Author Topic: Warm up time  (Read 5717 times)

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
Warm up time
« on: June 04, 2011, 01:07:05 AM »
Guys, how long does your amp need to warm up to sound at its best? Mine (JLTi EL34) needs at least 3 hours and I found it quite painful because I'm burning 4 expensive EL34 Philips double D getter for nothing in those initial hours... Is there anything I can do to minimise the warm up time and still get the best sound?

Cheers,
William
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
Re: Warm up time
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 02:11:50 AM »
Guys, how long does your amp need to warm up to sound at its best? Mine (JLTi EL34) needs at least 3 hours and I found it quite painful because I'm burning 4 expensive EL34 Philips double D getter for nothing in those initial hours... Is there anything I can do to minimise the warm up time and still get the best sound?

Cheers,
William

My system takes about 2 hours. but after 6 hours it hums along.

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 11:25:09 AM »

Cheers,
William

a b+ switch is the only thing i can think off

still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 01:39:34 PM »
Okay, I might ask Joe R. about it and maybe in the future for my dac if it doesn't hurt the sound...

Offline Erik van Voorst

• Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 05:14:18 AM »
I think it is hard to give advice in this matter since different sets...component...tubes/transistors......give different outcome  :-\

I think it is also very dependable if your set-up has a daily use and/or if you keep certain circuits always "hot"......

For what it is worth my system needs 2 hours backgroundmusic to reach a nice soundquality (very subjective  ;)).....but another good extra hour of active playing on proper listening level in order to really come on song (again very subjective)   8)

I do not keep the tubes on a "hot" filament but I do keep a few DAC circuits "hot" and the Genesis Digital Lens always "on"

I do feel if your set-up takes longer to shine than 3 hours you might want to change things or leave things "hot" if possible....even if it is only for the sheer reason to enjoy music through out the evenings of a working week... ;)

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 05:01:16 PM »
Thanks Erik, my system is going through changes all the time (as most of us here) in my pursuit of music nirvana, however the main equipment remain the same, i.e. my CD94 transport, Steven's kdac, and my amp JLTi EL34. I'd like to keep them "on" all the time just like my all SS bedroom setup but the thought of burning precious NOS tubes all the time is.......it's just too expensive! ??? If I own a Ming Da MC34AB or killer EL34 I would be more desperate!

For the time being I am doing exactly what you're doing, play the first 3 hours for background music only, then spend another 2 or 3 hours to have an enjoyable musical session. You see 50% or more of my listening session is for background music, hence looking for possible solutions now. B+ switch looks good, so I will talk to Joe R. or other tubes technician about installing them.

Cheers,
William

Offline Erik van Voorst

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 08:25:26 PM »
.... but the thought of burning precious NOS tubes all the time is.......it's just too expensive! ???
William

I would say it is the "fuel" of your choice to make a car...uhhh stereo component...run, so you have to live with this (usage and deterioration)

On the other hand do not under-estimate the quality of your background-music...a good system has an incredible amount of info even on LOW levels...you would be surpised how much you (I) can enjoy that :D  8)

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 09:34:29 PM »
Hi Erik,

Yes, I know it's my choice of fuel, I'm just looking for possible ways to minimise my current wastage.

Agree wholeheartedly regarding the quality of background music, I guess my system is not there yet.... In the long run, I will go with flea power SET which utilises less tubes and I expect more quality watts so that one day my system will produce very good quality background music, then and only then I'll stop moaning about this burning precious NOS tubes!  ;D

Cheers,
William

Offline Erik van Voorst

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 12:19:12 AM »
SET is more quality watts is always fuel for a nice discussion   ;)...but I agree that the pain for tube costs can on average be less ..although SET can be a hell of a lot more expensive, with rare tube prices you actually do not want to know ;)

You do not moan...every now and then I get pretty much a big shock myself and have to listen with a credit card
"ready for battle" if one of my tubes behaves "funny"  :o