Author Topic: New John Kenny SABER DAC  (Read 33321 times)

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
Re: New John Kenny SABER DAC
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2011, 12:40:51 PM »
Jkenny its meaningless comparing your dac to my dac opamp output stage versus a world class valve output stage its like comparing a street car in a race against a drag car on a drag strip you know what will happen before the race starts.
I will  put it to you this way the pdx2 is better then the jkdac my dac will sh!t on the pdx 2
enough said
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline jkeny

• Liked: 0
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2011, 12:47:30 PM »
Calm down! You've read my post all wrong. I'm not doing any such comparison - I have never heard your DAC so I've no opinion on it one way or the other.

If you read my other post, I was saying to borrow Tuyen's JKI2S & run it into your killerDAC - that way you will be able to judge what computer audio sounds like. You are using an OPUS DAC & making all sorts of statements about computer audio based on this crap DAC. Use a good DAC like your Killer & then come back

Edit: Unless of course you do want that pissing contest  ;D

Jkenny its meaningless comparing your dac to my dac opamp output stage versus a world class valve output stage its like comparing a street car in a race against a drag car on a drag strip you know what will happen before the race starts.
I will  put it to you this way the pdx2 is better then the jkdac my dac will sh!t on the pdx 2
enough said
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 12:56:38 PM by jkeny »

Offline kajak12

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2011, 01:04:56 PM »
The jkhiface will be at my house in the next couple of weeks
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline jkeny

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2011, 01:06:38 PM »
Cool! 8)

The jkhiface will be at my house in the next couple of weeks

Offline jkeny

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2011, 01:35:57 PM »
BTW, what computer/OS/software player are you using for playback? What software/device are you using to copy the tracks to computer?

Offline kajak12

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2011, 01:37:38 PM »
BTW, what computer/OS/software player are you using for playback? What software/device are you using to copy the tracks to computer?
Ask tuyen its his computer source setup
ps: i use exact audio copy to burn cd's

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2011, 01:52:47 PM »
Calm down! You've read my post all wrong. I'm not doing any such comparison - I have never heard your DAC so I've no opinion on it one way or the other.

If you read my other post, I was saying to borrow Tuyen's JKI2S & run it into your killerDAC - that way you will be able to judge what computer audio sounds like. You are using an OPUS DAC & making all sorts of statements about computer audio based on this crap DAC. Use a good DAC like your Killer & then come back

I will  put it to you this way the pdx2 is better then the jkdac my dac will sh!t on the pdx 2
enough said
This is a sensible test, i to, will be interested in the result. I run a heavily moded Wadia 3200, and this is essentially a glorified Marantz cd12 and also a  CDC TL1. Will a computer based transport be as good, unlikely but i am open to the possibility. Mario as for Johns DAC, it is probably great for the money, but and is not meant to be competition for a KDAC.

Offline jkeny

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2011, 08:49:26 PM »
Ask tuyen its his computer source setup
ps: i use exact audio copy to burn cd's

Well if you are serious & genuine about giving computer audio a fair audition, you should be interested in the parameters/details of what you are listening to & not just accept a computer set-up that you no nothing about. Who knows it may be the worst possible configuration & anything played through it will sound like crap (even through your Killer DAC)?

Everything matters! After all, You wouldn't just accept any old capacitor in the signal path, would you? Same applies to computer audio playback - the details matter!

Offline jkeny

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2011, 09:00:01 PM »
How about as good as a heavily modified Wadia 850 & a Lector CDP7? Although, I would say it's better than these now as I discovered & have addressed some issues holding back it's performance when those auditions were done https://sites.google.com/site/hifacemods/home/hiface-dac-feedback

enough said
This is a sensible test, i to, will be interested in the result. I run a heavily moded Wadia 3200, and this is essentially a glorified Marantz cd12 and also a  CDC TL1. Will a computer based transport be as good, unlikely but i am open to the possibility. Mario as for Johns DAC, it is probably great for the money, but and is not meant to be competition for a KDAC.

Offline kajak12

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2011, 09:25:56 PM »
How about as good as a heavily modified Wadia 850 & a Lector CDP7? Although, I would say it's better than these now as I discovered & have addressed some issues holding back it's performance when those auditions were done https://sites.google.com/site/hifacemods/home/hiface-dac-feedback
Do you know what modds where done to the wadia?
modded dont mean much jkenny some peple dont know what to do a few weeks ago i modded a cd94 after some well known tech
destroyed it.

Offline jkeny

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2011, 09:34:49 PM »
Do you know what modds where done to the wadia?
modded dont mean much jkenny some peple dont know what to do a few weeks ago i modded a cd94 after some well known tech
destroyed it.
Nope, I don't know exactly what mods were done - we had it opened up & there were Dueland capacitors & Bybee purifiers in there. The mods cost him something like £4,000. The owner auditioned the modded Wadia Vs stock Wadia & next Wadia model up & he decided to pay the £4,000 extra for the modded version!

Agreed, it's all about implementation - Dueland caps can be made sound like crap!

Offline kajak12

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2011, 10:15:56 PM »

Agreed, it's all about implementation - Dueland caps can be made sound like crap!
Duelunds sounding like crap   i have never come across that problem its the only cap that makes real music

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2011, 10:52:35 PM »

John. Modification does not always mean better. Some people can modify components, and be all at sea, very very few modifiers know their stuff, and produce brilliant results, most will take a good transport and can, turn it into sh!t, and or more or less change the sound, but not make it better. The problem is few really are on the ball. You or anyone must have a very very good system as reference, to mod stuff and to make these judgements All most all, technicians don't have a clue how to make great sounding musical systems, but think they do. There is a big big difference between good sound and brilliant sound, and the bottom line is you need a great system to make or mod great sounding components. So as for this test, to me its allmost meaningless. Soon i will give you a really good evaluation of your stuff, and hopefully it will be better than what i expect.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 10:54:19 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline jkeny

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2011, 11:20:02 PM »
John. Modification does not always mean better. Some people can modify components, and be all at sea, very very few modifiers know their stuff, and produce brilliant results, most will take a good transport and can, turn it into sh!t, and or more or less change the sound, but not make it better. The problem is few really are on the ball. You or anyone must have a very very good system as reference, to mod stuff and to make these judgements All most all, technicians don't have a clue how to make great sounding musical systems, but think they do. There is a big big difference between good sound and brilliant sound, and the bottom line is you need a great system to make or mod great sounding components. So as for this test, to me its allmost meaningless. Soon i will give you a really good evaluation of your stuff, and hopefully it will be better than what i expect.

You're speaking to the converted - that's why I said it's all about implementation. My only point in citing the above Wadia is in answer to your question. The user was happy that the modifications sounded better than the stock version (& next model up) - was it a brilliant modification result, I don't know - he certainly thought so. My example was just to give some other points of reference! Meaningless, yes - all evaluations are pretty meaningless - they only apply to the person & their own system - they have little generalisation outside of the particular test configuration. The same could be said for statements about the KillerDAC or your CD mods - almostl meaningless to anybody else!  

Look forward to your evaluation but remember it only applies to your set-up!!

Offline kajak12

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2011, 11:22:25 PM »
hey john  some info on the wadia 850 mechanism http://lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/REFERENCES/TEAC-T1/VRDS-T1.html

This is why the older wadia 3200 or cd94,cd95 and cd85 are tremendous machines done right they lost the plot after early 90's it was all about $$$
To spend 4k on a wadia 850 is kind of scary

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2011, 11:42:32 PM »
Will the JK hiface that Mario is testing have spdif or I2S OP?

Offline kajak12

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2011, 11:48:56 PM »
Will the JK hiface that Mario is testing have spdif or I2S OP?

Tuyens is i2s terry

Offline jkeny

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2011, 12:25:39 AM »
hey john  some info on the wadia 850 mechanism http://lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/REFERENCES/TEAC-T1/VRDS-T1.html

This is why the older wadia 3200 or cd94,cd95 and cd85 are tremendous machines done right they lost the plot after early 90's it was all about $$$
To spend 4k on a wadia 850 is kind of scary
I agree!

Offline bhobba

• Liked: 9
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2011, 06:29:56 PM »
John, I can't seem to find any real information about your JK DAC.
Do you have any specs or information WRT the design? Does it have bal / unbal outputs? Do you just pick off 1 phase of the DAC OP or have you got
an analog phase 'summing' stage to convert the DACs bal to unbal? Are there any special clocks used?

Hi Terry

I see John has promised to post the details once it has completed it tour.  But having had it in my system I can tell you it has a USB input and unbalanced RCA outs.  Besides the connector for charging its internal batteries and a switch to change from charge to use that's it. John has also stated the output is taken direct from the Saber chip without any output stage.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 06:51:03 PM by bhobba »

Offline kajak12

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2011, 06:39:24 PM »
John, I can't seem to find any real information about your JK DAC.
Do you have any specs or information WRT the design? Does it have bal / unbal outputs? Do you just pick off 1 phase of the DAC OP or have you got
an analog phase 'summing' stage to convert the DACs bal to unbal? Are there any special clocks used?

John has also stated the output is taken direct from the Saber chip without any output stage. 

Thanks
Bill
Bill
Besides the opamps built into the chip bill ;D