Author Topic: John Kenny Level 2 PDX  (Read 4059 times)

Offline bhobba

• Liked: 9
John Kenny Level 2 PDX
« on: May 28, 2011, 03:24:31 AM »
Hi Guys

I have this DAC in my system right now and it is making me re-evaluate my whole way of listening to music.  It is actually revealing stuff in the material I never knew existed - for better or worse.  I would describe it as unveiled.  Originally me and my friend (he is the guy the DAC was made for) thought some recordings were perhaps a bit bright - perhaps it was revealing some stuff that my bright room exaggerated.  I rang Mike about it and he was scratching his head.  He will check it out when he installs my ML3's.  I have now been carefully listening late at night and realize it is not bright - it is unveiled.  I remember when I had my computer audiophile delusions shattered by a hotted up Marantz transport one way to describe the sound was to say it was crisper - more distinct - more lively - in summery - less veiled.  This is what was happening - not brightness.   I will have to ring him tomorrow and say I was wrong - it was not bright - it was unveiled.

I am like a pig in clover.  Now I realize what is going on I can't pull myself away from it.

Thanks
Bill

Offline Hens

• Liked: 0
Re: John Kenny Level 2 PDX
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 08:41:00 AM »
Just sounds like a change in sonic tone to me.

Eitherway I'm glad you are enjoying it. Do you know if anyone has got one with a full valve rec stage yet?

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 09:48:39 AM »
I am like a pig in clover.  Now I realize what is going on I can't pull myself away from it.
Good work Bill.

Just on brightness,   some music is just bright.   But often,  I find that where some recordings appear to have top end glare,  on closer inspection can be compressed.   

When you find something that appears bright,  take a closer look at the track with Audacity - you might be surprised at what you see.

Then again,  it could just be a bright recording.   For a long time I was struggling with moments of brightness on my system.   It's also a sign that something in the system may not be right  (eg: aged components/caps that need replacing).
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline bhobba

• Liked: 9
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 08:58:24 PM »
Just sounds like a change in sonic tone to me. Either way I'm glad you are enjoying it. Do you know if anyone has got one with a full valve rec stage yet?

I think you are correct about the change in sonic signature,  My understanding is Clay and Mike are not convinced full valve rectification is really that important and costs a bomb so aren't offering it any more.  My friend gave Mike and Clay carte blanch to put anything they like into it but since they didn't bother with valve rectification I suppose its not something that's really on the table right now.

Thanks
Bill