Author Topic: Rubidium Clocks  (Read 50776 times)

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
Re: Rubidium Clocks
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2011, 12:11:04 PM »
OK zen clock proto done.

Obviously with a proper pcb this can be much better optimised WRT noise, ground bounce etc.

Scope shot of 11.2896 sine wave (yellow) and OP squared up wave (blue).

Looks pretty good, some of the overshoot is scope probe impedance mismatch but even so
the waveform is nice.

OK Kajak - send me your 11.2896 transport (mine has 16.xxx MHz clock) and I'll send you the
clock for a try.

T
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 11:46:30 PM by zenelectro »

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2011, 11:52:02 PM »
OK zen clock proto done.

Obviously with a proper pcb this can be much better optimised WRT noise, ground bounce etc.

Scope shot of 11.2896 sine wave (yellow) and OP squared up wave (blue).

Looks pretty good, some of the overshoot is scope probe impedance mismatch but even so
the waveform is nice.

OK Kajak - send me your 11.2896 transport (mine has 16.xxx MHz clock) and I'll send you the
clock for a try.

T
Should arrive very soon i hope it doesnt beat my clock other wise more money to spend ;D
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline PET-240

• Liked: 0
  • looks alot like hard work.....
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2011, 09:52:24 AM »
Any news on thoughts of new clock mario?

Offline zenelectro

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2011, 10:20:12 AM »

Proto clock has been to WA and is back in Sydney - will test on SV's system shortly

Kajak says he is sending search and rescue team over to get it back.

Working on PCB's for first batch

cheers

T

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2011, 10:39:16 AM »
 ;D I can chip in here, having heard it I can confirm it improves the sound greatly, the gains initially are in space, eg. width, height, and depth all of which improve substantialy.  That space makes a dramatic change to the ease of listening too. The blackness between notes is also better with the sound emenating from an almost inky black background, nice, really nice.  Once your ears acustom to the additional space you can then focus on the dealination of notes, the way they form and shape, again gains can be heard here; It is such an improvement I WANT ONE and represents cake after jam and bread.  Lets all hope these are made available soon enough and in a variety of frequencies.  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* Pretty please Mr. T.

It should be noted that the equipment supporting the crystal was a Mario modified Marantz 94 cd  player with I2s out, clock being fed by a 12v battery and two dueland caps were used, one across the pwr feed and not excatly sure where the second one was (i.e. down stream or upstream of the regulator) but boy did they bring something to the party.  Damn they are expensive but I can do without Fags, Beer, food for a while to compensate (not that I am a smoker)! but you get the drift. :P  No special eqp supports, interconnects from crystal board to player being made in cat5.

Was there any downsides to it's insertion, nope, don't think so other than the current needed to power it's tempreature compensating oven, a tiny price to pay for such gains and only similar to devices run in class A which brings me easily to a direct comparison, it gives an improvement similar to that of going from a so and so class AB amp to one running pure class A, yup it's that good.

Checking around like a bloodhound for a whiff of what it likely price would be, well good crystals start at around 50AUD from the usual suspects (RS and Farnell) so factor in the board, components (change to flaovour to taste) labour and an honest profit and its likely to be at least 500 dollars, but boy, it will never be the same again.

I hope I have not gone too overboard in this comment, but I thnk you get the gist. I LOVED IT  and Mario has gone into rehab with withdrawl symptoms  as he had to return it to its creator, another forum club member who you'll all know. ;)
V :)
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline zenelectro

« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2011, 12:01:45 PM »

Checking around like a bloodhound for a whiff of what it likely price would be, well good crystals start at around 50AUD from the usual suspects (RS and Farnell) so factor in the board, components (change to flaovour to taste) labour and an honest profit and its likely to be at least 500 dollars, but boy, it will never be the same again.

Thanks VTVD again for the + IP

Just some additional info wrt price / performance

Typical market price for this calibre of oscillator is $250~$300 at std frequencies of 10MHz
Audio related freq are generally custom run and cost more again depending on qty.

The target price for this clock -with- PSU and custom pcb is around $400 so it actually represents pretty good value.

cheers

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2011, 01:21:24 PM »
$250 to $300 dollars for the crystal alone.......... :o :o :o :o  Ok I need to uplift the price above what I earlier thought. ??? Shop bought gear = manufactures cost plus mark up plus distributors / import agent fee plus shop retail which make a 10 dollar product meet the end user at 100 dollars.  :-X So if Mr. T is saying $400 dollars then he had better have a large stock of them as this would be beyond your normal bargin bin pricing and my guess is he would be swamped with so many orders his mind would start drifting to rows of soldering irons in China....................... :'(  Keeping things real you HAVE to place a realistic price on your labour and knowledge /  skills (something true enthuiasts often overlook-myself included) and once accepted for what the product brings to the table think of pretty boxes, shipping, distribution and just watch the moonlight 6 paychecks  ;) pennies roll in. 8).

My old mate DC used to say if you don't buy this you are stupid...........well here I am going to agree with him, to throw down the gauntlet ......you have never heard your CD's before until replayed where the damn stupid $1 crystal junk has been replaced with this 'zen clock'.  16 bit CD's has never sounded as good and I am not using the usual cop out of IMV so stuff you SNA.

Could this be another Finkus / AMR in the making, quite possibly and you have to support these guys who go the extra yard so us audio addicts can get our latest and greatest fix!  :-* :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P  Mr. T I am in awe of your prowess in delivering a product which stood me on my head and came closer to the (27 year old) Phillips bold claim - perfect sound forever, it's now a whole step closer to being a reality.
V
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

tuyen

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2011, 02:19:18 PM »
Guess sometimes just gotta fork out the big $ (relative to standard commercial bits) for the top quality components.  $200-300 for the crystal..?? damn!     not to mention the 2 duelunds..    $1000 clock!

Hrmm, now to figure out which usb transport to use and what freq it uses !!?  the ball never stops rolling! :)

Well done on everything you have done so far, Terry.   Can't wait to hear it when it returns back to Perth  haha

How is the high powered SS amp build going?   ;D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 02:22:29 PM by tuyen »

tuyen

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2011, 05:22:06 PM »
Hi Terry,

NewClassD Neutron Star clocks.   

http://www.newclassd.com/index.php?page=36

Any thoughts/comments/experience on these?

Offline kajak12

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2011, 06:12:30 PM »
Guess sometimes just gotta fork out the big $ (relative to standard commercial bits) for the top quality components.  $200-300 for the crystal..?? damn!     not to mention the 2 duelunds..    $1000 clock!

Tuyen for the clock just 100v volt duelunds is more then enough i will be asking mr.duelund if i can get some say 30 to 50v duelunds made and what would the costs be,maybe we can do a group buy just to fit the clocks out????
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline ozcal

• Liked: 2
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2011, 07:08:09 PM »
Mario , I would be interested in some 4.7uf , 50 v Deulands for my power amp if the price is ok.
Listening with my ears :)

Offline kajak12

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2011, 07:29:10 PM »
Mario , I would be interested in some 4.7uf , 50 v Deulands for my power amp if the price is ok.
I will ask we just have to wait and see how many people are interested in a group buy.

Offline ozcal

• Liked: 2
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2011, 07:43:11 PM »
Cheers Mario
Listening with my ears :)

Offline kajak12

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2011, 07:53:52 PM »
Its awesome i thought the transport was very good at its limits (craps on computer audio imho sna :P) man this is a must get clock for your cd94/philips cd960 collection.I am a total moron for sending it back to zenelectro,now my system took a step back sure good news is i have my amp back  at the end of the day the amp cant make up for what the clock does its just that simple,if it not available at the beginning of the chain you wont make up for it later imho sna.I broke a golden rule i had a listen to something i could not keep not happy jen

Offline kajak12

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2011, 07:58:19 PM »

I hope I have not gone too overboard in this comment, but I thnk you get the gist. I LOVED IT  and Mario has gone into rehab with withdrawl symptoms  as he had to return it to its creator, another forum club member who you'll all know. ;)
Thanks vitavox for reminding me about my withdrawl symtoms but guess what i know i will the first one to get another clock so its all good.
Zenelectro where is my clock? you have 2 weeks to deliver it or your banned until i get it :P :P

Offline zenelectro

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2011, 11:51:13 PM »

Thanks vitavox for reminding me about my withdrawl symtoms but guess what i know i will the first one to get another clock so its all good.
Zenelectro where is my clock? you have 2 weeks to deliver it or your banned until i get it :P :P

Relax Mario, the clock will come back - I am busy using it as a reference for new board design, so it is helping get
next batch done quicker.

Will try and get up to steve's in next few days, however I do actually have to try and earn some money and get
some repairs done.

cheers

Offline kajak12

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2011, 11:56:04 PM »

Relax Mario, the clock will come back - I am busy using it as a reference for new board design, so it is helping get
next batch done quicker.

Will try and get up to steve's in next few days, however I do actually have to try and earn some money and get
some repairs done.

cheers

Cool i have some demo's to do with it,after that you will be working sunday's on clocks ;D

Offline zenelectro

« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2011, 12:54:15 AM »

Cool i have some demo's to do with it,after that you will be working sunday's on clocks ;D

I'm working now and it's almost 1.00am !!! time for sleep

Offline Erik van Voorst

• Liked: 3
« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2011, 08:39:30 PM »
Hi guys

Any news to be reported about the clocks..... ;)

Offline kajak12

« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2011, 12:36:45 AM »
Hi guys

Any news to be reported about the clocks..... ;)
I have a zen clock the only one made so far,zen is having trouble getting  crystals