Author Topic: Unusual modular dac  (Read 3467 times)

Offline ozcal

• Liked: 2
Listening with my ears :)

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
Re: Unusual modular dac
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 10:01:08 PM »
 ;)  Yes agree, the early Phillips DAC chip underwent the most development (from memory) but was changed after only two editions of players to appease the pimp shirt salesmen who could then brag about having a 16 bit DAC as opposed to the old 14Bit! Ever since then when the machines were built to a standard they were built to a price (low) and the component count went down and the baby was thrown out with the bathwater.  If you have ever had one of the earlier 14 bit players you'd know that they were much more complete machines with multiple boards and power supplies, then bitstream came along, 18 bit, 20bit and now 24 bit..........hmmmmm, all those numbers to crunch compressed to hell and back 16 bit CD's.   A well recorded non compressed CD on one of those early Phillips or Marantz players would wipe the smile from plenty of high priced machines with humbling price tags. (All IMO_SNA)  The early machines had pretty awful filters and op amps which failed to allow the players to shine.  The DAC in question uses 4 of the early DAC chips emulating the CD7 x 2 with a descrete output stage and other tweaky bits and I think offers good value.  Some one please buy one so we can see how good it is!  :D
Tuyen where are you when we need your wallet (ha ha).
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

tuyen

Re: Unusual modular dac
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 10:21:25 PM »
Looks interesting indeed, but unfortunately my wallet is empty and I'm holding out on spending $ on any other dacs for now.  I'll stick to my 14932387#@ chip dddac :D

Yep, I've tried an old cdp (forgot if it was a marantz or phillips) that was running CDM1 and TDA1540 (dual chip?)  and it is really musical.  Not the ultimate in resolution, openness or finesse but music was still smooth with nice energy and life :)