General HIFI > Cables

Jupiter copper wire - Waxed cotton dialectric + KLE plugs

(1/3) > >>

ozmillsy:
As mentioned in the Jupiter cap thread (click), I stumbled onto some Jupiter copper wire that has waxed cotton dialetric.   I've never tried wire with this type of dialetric before,  so curiosity got the better of me, and I ordered some. 

Here is what the wire looks like up close.

When I strip the end of the wire,  I see that it has multiple layers of cotton, packed *really* tight, as I gently stripped it layer after layer came off,,,,

There is at least 3 layers,  I think possibly 4 layers,  sometimes multiple layers came off together. 

It took a *really* sharp razor blade to cut through the waxed cotton without fraying,  it's really tough stuff !! 

So,  with the bad weather,  I made a pair of interconnects with this stuff this morning.   Started at 8.30, and only just finished them now (at time of writing).   Did I ever mention I dont really like making cables,  it's a damn fiddly job,  and I am relatively fussy as I go.  I would never *ever* consider making cables for sale,  just doesnt interest me.   But I do enjoy the process of trying different things, and hearing what they do.   

Here is the end result.   

I'll describe the details in subsequent posts.

ozmillsy:
Components:
   * Jupiter Solid Copper wire, 28AWG, with waxed cotton dialectric (click) :  8 x 1.2m lengths
   * KLEI Pure Harmony RCA plugs (click)
   * WBT solder

Process:
   * Cut the wire into 8 equal lengths
   * Trimmed the ends to expose the copper (should have done this later, in hindsight)
   * Labelled 4 wires with blue tape,  to indicate these would be signal wire.
   * Braided 4 wires into a cable run, twice.
   * Slid the Harmony rubber grommets onto the cable runs, and this was actually very difficult.  Even taping up the ends of my wire, the copper ends still got bent in the process of squeezing the grommets on.
   * Re-trim the ends, to expose more smooth unbent wire, and trim off the copper that got compromised (I'm fussy about wire with sharp bends in it).
   * Soldered ends onto the Pure Harmony plugs  (the wire runs are 2+2  (2 signal, 2 ground))
   * Buzzed them out, to make sure it's all connected as it should be

Sounds easy and straight forward,  but it's bl00dy fiddly.    Also, that 28AWG pure copper wire is so soft, it's actually hard to work with.

Time to rig up a cheapy system to run them in,,,,,,,

stevenvalve:
Nice job, there is a special satisfaction making cables and then finding they often outperform commercial products. I am really interested in the result.

ozmillsy:
Dont know about that yet Steven,  my hit rate isnt the best.   The last set were pretty aggressive.   Hope these ones are better.    ???

ozmillsy:
Now running in on a SS system, will give them a week running 24x7, before trying them on the main system.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version