Author Topic: Killer DAC For Bill Hobba  (Read 58311 times)

Offline bhobba

• Liked: 9
Killer DAC For Bill Hobba
« on: May 29, 2011, 12:52:40 PM »
Hi Guys

Now I have sorted out my source - a modified Hiface - I have to bite the bullet and get myself a Killer Dac to go along with my PDX.  Those Phillips double crowns are simply amazing with the music I listen to.  I was going to sell my WFS to check out another Saber based DAC - either the Andedio or the one John Kenny is working on - but really I am only kidding myself - it wont be up to the standard of the PDX or Killer.  If I am going to get another DAC it really should be the Killer.  So guys what's the best way to go about getting one.  I have no doubt Clay (Mikes tech) can fit in the modified Hiface so getting a DAC without an input chip etc etc may be the go.  Also with battery power available from the Hiface Steve Garland may like to run some other things off the battery.  Steve may prefer to fit the Hiface himself - I am open to suggestions.  A little birdy told me Steve may also be interested in checking one of these Hifaces out so this could be the perfect way of doing that.

Anyway guys what do you suggest is the best way to start this journey off?

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 01:06:13 PM by bhobba »

Offline Hens

• Liked: 0
Re: Killer DAC For Bill Hobba
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 02:46:33 PM »
Well Bill you started in the right place.

Steve will no doubt chime in and sort you out. As far as adding the hiface, I'm pretty sure that Steve can accomodate.

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 03:53:13 PM »
Good stuff Bill.

Steven doesnt make many.   Best bet is to give him a ring,  pm him if you dont have his number.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 03:55:51 PM by ozmillsy »
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline bhobba

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 05:08:21 PM »
Well Bill you started in the right place. Steve will no doubt chime in and sort you out. As far as adding the hiface, I'm pretty sure that Steve can accomodate.

Good stuff Bill. Steven doesnt make many.   Best bet is to give him a ring,  pm him if you dont have his number.

Hi Hens and Osmillsy

Don't know his number.  I am sure Mike does and either he can pass it onto me or give him a tingle himself.  But like Hens said I think he will likely chime in now I have posted I want one so wont bug him with a phone call right now. But if say in a week or so he hasn't chimed in I will give him a tingle.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 05:19:15 PM by bhobba »

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 09:45:41 PM »
Well Bill you started in the right place. Steve will no doubt chime in and sort you out. As far as adding the hiface, I'm pretty sure that Steve can accomodate.

Good stuff Bill. Steven doesnt make many.   Best bet is to give him a ring,  pm him if you dont have his number.

Hi Hens and Osmillsy

Don't know his number.  I am sure Mike does and either he can pass it onto me or give him a tingle himself.  But like Hens said I think he will likely chime in now I have posted I want one so wont bug him with a phone call right now. But if say in a week or so he hasn't chimed in I will give him a tingle.

Thanks
Bill
It will be  a long wait bill many others waiting for a demo,regarding the hiface not to sure about that one bill,however once you get one you can always put one in.I doubt it will make it as a kd standards transport imho
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline bhobba

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 10:23:52 PM »
It will be a long wait bill many others waiting for a demo,regarding the hiface not to sure about that one bill,however once you get one you can always put one in.I doubt it will make it as a kd standards transport imho

Hi Mario

Is that demo or being built?  I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the modified Hiface driving a Killer.  But don't take my word for it - there are a couple efforts underway to find out exactly how it does perform.

Thanks
Bill

Offline kajak12

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 11:20:17 PM »
It will be a long wait bill many others waiting for a demo,regarding the hiface not to sure about that one bill,however once you get one you can always put one in.I doubt it will make it as a kd standards transport imho

Hi Mario

Is that demo or being built?  I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the modified Hiface driving a Killer.  But don't take my word for it - there are a couple efforts underway to find out exactly how it does perform.

Thanks
Bill
one is been built now but its not staying in australia its off on a holiday,regarding  bill i know somebody that listened to it at mikes they are still keeping their cd94 ;D we are after body with no whiteness in the sound without digital glare
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 11:22:44 PM by kajak12 »
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline bhobba

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 12:29:46 AM »
one is been built now but its not staying in australia its off on a holiday,regarding  bill i know somebody that listened to it at mikes they are still keeping their cd94 ;D we are after body with no whiteness in the sound without digital glare

I am pretty sure I know who you are speaking of.  And they are not the only one.  But others such as myself have a different view - to our ears it sounds very analogue without the slightest trace of digititis.  Transports are flat and distorted by comparison.  A very careful listening test of some piano in the Dianna Krall Live In Paris album demonstrated it clearly.  That's why it needs to be checked out by others and on other DAC's as well.  But even aside from that I listen exclusively to computer audio.  Since this is the best digital source I know it more or less means it is what I will be using.

Thanks
Bill

Offline kajak12

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 10:20:38 PM »

I am pretty sure I know who you are speaking of.  And they are not the only one.  But others such as myself have a different view - to our ears it sounds very analogue without the slightest trace of digititis.  Transports are flat and distorted by comparison.  A
Thanks
Bill
you have still to hear a great transport bill against the jkenny on a revealing system

Offline bhobba

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 11:46:45 PM »
you have still to hear a great transport bill against the jkenny on a revealing system

I don't think the issue is the transport.  I think the issue is some very experienced ears preferred the transport while other equally experienced ears preferred the Hiface.  While not in the very experienced camp I vastly preferred the Hiface - there was clear distortion in piano and greater detail such as being able hear its foot pedals.  After experiencing this I am mystified by the preference for the transport.  I now have the Hiface equipped PDX in my system and have to tell you initially I and a friend had a problem with it - it seemed a bit 'bright'.  But after more listening I realize it is not bright or glary or anything like that.  It is simply letting more detail through in a way that gives it a lot more life and realism.  I also have to say my friend does not agree with this - he thinks it is digital glare and brightness.  Next time he is down my way we will resume our investigations - by that time I will have my ML3 References which may shed more light on what is going on.  I am finding the more I listen to the JK equipped DAC the more I like it.

Thanks
Bill

Offline kajak12

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 12:26:33 AM »

It is simply letting more detail through in a way that gives it a lot more life and realism.  I also have to say my friend does not agree with this - he thinks it is digital glare and brightness. 

Thanks
Bill
your friend is spot on digital glare and brightness

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 09:15:41 AM »
to be fair mario,  you havent heard it yet. 

I would like to try the JKhiface with i2s, and compare it to a hotrodded cd94.    We'll see,  I'm trying to keep an open mind.
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline bhobba

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 10:23:01 AM »

to be fair mario,  you havent heard it yet.  I would like to try the JKhiface with i2s, and compare it to a hotrodded cd94.    We'll see,  I'm trying to keep an open mind.

Exactly what is going on is unclear right now.  My investigations indicate it is letting through more detail and 'life' with less distortion, but that others have a different view gives me pause.  I am sure it will become clearer over time.

Thanks
Bill

Offline bhobba

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 10:48:33 AM »
Hi All

Actually with regard to the Killer what the go probably is, is to get it with an I2S input and get the John Kenny in a separate box for connection to either the PDX or Killer.  Do you know if Steve has any preferred I2S connection method?  Mike likes three BNC connectors.  Anyone else have any views on this?

Thanks
Bill

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 07:27:02 PM »
Hi All

Actually with regard to the Killer what the go probably is, is to get it with an I2S input and get the John Kenny in a separate box for connection to either the PDX or Killer.  Do you know if Steve has any preferred I2S connection method?  Mike likes three BNC connectors.  Anyone else have any views on this?

Thanks
Bill

We are currently looking at various USB -> I2S options.

Obviously it has to tick all the technical boxes, but more importantly it must not be a sonic step down compared to the best transports.

Terry

Offline bhobba

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
We are currently looking at various USB -> I2S options. Obviously it has to tick all the technical boxes, but more importantly it must not be a sonic step down compared to the best transports.

Hi Terry

Just heard that from another source.  Sounds like a good idea to postpone getting one until that is sorted out.

Thanks
Bill

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 09:24:41 PM »
No Bill, if you really want to get one, order it (i.e. ask Steven nicely) as soon as possible, this is not something you can get at anytime, you can always install tbe USB to I2S transport when the R&D is done.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 09:26:18 PM by Jehuty »
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline bhobba

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 12:47:04 PM »
No Bill, if you really want to get one, order it (i.e. ask Steven nicely) as soon as possible, this is not something you can get at anytime, you can always install tbe USB to I2S transport when the R&D is done.

Yes - very good points.  However I after thinking about it, and chatting to some friends, they all think its best to wait until the USB issue is sorted out - especially considering that's the only input I use - I don't even have a transport.

Thanks
Bill

Offline gamve

• Liked: 219
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 08:29:19 PM »
Hey Bill,
Your considering antying up for a KD, an extra $1500 for a decent modded transport shouldn't hurt too much. Buy some blank CD's and start burning. In my opinion for what little it's worth, is this music computer stuff is still a long way away from being worth the effort. Do you think that with the rubbish standard of computer gear these days that any of the computer manufacturers can be bothered to develop some decent chip sets that can rival the best of the past? It's looking like that is a wishful thinking to me.

Offline bhobba

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 09:20:52 PM »
Your considering antying up for a KD, an extra $1500 for a decent modded transport shouldn't hurt too much. Buy some blank CD's and start burning. In my opinion for what little it's worth, is this music computer stuff is still a long way away from being worth the effort. Do you think that with the rubbish standard of computer gear these days that any of the computer manufacturers can be bothered to develop some decent chip sets that can rival the best of the past? It's looking like that is a wishful thinking to me.

Hi Gamve

For me computer audio is now the only way to go.  To my ears with the JK interface it blows away any transport we have access to up here by a margin so wide its a joke.  Mike held your view and poo pooed me when I insisted my Level 2 PDX use a JK modified Hiface and basically said what you said.  Well he has now turned 180% - computer audio is the new reference - and by a wide margin.  Previous to hearing JK equipped PDX's the Killer DAC was the best DAC I had ever heard just pipping a Level 2 PDX.  But with a JK any PDX bests a Killer.  Caveat here - this is of course from memory.  The real test will of course be in a direct comparison.  There are efforts afoot to bring this about and once that has been done things will be a lot clearer - but I am quietly confident (well not so quietly actually).  I now have my JK Level 2 PDX in my system.  The combination of that, my Leben, and ML3 Reference, blows me away every time I hear it.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 09:30:28 PM by bhobba »