Author Topic: Black Discus from Mad Scientist Audio  (Read 6069 times)

Offline data

• Liked: 24
Black Discus from Mad Scientist Audio
« on: November 17, 2014, 03:14:20 PM »
http://www.madscientist-audio.com/blackdiscus/

I only tried them as the samples were free, I never thought they would do anything, so when they came and i placed them on the speaker binding post of my amp, i was listening for zero change.

It seemed subtle but something was different for the better, micro detail was clearer and things were smoother, and the sound stage was more right or coherent.

I ended up buying a pair of can opener ones that are about twice the thickness of the samples, and this made it more noticeable, I have the retail ones on the positive binding posts of my amp, and the samples on the positives of my ML-1's now.

Bob doesn't use crazy reasons for how they work, but doesn't go into it for IP reasons of course. But he does have some fun and far fetched reasons listed as he has a sense of humour :)

He says from the free samples that 85% to 90% of respondents noticed an improvement to various degrees, it was subtle for me but was noticeable.

But the bottom line is the samples are free, and if they work for you cool, and if they don't that's cool also. Even Bob likes to get feedback either way.

Edit: I had "bottle line" bloody spell correct gone nuts :(
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 09:09:15 PM by data »

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
Re: Black Discus from Mad Scientist Audio
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 04:20:06 PM »
I'll give the freebies a try.

It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline data

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 04:39:28 PM »
Cool :D

I would have never tried them except for the free samples, I like a bargain....and free is the best bargain :)

The way I figure it what have any of us to loose. I'll be interested in how these work or don't for various folk here and in the different systems....I'm sure Bob will like some feedback on them even more.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 04:54:22 PM »
It could be DBT time.  8)  jk  :P

Offline data

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 06:11:51 PM »
Everyone know what I think of that type of testing, I think it can actually mask real differences in some cases ;)

BUT, Bob actually suggests that people do DBT these, he has found they stand up to this.

Meh..

:)

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 06:35:54 PM »
I know I suffer from bias.  I have no problem with DBT'ing.

Just got to identify the sonic clues reliably before starting.

Offline data

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 06:55:14 PM »
Well, it won't be because you have paid a fortune for them :)

I have zero issue with others doing any testing they like on anything, we are individuals  8)

The only thing I have done is a basic test to see if they reacted to metals or magnets, in both cases nada.

Oh! I do the back and forth thing as a comparison, and with these it meant shielding them when removed. But nothing blind myself.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 06:56:55 PM by data »