General HIFI > Amplification (Pre/Power)

Mingda MC34 -how to remove beauty rings ?

(1/5) > >>

donberry:
I have the older version of the MC34AB - doesn't have the power meter on it, and it has made a scratchy noise for the longest time but I am just now getting around to working on it. Could be wrong and often am, but I have a feeling it is because of some loose tube sockets. None of the sockets could be said to fit like a glove, but 3 in particular are pretty loose. Even if it doesn't fix the noise, still needs done.
I have not examined the heck out of it yet but just did a cursory look - I didn't really see how the beauty rings are attached.  I don't think there is access to them from inside the unit, so I am guessing they are just press fitted or screwed on ?

Figured as long as I am going to be doing that much soldering I may as well finally change the film caps. I didn't splurge on them, just picked up the Mundorf Supreme MKP for the .22uf, have not decided on the 1.0uf. As there are 8 of them it's not going to be too cheap so still trying to decide which way to go. Was looking at some obbligato gold, but couldn't make up my mind so still trying to decide. Wishing I had went with a better .22 cap already but figure I will give them a listen and see how they sound as they won't be hard to change

any info on the beauty rings appreciated

oceangreen17:

Also on this topic does anyone have a schematic of the Ming Da MC34 they could possibly pm me?

I recently purchased the famous modded Ming Da and are very curious to research some possible ..... further mods.

The original schematic would be very helpful.

Will report back soon.

Thanks 

Steve 

stevenvalve:

--- Quote from: donberry on October 09, 2014, 08:53:35 AM ---I have the older version of the MC34AB - doesn't have the power meter on it, and it has made a scratchy noise for the longest time but I am just now getting around to working on it. Could be wrong and often am, but I have a feeling it is because of some loose tube sockets. None of the sockets could be said to fit like a glove, but 3 in particular are pretty loose. Even if it doesn't fix the noise, still needs done.
I have not examined the heck out of it yet but just did a cursory look - I didn't really see how the beauty rings are attached.  I don't think there is access to them from inside the unit, so I am guessing they are just press fitted or screwed on ?

Figured as long as I am going to be doing that much soldering I may as well finally change the film caps. I didn't splurge on them, just picked up the Mundorf Supreme MKP for the .22uf, have not decided on the 1.0uf. As there are 8 of them it's not going to be too cheap so still trying to decide which way to go. Was looking at some obbligato gold, but couldn't make up my mind so still trying to decide. Wishing I had went with a better .22 cap already but figure I will give them a listen and see how they sound as they won't be hard to change

any info on the beauty rings appreciated

--- End quote ---
obbligato gold, I think they are oil filled, generally oil caps have fuller, fatter, more weightier base than standard film caps of the same value, I find you can get away with running smaller caps than specified by the manufacturer. Are the Mundorf Supreme MKP for the .22uf oil filled.

stevenvalve:

--- Quote from: oceangreen17 on October 12, 2014, 02:32:57 PM ---Also on this topic does anyone have a schematic of the Ming Da MC34 they could possibly pm me?

I recently purchased the famous modded Ming Da and are very curious to research some possible ..... further mods.

The original schematic would be very helpful.

Will report back soon.

Thanks 

Steve

--- End quote ---
  The WA crew may have one, they where really into these amps.

data:
I think I have the copy here somewhere, will have a quick look..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version