Author Topic: Holy wire to build your killer Stuff  (Read 40201 times)

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
Holy wire to build your killer Stuff
« on: June 03, 2011, 07:30:18 PM »
Here is some solid core wire i just picked up in the USA. This is the type of wire you guys need to look for, New old stock on a wooden bobbin Double silk wrapped 20 GAUGE solid core  1910-40s. The best dielectric you can use. The copper sounds better, this has been sitting around unused for 80 years and has matured. I use this old type of wire in the killerDacs and amps i make. Newer wire with its Teflon or some kind of plastic is rubbish. This was a great score, its hard to find like this, and will find its way into the killerdacs. Keep on the lookout for this stuff and put the links here
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 08:08:06 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
Re: Holy wire to build your killer Stuff
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 07:37:04 PM »
 :o Far out... another unobtainium... My jaw dropped to the floor, will start looking for this type of wire, hopefully able to secure some. Great recommendation as usual Steve, thanks...
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 08:11:18 PM »
:o Far out... another unobtainium... My jaw dropped to the floor, will start looking for this type of wire, hopefully able to secure some. Great recommendation as usual Steve, thanks...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Coated-copper-wire-silk-0-15mm-/140559330774?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b9fd2dd6
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 08:30:31 PM »
Thanks Mario. Anyone here is gonna bid? If not I might go ahead...

Offline kajak12

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 09:14:09 PM »
Thanks Mario. Anyone here is gonna bid? If not I might go ahead...
go for it jehunty i found it its all yours
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 09:28:07 PM »
Cheers mate, I'll get it.

tuyen

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 09:41:15 PM »

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Klangfilm-spool-pair-silk-wire-vintage-1936-/360369790162?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item53e7b69cd2

looks interesting for anyone interested..  no idea if its good or not though.   knowing my luck, it's probably sounds crap!  :P

Offline kajak12

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 11:14:22 PM »

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Klangfilm-spool-pair-silk-wire-vintage-1936-/360369790162?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item53e7b69cd2

looks interesting for anyone interested..  no idea if its good or not though.   knowing my luck, it's probably sounds crap!  :P
looks like it silver plated or tin plated be carefull copper is the way to go in most cases

Offline gamve

• Liked: 219
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 11:23:21 PM »

Looks fairly fine wire. Tonearm rewire? Run several strands for interconnects could work nice.
Good luck with your bidding.

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 11:28:10 PM »

Looks fairly fine wire. Tonearm rewire? Run several strands for interconnects could work nice.

Yeah, I'm gonna use it for IC, not really sure to use it for my DAC, a bit thin I think.... Tonearm rewire? I got no TT but I'm saving for 47 Labs Koma, still loooooong way to go though  ;D
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 11:41:07 PM by Jehuty »

Offline kajak12

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 11:42:42 PM »

Yeah, I'm gonna use it for IC, not really sure to use it for my DAC, a bit thin I think.... Tonearm rewire? I got no TT but I'm saving for 47 Labs Koma, still loooooong way to go though  ;D
3 runs will give you 0.45mm no probs for signal
you can also try 4 runs
braid them lightly

Offline gamve

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 11:57:35 PM »
Just had a bit of a dig around in sh!tbay. Seems to be heaps of Western Electric 20 & 22 gauge silk cloth enamel solid core
in large quantities for sale cheap. Was a bit put off when I saw it is all from ex south east asia. Would have thought most
of this stuff would be available ex USA. Perhaps Steven has experience with this?

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 12:16:28 AM »

3 runs will give you 0.45mm no probs for signal
you can also try 4 runs
braid them lightly

Okay, will do, thanks Mario.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 02:02:41 AM »
Here is some solid core wire i just picked up in the USA. This is the type of wire you guys need to look for, New old stock on a wooden bobbin Double silk wrapped 20 GAUGE solid core  1910-40s. The best dielectric you can use. The copper sounds better, this has been sitting around unused for 80 years and has matured. I use this old type of wire in the killerDacs and amps i make. Newer wire with its Teflon or some kind of plastic is rubbish. This was a great score, its hard to find like this, and will find its way into the killerdacs. Keep on the lookout for this stuff and put the links here
Do not use too thin a wire for dac or amps, preamps, about the thickness of cat five is right. + or -. Unless for tone arms and the like.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 01:25:56 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 02:05:25 AM »
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Coated-copper-wire-silk-0-15mm-/140559330774?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b9fd2dd6
William i think that wire looks too thin, unless for tonarms and stuff. You need too know the gauge, via the add or guess.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 02:07:40 AM by stevenvalve »

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 02:17:12 AM »
Yeah it looks very thin, the ad says 0.15 mm and Cat 5 is 24 gauge (0.5 mm), I guess I'll pass, should be better for someone who owns a TT. The hunt continues...

Offline kajak12

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 12:34:59 AM »
vintage copper on wooden roll kajak12's personal copper goodness :D

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 02:55:34 PM »
Always get the wire without the enamel coating, so no magnet wire. Unless for transformers.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet_wire      Steven

Offline gthicm

• Liked: 0
Novel ideas concerning the electircal properties of mature copper and silk
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 02:18:40 PM »
The observations here seem to be very curious.  Can you explain in technical terms how copper matures for better sound?  How is silk the best dielectric material, and in what applications?  Why is teflon or any other plastic rubbish, for insulation?  Please provide technical reasons for all of this.  No voodoo please!

Offline gamve

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 03:40:44 PM »
My understanding is that silk and cotton used for insulation is superior because it will not take a charge
being a natural material. Most plastics are susceptible to static charges and will store charge from a wire
with current running through it. Don't know how true it is but I was told that the conductor can actually
discharge micro sparks across into the dielectric while the dielectric is is charging? Not scientific but plausible?