchmark for digital for my ears.
The LM is exceptionally good for what it is and at the price point it is available for. The best part
is that with some music you can forget comparisons and also forget which unit you are listening too
and just thoroughly enjoy the music. I am also slowly falling for the sound of the Korg DSD DAC
playing good DSD files, but that is another story for another day.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #172 on: January 06, 2015, 01:07:46 AM »
Ping its hard to go past a Line Magnetic DAC that costs $1000, and has the basics of what's needed the make good music. I will get one of these Line Magnetic DAC's or the newer model for fun eventually. Or one day soon someone will bring a modified one up here. The Kdac really is for someone who is super serious about music reproduction and really know's how to tune it to his system, and his system as a whole, It's capable of magnificent sound but I stress, in the right hands.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 12:54:41 AM by stevenvalve »

Offline flemo

• Liked: 22
« Reply #173 on: February 18, 2015, 11:18:37 PM »
Ping its hard to go past a Line Magnetic DAC that costs $1000,

I must confess that this dac does interest me, of course it would only be for background music when not using the TT.   :D

I think with the AUD copping a hammering they're now around the $1400 mark plus shipping?

There is (or was) one for sale on SNA for $1200, which seems a bit pricey given the cost of a new one? 

Are there any known to be in Perth for a demo maybe?

Cheers

Pete

Offline vitavoxdude

• Caring and sharing
« Reply #174 on: February 19, 2015, 01:40:57 AM »
:) Pete, maybe ask Tuyen, he has lots of contacts.
V

Offline Tuyen

« Reply #175 on: February 19, 2015, 09:49:06 AM »
Sorry lads, I don't know anyone local who owns one of these units.

I think the Helmut was asking that much cos he had put better quality tubes in it, along with better output caps (Mundorfs).

Offline flemo

• Liked: 22
« Reply #176 on: February 19, 2015, 12:15:27 PM »
Sorry lads, I don't know anyone local who owns one of these units.

I think the Helmut was asking that much cos he had put better quality tubes in it, along with better output caps (Mundorfs).

I sent him a pm seeking more info but haven't heard anything yet.   

Offline Tuyen

« Reply #177 on: February 27, 2015, 02:22:01 AM »
Demo may infact be possible in the near future Pete. Found out my local friend ended up buying Helmut's unit.  Should arrive in the mail any day now :)

Will let you know. Keen to hear it myself!

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #178 on: February 27, 2015, 07:14:10 AM »
Is there anyone in Sydney or Brisbane with 1 of these?
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #179 on: February 27, 2015, 07:05:12 PM »
I must confess that this dac does interest me, of course it would only be for background music when not using the TT.   :D

I think with the AUD copping a hammering they're now around the $1400 mark plus shipping?

There is (or was) one for sale on SNA for $1200, which seems a bit pricey given the cost of a new one? 

Are there any known to be in Perth for a demo maybe?

Cheers

Pete
If your using solid state amps any dac will do stop flogging a dead horse to win the Melbourne cup :P
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time