Tech Corner > Capacitors

Jupiter copper foil capacitor

(1/8) > >>

brenden:
I have had some .01 copper foil Jupiters  and decided to give them a run as bypass caps to get a handle on the  sound quality .I initially placed 2 in my preamp to start with ,and put another 2 in if I got a good result .They replaced some exotic polystyrene copper foils which are my reference in plastic film and foil caps .

Without any burn in it was clear these caps are extraordinary .There was an amazing amount of detail being uncovered .For the first few hours  these caps were bright ,and it was clear they needed burn in time. After that ,they flipped to the opposite , being  overly rich or warm for a few more hours .

Once they began settling they became quite  neutral .These caps have harmonic beauty ,wonderful detail and low level information, and unusual ability to unravel musical lines .Dynamics were also in the top class .
     For a small bypass application  I would place these in the very highest echelon of caps .

So ,I decided to install the other two .Then disaster struck .After bending the lead to install it ,it just  snapped off in my hand .

WTF.     These arent cheap .  The lead broke off right at the epoxy end cap .I hope this isn't going to be a fault with these and it turns out to be a one off .

Anyway ,its not worth the hassle to try and send it back etc ,so I decided to nibble away the epoxy end and see if it could be salvaged .  It looks good at this stage .I will use some of my own annealed silver wire  and solder it to the exposed foil  .
   It certainly looks  feasible at this stage .

I have found that the character of capacitors is remarkably similar when used for both coupling and bypass .
  I am certainly encouraged by the sound quality to try some as coupling caps .I would avoid bending the leads close to the body in future ,but this shouldn't happen with good quality annealed silver .Hopefully it as just an isolated fault.
   I will keep U posted with my repair job and take a couple of photos .

stevenvalve:
.....................so I decided to nibble away the epoxy end and see if it could be salvaged...................

I had the same problem with a quality audionote cap, did as you did and got just enough wire to solder, worked fine.

Jehuty:

--- Quote from: stevenvalve on March 24, 2015, 12:58:03 AM ---.....................so I decided to nibble away the epoxy end and see if it could be salvaged...................

I had the same problem with a quality audionote cap, did as you did and got just enough wire to solder, worked fine.

--- End quote ---

Yep same thing with my Duelund in my KillerDAC. You soldered it back after I butchered the lead!  >:(

brenden:
Here is the repair

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/80197-capacitor-advice-for-leak-amp-please/#entry1316709

ozmillsy:
Oh, its a little cutie.  Must have been a fiddly repair.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version