Author Topic: Stepped Attenuator  (Read 6214 times)

DanFi

Stepped Attenuator
« on: September 04, 2010, 05:04:11 AM »
When i get home i want to change out my pot in my integrated amp to a good stepped attenuator.

Could you guys help me here. What is a good stepped attenuator, what do you use for volume control, what resistors are the best.

I have been recommended Takman resistors, any thoughts? also metal or carbon?

My Integrated amp has a passive pre section which (i will check when im home) i believe is just a 20K pot and also a selector switch for the inputs at the back, not sure if its any more complicated than that, would it be?

Also is 20k atten good? should i be looking at getting a different value atten? I will ask the guy who made my amp about this too, he said he could change a few things to suit different value attenuators.

All opinions and recommendations welcome

thanks

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
Re: Stepped Attenuator
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 11:14:47 AM »
takman is a great resistor its carbon but it has the detail of a metal film without the metalic sound.
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

tuyen

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 12:16:41 PM »
I agree with Mario thoughts on this. After testing numerous resistors from partsconnexion in my signal path.  Takman REX carbons are my fav

DanFi

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 04:17:59 PM »
takman is a great resistor its carbon but it has the detail of a metal film without the metalic sound.
I agree with Mario thoughts on this. After testing numerous resistors from partsconnexion in my signal path.  Takman REX carbons are my fav

Sweet, thanks guys.

Now has anyone had any experience with a good 24 step switch, does not have to 24 i guess.

tuyen

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 07:47:17 PM »
theres only really 2 ones out there that is good quality and easy to get

seiden (japan) or elma (swiss)

i'm currently using elma but i'vetried the seiden and i like the feel of the seiden better.   seiden has adjustable amount of pressure needed between the steps. it is a little bit pricier though.

DanFi

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 02:15:30 AM »
I saw someone recommended these as the best, probably price tag to accompany though.

Quote from: someone from DIYAudio
shallcross rotary switches and Caddock MK-132 precision resistors, also Dale resistors

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 12:15:30 PM »
I saw someone recommended these as the best, probably price tag to accompany though.

Quote from: someone from DIYAudio
shallcross rotary switches and Caddock MK-132 precision resistors, also Dale resistors
their is no best its what works better in you system to create synergy
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time